PDA

View Full Version : T206 set for black pro teams 1909-11

Runscott
03-24-2013, 05:17 PM
I initially thought this might be too much, but after identifying a possible base set of teams, and a few days of compiling rosters, line-ups, etc., I'm far enough along to where I think it will work.

New project: black t206 set. Initial plan:

sheets of e-cards - you can physicalize them if you wish
I will create black and white cards first, colorizing as time and practicality permits
possibly with a sheet of backs that include bios
1909, 1910 and 1911 semi-pro teams
Will include 'major' teams, perhaps even down to teams like the Buxton Wonders, as well as 'stars' who spent those three years with not-so-great teams. I already have a list with partial to full rosters for most. Some will get weeded out, others will get added.
For teams where id'd images are scarce, sets will simply be small, with 'line-up' card listing players without individual cards
'All' line-ups will be re-validated from newspaper box scores. So far this is actually going well - I've found loads of errors in my reference books, so this part is critical.
collect player images as found, probably mostly from hi-res scans of team photos
****I provide templates to interested volunteers who would like to 'adopt' a team****

I would welcome any suggestions or thoughts. If you would like to 'adopt' a team (hunt for box scores, first names, photos, etc.), please contact me.

mattsey9
03-24-2013, 05:27 PM
I'd love to adopt a team, preferably one from Indiana or Chicago. Your timeline predates the ABC's by several years though. I'm definitely interested.

Runscott
03-24-2013, 05:33 PM
The French Lick Plutos and the Indianapolis ABC's both existed in 1911 (the 1911 ABC's are on my list of teams to be included). I haven't looked at the rosters for either team, but I'm certain that each had some good players. Also, I've gotten fairly far with the 1910 and 1911 West Baden Sprudels, but I wouldn't mind handing them off.

I have all of the Kansas City and Chicago teams covered, but assistance would be appreciated - someone that I could run data past and who could help with choosing player images. I'm currently going through those rosters, ranking the players (great, 'above avg', 'steady', not-so-great).

Also, currently working on the 'Rube Foster' image. It's going to be cool, and in color.

mattsey9
03-24-2013, 05:58 PM
I could do the Pluto's and the ABC's if you're willing. I'm pretty close to both towns so I could hit up the local libraries to see if there's anything cool there. I'm guessing that the Sprudels and Pluto's were affiliated with the resorts in French Lick/West Baden.

baseballart
03-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Not sure where this image fits in, but I thought I'd post it anyway

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/103/290175037_89b78a418d_z.jpg

z28jd
03-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Sounds like a great idea Scott. Wish I could help, you know I love doing baseball research, but once the baseball season starts, I'll be writing about baseball 2-4 times a day, every single day for five months straight. So your timing(for my participation at least) is bad. It's definitely something I'd be interested in though.

T206DK
03-24-2013, 09:51 PM
I've been doing some research on the Dayton Marco's.....not much out there on them though. they only existed for a year or two

Runscott
03-24-2013, 10:55 PM
I could do the Pluto's and the ABC's if you're willing. I'm pretty close to both towns so I could hit up the local libraries to see if there's anything cool there. I'm guessing that the Sprudels and Pluto's were affiliated with the resorts in French Lick/West Baden.

Mike, they are yours (thanks)
Send me an email and I will respond with all the information I currently have.

Runscott
03-24-2013, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE=baseballart;1107804]Not sure where this image fits in, but I thought I'd post it anyway

Max - Thank you - that is a great image! I'm filing them in a 'player image' folder as I obtain them.

mattsey9
03-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Mike, they are yours (thanks)
Send me an email and I will respond with all the information I currently have.

Email sent.

Runscott
03-25-2013, 10:56 PM

This morning I removed my comments about Seamhead errors, thinking they might be in poor taste, and I went back to their website to do additional verifications of their rosters against some that I have. :(

I then checked their home page, and they state that data collected so far is for 1912 on. The 1909-11 data is definitely not complete, and a lot of it has apparently not been verified. For instance, if you are a Kansas City fan, you'll notice that the 1910-11 KC Royal data is basically not there in any usable form.

Since my project is for 1909-11, all data will definitely have to be verified against real box-scores and newspaper accounts. Any of you who are helping out are certainly more than welcome to go to Seamhead for ideas, but unless you have box-scores with first names, the players in the Seamhead team lists could be wrong (generally, correct last name but wrong first name - hence, incorrect player).

Thanks

Runscott
03-26-2013, 11:14 AM
(removed)

Whoops - wrong forum!!!