PDA

View Full Version : Yogi Berra Master Set

Bestdj777
03-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Hi everyone,

I am pretty close to completing my Mantle project and am thinking through my next collecting endeavor. I am considering tackling a Berra master set. I was wondering if any collectors had any insight into this project before I get started. I looked around on eBay a bit, and it seems like most of the cards are readily available.

Assuming I am okay with low grade cards:
1. Any cards out there that will be particularly difficult to find?
2. Anything out there that will be particularly expensive?
3. Anything else I should be aware of before moving forward?

I was thinking Yogi Berra since there is so much overlap with my Mantle set. I would already have all of the Topps/OPC team cards, most of the exhibit team cards (51, 52, 56, 57), and the Mantle/Berra Push Pull. I also already have a decent copy of his rookie.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Chris

ALR-bishop
03-24-2013, 08:27 AM
This one is tougher than most others

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img070.jpg

Bestdj777
03-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Thanks Al. I just looked at that one on eBay and you are right. Looks like it will likely be one of the hardest to find in the set and the most expensive.

tedzan
03-25-2013, 06:26 AM
I may be wrong about this; but, I think this 1947 BOND BREAD card of Yogi is his first "rookie" card as a Major Leaguer. It is not scarce;
however, it is a tough card to find.

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt113/zanted86/1947bb6rookiestars.jpg

TED Z

ALR-bishop
03-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Very nice Ted

paul
03-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Yogi is also in the 1947 Tip Top set.

Volod
03-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks Al. I just looked at that one on eBay and you are right. Looks like it will likely be one of the hardest to find in the set and the most expensive.

Sold one without the background last year for $250. Bought one with the background for $675.:)

pepis
03-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Hi everyone,

I am pretty close to completing my Mantle project and am thinking through my next collecting endeavor. I am considering tackling a Berra master set. I was wondering if any collectors had any insight into this project before I get started. I looked around on eBay a bit, and it seems like most of the cards are readily available.

Assuming I am okay with low grade cards:
1. Any cards out there that will be particularly difficult to find?
2. Anything out there that will be particularly expensive?
3. Anything else I should be aware of before moving forward?

I was thinking Yogi Berra since there is so much overlap with my Mantle set. I would already have all of the Topps/OPC team cards, most of the exhibit team cards (51, 52, 56, 57), and the Mantle/Berra Push Pull. I also already have a decent copy of his rookie.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Chris
Well Mickey Yogi and Whitey were the 3 top players of the 50s dynasty
so yea Yogi makes sense and maybe whitey after that.

Bestdj777
03-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Thank you everyone for weighing in. I have started a few projects without really understanding the potential difficulties associated with them, so it is really nice to have the feedback from everyone.

Well Mickey Yogi and Whitey were the 3 top players of the 50s dynasty
so yea Yogi makes sense and maybe whitey after that.

Definitely agreed. It seemed like a natural choice.

ALR-bishop
03-26-2013, 07:43 AM
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img053.jpg