PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day

jimhopkins82
03-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Ever since I started working full time after college, I've taken opening day off and watched baseball all day. (I also eat whatever I want, I've been eyeing those Dairy Queen blizzard commercials for a month) Its one of my favorite days of the year. Nothing too unique but I enjoy it. I was wondering if anyone else does anything special on opening day?

AMBST95
03-26-2013, 07:38 PM
My son (turns 2 in May) and I will be attending our second Orioles Opening Day together. We will probably sit in our seats for all of 2 innings and then eat some ice cream, walk around looking at the sights, and then go home. It's his and my special day together, without Mom or his sister, that I hope remains a lifelong tradition.

hangman62
03-26-2013, 08:05 PM
I used to blow off work and go to Mets opener for about 8 yrs..in the mid 1990's ...but now watch from the TV room

HRBAKER
03-27-2013, 04:30 AM
I usually take Opening Day off and veg out watching all day.

AMBST95
03-27-2013, 05:42 AM
This brings up something I think MLB does wrong. There should be a uniform Opening Day. I can understand giving last year's champ a game the day before, but there is no reason for MLB not to have all teams start the same day. It seems like every year, half the games are one day and the other half the next, or maybe even the day after that. If MLB made a concerted effort to make Opening Day more of an event, it could become one of those blockbuster days, just short of the Opening Round of March Madness or college football on Black Friday. It'd be one day of the year that MLB would own. With the MLB Network and ESPN, there really is a PR opportunity that MLB gets caught looking on every season.

jerseygary
03-27-2013, 06:56 AM
Ever since I started working full time after art school, I had a provision put in all my employment contracts that I get opening day off and 3 half-days for baseball day games a year. I've done that in every city I lived - Baltimore, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Los Angeles... being in the creative field my co-workers and bossed thought it was eccentric. To me it was baseball and opening day is like New Years Eve to me. Now that I work for myself I no longer have to do that, but I wouldn't think of missing opening day, especially since I live across the river from Cincinnati which is the best place in the country for opening day.

If you've never been to Cincinnati for one, you absolutely must. The parade is something special to see and the city entirely shuts down. The festive atmosphere is like no other baseball-related event in any league.

When my tickets arrived in the mail last week, I got a feeling like I was a kid again. This year I get to take my fiancee to the parade and game, a tradition I hope to continue as long as we live. The extra bonus is she is a die-hard Angels fan and that just so happens to be who the Reds are playing that day. It's inter-league, but just the same, it's baseball!

MLB really screwed up when they took the first pitch out of Cincinnati. This city sure knows how to embrace the game. Japan? Puerto Rico? Cincinnati is where it should begin, every year.

sycks22
03-27-2013, 07:20 AM
I remember the mid to late '90's of going to the Twins opener in the dome. Everyone was excited for the upcoming year, until Brad Radke let up a leadoff bomb and we were depressed again. After a week or so you could get upper deck tickets and sneak down to the lower levels and sit in the front row if you wanted.

blackandgold
03-27-2013, 07:49 AM
I always take the day off. I think this year I will save my Easter baseball cards for Monday afternoon. Hot dogs, cold beer and busting packs while watching baseball seems like a perfect way to spend the day.

Michael Peich
03-27-2013, 08:18 AM
As a Phillies season ticket holder I have not missed a home opener in years, usually taking my son to the game with me when he wasn't in college or working. For the past three years my daughter has flown in to spend the home opener with me, and will do so again this year. Here we are last year, ever hopeful, but soon to be disappointed as the Phils lost to the Marlins (the Marlins?) 2-6. The score didn't matter--we had a great time together. Priceless.

Cheers,
Mike

PS-Those aren't any pretzels--they're Philly pretzels!

queencitysportscards
03-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Ever since I started working full time after art school, I had a provision put in all my employment contracts that I get opening day off and 3 half-days for baseball day games a year. I've done that in every city I lived - Baltimore, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Los Angeles... being in the creative field my co-workers and bossed thought it was eccentric. To me it was baseball and opening day is like New Years Eve to me. Now that I work for myself I no longer have to do that, but I wouldn't think of missing opening day, especially since I live across the river from Cincinnati which is the best place in the country for opening day.

If you've never been to Cincinnati for one, you absolutely must. The parade is something special to see and the city entirely shuts down. The festive atmosphere is like no other baseball-related event in any league.

When my tickets arrived in the mail last week, I got a feeling like I was a kid again. This year I get to take my fiancee to the parade and game, a tradition I hope to continue as long as we live. The extra bonus is she is a die-hard Angels fan and that just so happens to be who the Reds are playing that day. It's inter-league, but just the same, it's baseball!

MLB really screwed up when they took the first pitch out of Cincinnati. This city sure knows how to embrace the game. Japan? Puerto Rico? Cincinnati is where it should begin, every year.

Very True! Well Said!

packs
03-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Wow I had no idea that goes on. Thanks for posting that. I have to get myself out there for one.

itjclarke
03-28-2013, 12:08 AM
I can understand giving last year's champ a game the day before, but there is no reason for MLB not to have all teams start the same day.

The 2012 champs open the same day (4/1) as most everyone else. I think it'd take at least 2 more consecutive WS for the Giants to command that sort of special prime time (3/31) slot.

freakhappy
03-28-2013, 02:00 AM
The 2012 champs open the same day (4/1) as most everyone else. I think it'd take at least 2 more consecutive WS for the Giants to command that sort of special prime time (3/31) slot.

What's up with that, Ian? World champs should play the first game of the year. Seems like the NFL got it right...what's up MLB??

Oh yeah, Ian...I had my baseball draft this past Sunday. Any guesses on who my first pitcher taken was? Yeah, it's Matt Cain :D Got the Panda too...looks like I'll be winning this year, lol! All that crap I put you through last year and I take Cain in the third round....I must be bi-polar or something :rolleyes:

dabigyankeeman
03-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Even though i am a Yankee fan, i live in south Florida, and for about 10 years my boss and I would leave work and go to the Marlins home opener. Now i am retired and stay home and watch the Yankees on tv.

AMBST95
03-28-2013, 08:20 AM
As a Ravens fan, we get to start on the road, so I'm not too happy with the NFL's schedule either right now. I'm just suggesting all clubs play their first game on the same day. Let's make it an event!

bigwinnerx
03-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Not opening day, but, after going to Clearwater a few weeks ago (and seeing Halladay only last an inning) my brother and I are bundling up our 3 daughters aged 3, 4 and 5 and going to the Phillies On Deck Series (Spring Training games in Philly) game vs. Toronto on Saturday.

Should be a laid back atmosphere and perfect for what will amount to us getting snacks and walking around to lots of bathrooms. Plus, can get into the stadium for about $6 a person right now.

rjackson44
03-28-2013, 08:53 AM
gooo oakland as lets bring the 70s back:D

Paul S
03-28-2013, 10:55 AM

I used to live in the Bay Area in the seventies. We'd go to Oakland/Alameda when the Yankees were in town. The three years the Athletics were in the World Series -- -- 72, 73, 74 -- anyone could walk up to the ticket office at gametime and easily score quite nice tickets. sigh

rjackson44
03-29-2013, 07:09 AM
Paul thanks for the memories I love baseball and the Oakland had the great uniforms and players I hope they have a great year

peterose4hof
03-29-2013, 09:56 AM

Ive always heard such great things about the Opening Day festivities in Cincy. As a lifelong Reds fan its been near the top of my things to do list. That's why I am so happy to say my wife and I are going this year! We will be there from the beginning of the parade until the final pitch taking it all in!

bbsports
03-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Living in the N.Y./N.J. area, ticket prices have gone through the roof on opening day, if you can get them. For the last few years, I've order extra innings so I can see any game I choose. With all the injuries, it could be a rough year for the New York teams. What best about opening day is before the first pitch is thrown on Sunday night, all teams are in first place. To all the fans on net54, enjoy the baseball season.

itjclarke
03-29-2013, 10:50 PM
What's up with that, Ian? World champs should play the first game of the year. Seems like the NFL got it right...what's up MLB??

Oh yeah, Ian...I had my baseball draft this past Sunday. Any guesses on who my first pitcher taken was? Yeah, it's Matt Cain :D Got the Panda too...looks like I'll be winning this year, lol! All that crap I put you through last year and I take Cain in the third round....I must be bi-polar or something :rolleyes:

Love it Mike! I hope those guys pay off for you. I had my first ever FFBB draft this year. I missed on Posey (drafted third so probably was too high to take him), whiffed on Cain/Bumgarner (both went sooner than I'd hoped) but did score my favorite round 3rd baseman, then got Vogelsong (love everything about that guy) as my 5th starter, and finally Pagan with my 24th and last pick.

I'll be flying most of opening day, which bums me a little, but will be at AT&T for our home opener Friday. Psyched on the Buster Posey signing today.. we've got Posey, Bumgarner and Cain all locked up through their first few free agent seasons. That's an awesome and still very young core.. hope to keep Panda around and healthy too.

Admittedly, I'm a little nervous about the Dodgers' crazy acquisitions, but it will make for a great NL West race.

Seattle799
03-29-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm going to the Twins opener on Monday.

Forecast? 35 degrees with 19 mph wind.

Wind Chill? 12 degrees.

At least Vegas only has us losing 98 games this year.

itjclarke
03-29-2013, 10:55 PM

Between Reddick and Blackley, you have all the head and facial hair needed to accomplish that

Seattle799
03-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Yes, Seattle799 was a poor user name for someone from Minneapolis...

mets41
03-30-2013, 11:18 PM
I think that opening day should be a national holiday

jerseygary
03-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Come to Cincinnati tomorrow, you'd think it is!

jimm
03-31-2013, 04:11 PM
I usually get one Monday off per month and I can finagle the schedule enough to always get opening day off. Giants begin their second World Series title defense in 3 years in Chavez Ravine...wouldn't miss it :cool:

t206blogcom
04-01-2013, 11:06 AM
I think that opening day should be a national holiday

+1 Especially since it's the national pastime.

Jlighter
04-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Lets get this thing started.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Jcfowler6
04-02-2013, 11:38 AM
I go to the Pirates home opener each year. I get at least one hot dog at the game. I accidentally ate three this year.

itjclarke
04-02-2013, 12:13 PM
I go to the Pirates home opener each year. I get at least one hot dog at the game. I accidentally ate three this year.

That's a gorgeous ballpark.. and I'm sure made even better by the dogs. I really want to get out there sometime, maybe for an SF series (you guys took it to us last year!).

jimm
04-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Pittsburgh's ballpark along with ATT in SF are 2 of my favorites. I would love to follow the Giants for a Cincy - Pittsburgh roady.

itjclarke
04-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Pittsburgh's ballpark along with ATT in SF are 2 of my favorites. I would love to follow the Giants for a Cincy - Pittsburgh roady.

I'll post if I make any road games this year.. I'd love to possibly connect with a fellow Giant fan/collector at a road park.

Giants' first hurdle cleared, 2 of 3 in LA from the very formidable and spendy 2013 version of the Dodgers. I'm fired up for Friday's home opener vs the Cards.. I'll be there BBQing/drinking before and yelling during. Looks like there's a possibility of rain, shades of game 7 glory in the NLCS last year.

Jcfowler6
04-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Would love to meet up with any of you guys. Let me know when you are in Pittsburgh.

itjclarke
04-05-2013, 01:28 AM
Would love to meet up with any of you guys. Let me know when you are in Pittsburgh.

Absolutely. I'll be on the other side of the state next week for work. Would love to catch a Phillies game out there sometime, but I'll be totally tied up with work this trip.. No idea whether they're home next week or not anyway.

jimm
04-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Looks like a beautiful day at ATT for the home opener vs StL. Good times with the flag raising and all, Go Giants!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/1706_10151354279286828_272594378_n.jpg

Runscott
04-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Last night Opening Day finally arrived in Seattle.

The giant scoreboard was unveiled. Surprisingly, it wasn't distracting - actually kind of cool.

We also had a drunk run across the field and meet with the customary treatment.

Coolest of all - successful suicide squeeze by the Mariners. Perfectly executed.

jimm
04-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Very cool, finally got to my first game last night. A couple moon shots by Pence and CarGo!

itjclarke
04-10-2013, 12:26 AM
Nice. Pence is looking good so far (as are Pagan, Sandoval). Gonna be real nice when Posey starts lighting it up. I'm watching tonight's game from my hotel in Philly.. Is 2:25 am here and I have a 6:30am flight to catch, but I'm fired up cuz we just took a 7-6 lead.. Check that 8-6. Setting up to be a miserable day tomorrow though!