PDA

View Full Version : Message to Dr Muchinsky

MK
03-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Paul,
I have a feeling you were the winner on ebay of this Cubs pin. If not, I would still like your opinion on just how you think this could have come about. According to the seller, it is 1.75 inches in diameter. It appears to be a combination of the crossed bat style pin, without the crossed bats, with a bear in that spot. The bear seems to be the same one used in pin L-q-11 from your book. In addition, I have never seen a Cubs crossed bat pin orange in color in the 1.75 inch size, only the 1.25 inch size. Maybe I'm wrong about that, I've just never seen one. Anyway, IF they didn't make a crossed bat pin in this size and color, then how do you think this particular pin came about. If they were made in large numbers one would think they would pop up from time to time, but I have never seen another. Your wise counsel would be appreciated.

springpin
03-26-2013, 08:48 PM
There are pins of this general design, crossed bats on top and fine speckling on the bottom, that were made without the crossed bats. Two that come to mind are pins for the Orioles and the Cardinals. A similar one for the SF Giants features the Golden Gate Bridge. The Cubs pin features the bear, another iconic image. Given is scarcity, it must have had a very limited press run. Wish I knew the exact year of production.

Paul