PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of Two Hack Wilson's

JimStinson
03-20-2013, 06:23 AM
Hall of Famer Lewis Robert "Hack" Wilson's autograph is one of those that have spiked in value in recent years. Wilson died in 1948.

Most collectors are unaware that In almost the same era William W. "Hack" Wilson played and managed in the minor leagues including in the popular PCL from 1930-1947. He signed his name Hack Wilson and his autograph sometimes turns up on vintage signed items. And is mistaken for THE Hack Wilson.

Recently a respected dealer (Kinda) sold the Hack Wilson pictured here which is signed on a 1939 minor league program as that of Hack Wilson the Hall of Famer , It is NOT. Have pictured both Hack Wilson's here for comparison. The one on the left is William W. Wilson (minor league player & manager), to the right is Lewis Robert Wilson (Hall of Fame slugger) , Sorry for the size difference in the scans as I pulled them from two different files but they are indeed the same size.

packs
03-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Reminds of the Chief Benders. There was a Chief Bender who played in the minors for St. Louis. Never played in a major league game but I've seen him on Saint Louis balls before. His signature kinda looks like the real Chief too.

earlywynnfan
03-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Check me if I'm wrong, but I think that "Hack" of a seller still has it up on ebay right now.

Ken

JimStinson
03-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Check me if I'm wrong, but I think that "Hack" of a seller still has it up on ebay right now.

Ken

Yes you are correct but that "Hack" seller has the Wilson correctly identified as NOT the Hall of Fame Hack Wilson in bold ......:)