PDA

View Full Version : May 26, 1935 Babe Ruth Ticket Stub

Shoeless Moe
03-25-2013, 06:58 PM
I've been watching Ebay for many years and been looking for tickets stubs for Babe Ruth's final games to no avail.

When 2 finally came up for his 3-Homer Game vs the Pirates at Forbes Field, one April 2009 at Memory Lane Auctions ($5795) and 2nd one more recently at SCP Auctions November 2011
($5251), they went for astronomical prices and were well out of my range.

https://catalog.scpauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=17085

After Ruth's 3 Homer game on that Saturday in May of '35, he and the Braves went to Cincy for a couple, and then he hung it up in Philadelphia.

I contiuned looking hoping one would come up on Ebay, knowing anything after the 3 homer game would be significantly cheaper, well finally got one.

I then seached many auction houses and can't find one from that Sunday May
26th game or any from after that, as Ruth would retire from baseball 4 days later. So while I'm sure they are out there somewhere I for now believe this to be one of the only tickets from the final games of the Bambino. If any one has one please share it.

There is a great story from this May 26th game that was in Sports Illustrated:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1138666/

Bumpus Jones
03-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Congrats Paul! I'm glad you ended up with it!

Shoeless Moe
03-26-2013, 04:10 AM
Congrats Paul! I'm glad you ended up with it!

Thanks, my high bid was only $10 more than the runner up sniper, who turns out was ebay id Baseballticketman. So I got a lil' lucky.

I've sold to him b4 and from time to time check out his purchases, he buys every ticket out there, he must have an amazing collection.

Scott Garner
03-26-2013, 04:31 AM
Thanks, my high bid was only $10 more than the runner up sniper, who turns out was ebay id Baseballticketman. So I got a lil' lucky.

I've sold to him b4 and from time to time check out his purchases, he buys every ticket out there, he must have an amazing collection.

Baseballticketman = Dan B.
Dan is a close friend and unquestionably has the greatest and most comprehensive collection of baseball tickets going. FWIW, he has been collecting this theme longer than anyone that I know in the hobby by nearly a decade.

Dan's focus is to collect every baseball postseason ticket, and a type ticket from every season from every team. Dan is an author and is currently writing two books on baseball ticket collecting.

I have been fortunate to look at some of the preliminary work on his books and they are truly going to be unbelievable references! Stay tuned!

BigJJ
03-26-2013, 05:17 AM
Can't wait for that reference book.
Great pickup.