PDA

View Full Version : Shorter season/terminate DH

pitchernut
03-26-2013, 11:57 AM
So what do you all think? Start MLB officially on Memorial Day and start the playoffs on Labor Day. Get rid of the DH!!! Also bring back all no-no's that went for at least 7 innings but called do to weather etc. And while I'm at it free games for those under 12 when accompanied by a paying adult. Ok ok the last two would be great but definitely the first two.:rolleyes:

tiger8mush
03-26-2013, 03:00 PM
1) i'd be fine w/a shorter season, maybe around 140-something games?

2) sure, get rid of the DH, but thats what AL vs NL is all about. Being different and coming together at the end of the season to decide which League had the best team.

3) no-no's - not sure what "bring them back" means

4) all kids under 12 free - that would get families back to the ballparks, i like that idea better than the 3 above :)

39special
03-26-2013, 03:27 PM
I would also get rid of inter league play and day night double headers.

pitchernut
03-26-2013, 03:30 PM
I say get rid of the DH because it is a modern day add on that we just don't need anymore.
Back in 1991 MLB in their infinite wisdom did away with any no hitter that did not go 9 innings even when the game was called and official, due to weather or darkness.
I should clarify the last one, no more than 6 children per paying adult:D

Jlighter
03-26-2013, 05:32 PM
So what do you all think? Start MLB officially on Memorial Day and start the playoffs on Labor Day. Get rid of the DH!!! Also bring back all no-no's that went for at least 7 innings but called do to weather etc. And while I'm at it free games for those under 12 when accompanied by a paying adult. Ok ok the last two would be great but definitely the first two.:rolleyes:

Memorial Day to Labor Day! That's three months.:eek:

I love Baseball so I have no need to shorten the season. Plus why would the owners agree to that.

I have no need to see pitchers hit.

I agree abolishing inter-league play, except for a few "rivalries"

Mets v. Yankees

Angels v. Dodgers

Jayworld
06-28-2013, 09:18 AM

Some good points. I have always hated the DH. Used to be, both leagues were very separate, but now, with inter-league play and one league office, that line has been blurred almost to the point of the NFL with the AFC/NFC. Each league used to have its own baseballs, offices, etc. When I was a kid, the AL home plate umpires used the big, outside chest protectors, and the NL umps wore the "inside" version, but that changed a long time ago. If you are going to have separate leagues, then HAVE separate leagues.

1. 154 game season, like it used to be. Not have the World Series start in October when it is very cold in many of the northern cities

2. No DH. If you have a DH, then the DH should be allowed to hit for the weakest hitter on the team in the starting lineup, not necessarily the pitcher (a few pitchers actually can hit). By the way, did you all know this about the DH rule (from MLB website):

Once the game pitcher is switched from the mound to a defensive position this move shall terminate the DH role for the remainder of the game. Once a pinch-hitter bats for any player in the batting order and then enters the game to pitch, this move shall terminate the Designated Hitter role for the remainder of the game.

Once a Designated Hitter assumes a defensive position this move shall terminate the Designated Hitter role for the remainder of the game.

3. All-Star game winner does NOT determine World Series home team. That's just goofy, and comes from the Selig screw-up of calling the All-Star game a tie. That was bogus.

4. Kids 10 and under either free with paying adult (one kid per one adult ticket sold) or at a discount.
5. MLB pants must go no lower than mid-calf, and sanitaries and stockings must be worn. No uni-sock or printed stocking all-in-one sock. They are called UNIFORMS for a reason. All players should look the same, not some with high cuff and some with pajama pants.