PDA

View Full Version : ButterKrust sign

aabram23
03-22-2013, 10:29 AM
I know they are on the back of D304 but does anyone know if this is the same company and if a sign like this is worth anything?92915

E93
03-22-2013, 10:46 AM
My guess would be Yes and Yes.
JimB

caramelcard
03-22-2013, 11:25 AM
No, I don't think so.

Butter Krust is a common name and different bread products used that name for decades. I would guess that ad was from the 50s.

With D304, Butter Krust was just a type of bread and not the parent company. General Baking was the company. It does look like Butter Krust was the most popular type of bread they had since it's mentioned the most across the 5 backs.

I've had different butter krust ads and very few are related to D304, but there aren't many that are directly related. There's an ad that mentions the cards.

It might be a "distant relative" of the same company or maybe not. That would take some research. I think I remember a mid century company out of texas that used the name.

If you take a look on ebay, you'll see Butter Krust out of PA, TX, and WI. Interesting that the logos all have a similar look.

Anyhow, that's my opinion.

Rob

E93
03-22-2013, 12:42 PM
My hunch was based in large part on the similarity of the font. Robert knows much more than I do about this issue.
JimB

aabram23
03-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks for your help guys. I saw it in San Antonio. My boys were with me and my oldest (who's 8) said "we don't want that in our man cave/baseball card room anyway dad."
My reply "good boy"

Bridwell
03-22-2013, 04:09 PM
There's a Butter Krust bakery in San Antonio that still exists. The company may be a descendant of the original Butter Krust. See this link:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/utsa/00071/utsa-00071.html

After operating for 100 years, and marketing the Butter Krust brand, advertising signs are pretty easy to find. The one you found is probably not early 1900's. Just my opinion from looking at old signs.