PDA

View Full Version : second chance offer

benderbroeth
03-25-2013, 10:04 PM
So I lost a luis aparicio rookie on eBay, and in less than an hour after losing I get a second chance offer of $34 now I think that is still a decent price forms PSA 4 but on the other hand I fear I have been shilled

Craig M
03-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Edward,

Listen to your gut instinct; it almost always is right!

Craig

JollyElm
03-26-2013, 12:36 AM
So I lost a luis aparicio rookie on eBay, and in less than an hour after losing I get a second chance offer of $34 now I think that is still a decent price forms PSA 4 but on the other hand I fear I have been shilled

You're right, that's a total shill job. If you want the card, I'd shoot him a counter offer lower than the $34 price tag.

ctownboy
03-26-2013, 06:14 AM
If you think you have been shilled WHY do business with this person at all?

An Aparicio Rookie doesn't sound like a card that would be too hard to find. More importantly, if the seller shills their own auction (or has somebody else do it) then what is to say you would even receive the card you thought you were paying for?

What if you pay for an Aparicio Rookie in PSA 4 and they send a PSA slab with a fake card in it? What if they send a totally different card? What if they send you an empty box?

Nope, if I bid on an auction, was sent a Second Chance offer and thought I had been shilled, I would just put that seller on my blocked list and move on.

David

D. Bergin
03-26-2013, 07:06 AM
Ask them if it is the same card. Maybe they have two.

If it's the exact same card, I'd be concerned it was a shill.

SushiX37
03-26-2013, 07:28 AM
What if you pay for an Aparicio Rookie in PSA 4 and they send a PSA slab with a fake card in it? What if they send a totally different card? What if they send you an empty box?

That's just fear mongering. There is enough buyer protection on eBay to assure nothing like this will happen, and if it does you'll get your money back. I've been on that side a few times, and eBay bends over backwards to accomodate the buyer.

Everything on eBay isn't shilling. Let's not always jump to the worst possible conclusion.

Rich Smith

cubsfan-budman
03-26-2013, 07:41 AM
i have a feeling the guy has 2 (or more) cards.

Paul S
03-26-2013, 08:13 AM
Edward, I have that card raw, at least around the grade you were looking at. It's been with me since the latter 60's but time for Luis to leave the nest. Shoot me a PM with a link to the card in question and your email address so I can send you scans. No shilling allowed.

Runscott
03-26-2013, 10:42 AM
My take on second chance offers:

When a winning bidder backs out, and I offer a 2nd chance to the underbidder, they NEVER accept
When I win an item and it is not as described, the seller almost ALWAYS tells me that the underbidder has asked that they sell it to them if the winner backs out

Runscott
03-26-2013, 11:17 AM
BTW - I wasn't involved in the auction in question. It just got me to thinking about two very recent experiences.

benderbroeth
03-26-2013, 11:35 PM
The only reason I think I was shilled is because it happened litteraly an hour or two after the auction was over

h2oya311
03-26-2013, 11:58 PM
Ask the seller for rationale of the second chance offer. Perhaps, as another poster suggested, the seller has two PSA 4's. If it's exactly the same card, you should suspect shilling. If it's a second one, ask for scans and be confident that you have not been duped in some way.

tonyo
03-27-2013, 08:07 AM
It hasn't happened to me very often, but when given a second chance offer, I counter with $1 more than the highest bid of the third highest bidder. Since that's the price I would have won the card at had the "winner" (shiller?) not been involved.

Tony