PDA

View Full Version : Early Baseball Photos For Auction

Saco River Auction
03-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Hello, All

We have numerous cool 19th century Baseball cabinets and Tin Types being sold next Wednesday April 3rd at 5PM. I have included photos below for your inspection. If anyone is interested in bidding on the items, please call me 207-650-5677

Troy

Notes:
The 1892 Portland Team cabinets feature some Major League players including Candy Lachance and Billy Annis.

The Photo of Kenasaw Mountain Landis is a Photogravure silver on copper piece

The Cosack and company Graded cards are a complete set of 9

Runscott
03-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Nice stuff

Leon
03-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Very nice photos..I am starting to like the old ones!!..(and glad to have Saco River Auctions as an advertiser too.....)

Matthew H
03-29-2013, 01:37 PM
That's it... I'm moving to Maine :)

Runscott
03-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Wow - is that the oldest Annis image?

Kevin - you might be losing John's interest.

Bpm0014
03-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Awesome photos! Do you have a website link so that I can sign up??

Leon
03-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Awesome photos! Do you have a website link so that I can sign up??

http://www.sacoriverauction.com/

drc
03-29-2013, 03:08 PM
The Landis is interesting. It resembles an orotone photograph. Either way, an rare type photograph.

bunst
03-29-2013, 03:25 PM
That's it... I'm moving to Maine :)
I'm happy here, but it doesn't give me any advantage when it comes to quality stuff like that.

bmarlowe1
03-29-2013, 04:51 PM
FYI - the set above includes a correctly identified photo of major leaguer Fred Klobedanz.

C.H. Morse is likely career minor leaguer Charles H. Morse. I don't see Annis in what is posted above.

NewEnglandBaseBallist
03-29-2013, 06:01 PM
"Duke" Klobedanz images are pretty scarce. I've only seen three minor league (New England League) photos of Klobedanz in the past 10 years. The first was an 1896 Fall River Indians team cabinet. The second was a 1907 New Bedford Whalers team Postcard, and this 1892 Portland one.

earlywynnfan
03-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Isn't this the same auction house that haulsofshame says sells photos stolen from public libraries?

Ken

Saco River Auction
03-31-2013, 03:20 PM
Isn't this the same auction house that haulsofshame says sells photos stolen from public libraries?

Ken

What auction house hasn't been accused of selling stolen stuff by that delusional moron? Success always brings out the haters. These are excellent items and are not stolen. We do not sell stolen items. If that's what your looking to buy call Peter Nash of hauls of shame. I am sure he has a barn full of fake and stolen items to sell you.

Rich Klein
03-31-2013, 04:17 PM
Brockleman and Luckey :)

earlywynnfan
03-31-2013, 09:32 PM
What auction house hasn't been accused of selling stolen stuff by that delusional moron? Success always brings out the haters. These are excellent items and are not stolen. We do not sell stolen items. If that's what your looking to buy call Peter Nash of hauls of shame. I am sure he has a barn full of fake and stolen items to sell you.

Could you please put my mind at ease, then? When presented with the fact that the extremely rare cards that were consigned exactly matched ones known to be stolen, how does one go about proving (or at least making very very sure) that the ones in hand are different??

Thanks, Ken

slidekellyslide
03-31-2013, 10:35 PM
I guess all that publicity on the Brooklyn cdv is bringing in some nice baseball consignments. Great stuff!

Saco River Auction
04-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Could you please put my mind at ease, then? When presented with the fact that the extremely rare cards that were consigned exactly matched ones known to be stolen, how does one go about proving (or at least making very very sure) that the ones in hand are different??

Thanks, Ken

Baseball cards are not typically one of a kind items. In the instance of the King kelly, there are several out there that are known, however when some genius with a web blog makes the assertion that our card is the "stolen" one, the people that read that garbage buy into it. I bet if you checked back at every King Kelly card that has been sold, Nash has accused those cards of being stolen.....Not sure if you realize that he and his blog are a joke. He pretends to be a reporter and the morality of your hobby, but he is in fact an admitted forger/thief and has warrants out for his arrest. We as an auction house are not going to get involved in the filth that he publishes. He claims to work with the FBI, but in fact the FBI told me that Nash calls them crying everytime a rare item comes up(if it doesnt belong to him). The moral of the story is simple. We do not sell stolen items nor would we. If our past items were stolen then why hasnt the FBI acted on Nash's inquiries and seized the items that he claims are stolen.....The reason in my opinion is because they dont believe the dribble that he spews either.

Further, I am not going to continue to justify our auction house in this forum. I took a hell of a beating during the two months prior to the CDV selling. Most of the beating was uncalled for and most of it was caused by Nash. Nash is nothing to us and the dribble he spews is less than nothing. Anyone who reads and believes that garbage is probably not capable of being reassured as to the validity of our auction hall.

I now advertise on this site, and I will be posting a monthly run down of our upcoming items for readers to enjoy and possibly bid on, but I am not going to constantly defend the hall over Nash's Rants.

You asked the question"isn't this the hall that sells stolen items" The answer is no!!!
This is the hall that set the world record for a baseball CDV.

Runscott
04-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Baseball cards are not typically one of a kind items. In the instance of the King kelly, there are several out there that are known, however when some genius with a web blog makes the assertion that our card is the "stolen" one, the people that read that garbage buy into it. I bet if you checked back at every King Kelly card that has been sold, Nash has accused those cards of being stolen.....Not sure if you realize that he and his blog are a joke. He pretends to be a reporter and the morality of your hobby, but he is in fact an admitted forger/thief and has warrants out for his arrest. We as an auction house are not going to get involved in the filth that he publishes. He claims to work with the FBI, but in fact the FBI told me that Nash calls them crying everytime a rare item comes up(if it doesnt belong to him). The moral of the story is simple. We do not sell stolen items nor would we. If our past items were stolen then why hasnt the FBI acted on Nash's inquiries and seized the items that he claims are stolen.....The reason in my opinion is because they dont believe the dribble that he spews either.

Further, I am not going to continue to justify our auction house in this forum. I took a hell of a beating during the two months prior to the CDV selling. Most of the beating was uncalled for and most of it was caused by Nash. Nash is nothing to us and the dribble he spews is less than nothing. Anyone who reads and believes that garbage is probably not capable of being reassured as to the validity of our auction hall.

I now advertise on this site, and I will be posting a monthly run down of our upcoming items for readers to enjoy and possibly bid on, but I am not going to constantly defend the hall over Nash's Rants.

You asked the question"isn't this the hall that sells stolen items" The answer is no!!!
This is the hall that set the world record for a baseball CDV.

Troy, I just wanted to say that you are doing a great job handling the public relations end of things For Saco River. I'm sure that your well-thought out and diplomatic response, above, has won you over quite a few additional bidders.

wonkaticket
04-01-2013, 01:55 PM

Big +1 Anyone looking to Peter Nash for direction or awareness to fraud need look no further than Peter Nash himself. Taking Peter Nash’s word on fraud via his website is like reading a blog on Anti-Semitism run by Hitler.

bcbgcbrcb
04-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Why does this auction house create so much interest/controversy from board members when they post an auction on Net 54? When Hake's, Lelands, Huggins & Scott, etc. post the start of their auctions there are usually few, even next to no replies.

Leon
04-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Why does this auction house create so much interest/controversy from board members when they post an auction on Net 54? When Hake's, Lelands, Huggins & Scott, etc. post the start of their auctions there are usually few, even next to no replies.

Beginners luck.

Runscott
04-01-2013, 03:32 PM

That's easy.

The other auction houses you mentioned sell high-end rare stuff on a regular basis - Saco's Brooklyn cdv came out of nowhere.
If the other auction houses you mentioned had auctioned a questionable piece, we would have discussed it, as we always do.
The other auction houses you mentioned might not have even responded (they normally don't), but if they had, their responses would have had a different 'tone' that might have reflected a different level of expertise and knowledge regarding such pieces.
Basically, Troy's responses in the Brooklyn cdv discussion weren't the type you would have gotten from the other auction houses you mentioned. That's fine - his willingness to speak his mind passionately was appreciated.
The key point: no one here was picking on Saco then, and no one is now.

bcbgcbrcb
04-01-2013, 03:38 PM
I was not trying to imply that Saco is being picked on too much by board members. Instead, I am wondering why the level of interest in their auction is so great now when many other auction houses have numerous historical offerings on their side?

Runscott
04-01-2013, 03:53 PM
I was not trying to imply that Saco is being picked on too much by board members. Instead, I am wondering why the level of interest in their auction is so great now when many other auction houses have numerous historical offerings on their side?

I was responding to your question: "Why does this auction house create so much interest/controversy from board members..?"

I don't personally think their auction generates any special amount of interest, but it does generate discussions here on the board, for the reasons I mentioned above. The comment about us picking on him was more of a response to Troy's last post. Any time a representative of an auction house posts the way Troy does, you are going to get discussions - he is sort of inviting them by the types of comments he makes. I have to think that he feels it helps generate bids, or he wouldn't do it. It's sort of a new business model I suppose - maybe we can look forward to all the major auction houses hiring p.r. people like Troy to post here. Personally, I think that would be fun.

Regarding the level of discussion as related to other auction house items, the Brooklyn cdv was an aberration - as Troy mentioned, $90,000 is kind of a lot of money, and you would expect such an item to generate extra discussion.

RCMcKenzie
04-08-2013, 10:17 PM
When I first saw these Portland cabinets offered, I thought that it would be nice if they were kept together as a set. As it turns out, it appears that I was the one who broke up the set....

www.ebay.com/itm/390563463197

I managed to win the Jim Rogers and Billy Annis, and he apparently won all the rest. I am glad to have learned the photographer's name, Charles E. Jackson. He notes that the players names are also written on the backs, which looks to me to be in the same hand (i.e.- not autographs). The cabinets should arrive this week and I will post some scans.

Matthew H
04-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Dang, I forgot about those... I wanted to try to get one.

yanks12025
04-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Looks the same buyer as the Brooklyn card. Still don't understand if you're trying to make a profit to put to your kids medical bills, why keep spending money on stuff that could lose you money.