PDA

View Full Version : The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin & Company

T3s
03-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Hi,

I've never really collected Old Judge cards, but I just have to say - "The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin & Company" is really a special book.

I'm not shilling for the authors or anything like that. I bought a copy a while back and it's basically sit on my shelf. However, every time I take a look at it I am amazed at the quality and detail given to its production. If you're a vintage card collector or vintage baseball fan and if you don't have a copy or haven't seen it, you're missing out.

Just my two cents.

Happy Collecting,
Craig

Al C.risafulli
03-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Agreed. I think it's the single greatest hobby book there is. Unbelievably well-done from start to finish.

-Al

AMBST95
03-25-2013, 08:47 PM
This is hilarious. I was literally looking at buying a copy online about an hour ago.

oldjudge
03-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks Craig. It was a labor of love that is made all the more rewarding by comments like yours.

Jay

caramelcard
03-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Yeah, the best thing about it is that I now don't need to collect OJs. I can just enjoy the book.

Rob

Matthew H
03-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Nice post Craig. Without the book, I'd know very little about the cards. There are a few other resources on OJs but nothing even 10% of what the OJ bible offers.

Jay once told me how many were printed... I was surprised... If anyone is planning on getting one some day, the time is now. There really aren't that many of 'em.

yomass
03-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Just in case someone wants to get a book, they are still available for $50 each postpaid. Send a check to:
Richard Masson
PO Box 132
Versailles, KY 40383

ullmandds
03-26-2013, 02:26 PM
I have to agree with a lot that has been said here...I am not a collector of OJ's...I've had a few over the years but I recently sold them...but this book is phenomenal! One of the best resources in the hobby...and I ditto what has been said...now I don't have to collect them because this book has most of them in it!!!!!

I paid double that...$50 is a steal!!!!

Jason
03-26-2013, 02:27 PM
It really is an amazing reference guide for OJ's.I got one about 2 months ago.Very happy with it.It makes me want some OJ's but I'm trying to keep my current focus.Great job by all involved.

Bosox Blair
03-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Got mine just recently. Ditto all the good comments - a fantastic book! I'm not really an OJ collector...only own 2 nice examples. But the book is just great.

If I'd known Richard was selling them for $50, I would have bought direct. I like to support the people who put in the effort to create such a work. Instead I bought from a seller on eBay who had 12 new copies for $35 each with free shipping anywhere in the US. He sold out of the dozen in about 3 weeks.

Cheers,
Blair

tinkertoeverstochance
03-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Robert,

I have to disagree. The OJ book makes me want to expand my collection and get even more N172's. Moreover, I was fortunate enough to buy some OJ's straight from Jay at the national 2 years ago that were 1) in the book, and 2) on my want list for a very long time. One such card, the N172 Kid Gleason, will be in my collection for a very long time.

Lee

bcbgcbrcb
03-26-2013, 05:22 PM
Been thinking about it for a while now and just picked up my used, like new copy on Amazon today for $56 + $4 shipping (not sure how the shipping could be that cheap given how heavy the book is).

RCMcKenzie
03-27-2013, 02:59 AM
Just in case someone wants to get a book, they are still available for $50 each postpaid. Send a check to:
Richard Masson
PO Box 132
Versailles, KY 40383

I searched high and low because I'm a Scottish cheapskate and paid $77 and was really geeked about it. I saw this book for sale for $225. $50 is a very generous offer and y'all should buy this book for that.

JollyRoger
03-27-2013, 05:25 AM
Awesome book. I also picked up a brand new copy from the seller on eBay for $35. I debated on buying the book or spending the money on cards, and I'm so glad I got it!

AMBST95
03-27-2013, 05:46 AM
I searched high and low because I'm a Scottish cheapskate and paid $77 and was really geeked about it. I saw this book for sale for $225. $50 is a very generous offer and y'all should buy this book for that.

I second this!!! I just paid well over 50 for mine