PDA

View Full Version : T205 Green Border/Printer Scrap Question

poorlydrawncat
03-20-2013, 12:29 AM
I recently purchased this T205 on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tough-1911-T205-Gold-Border-Charles-Hanford-Jersey-City-Rare-Minor-Leaguer-/321071208128?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=0wGm%252BYy9C37s%252F%252BI%252FRPzCu1ObjN4%253 D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc).

I hadn't really looked at it until today when I noticed that it appeared to have a green border. I'm no expert on the subject though, could someone confirm this?

By the way, the yellow around the border seems to be a base layer below the green from what I can see under a loupe.

It also has very uneven edges and appears to be hand-cut. Is this consistent with other green borders? Does this mean they are in fact printer scrap? Any idea if the number on the back could have any significance?

T205 GB
03-20-2013, 02:43 AM
I recently purchased this T205 on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tough-1911-T205-Gold-Border-Charles-Hanford-Jersey-City-Rare-Minor-Leaguer-/321071208128?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=0wGm%252BYy9C37s%252F%252BI%252FRPzCu1ObjN4%253 D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc).

I hadn't really looked at it until today when I noticed that it appeared to have a green border. I'm no expert on the subject though, could someone confirm this?

By the way, the yellow around the border seems to be a base layer below the green from what I can see under a loupe.

It also has very uneven edges and appears to be hand-cut. Is this consistent with other green borders? Does this mean they are in fact printer scrap? Any idea if the number on the back could have any significance?

I have always thought they are a scrap. All the ones that I have seen are always in rough shape and some can be found with wavy boarders and some appear factory cut. It don't take much to soften a boarder though. Now if they have a sharp boarder and its wavy then it may be hand cut. The problem is not every one is true scrap so to speak. I am only speaking of the ones completely void of gold ink. A lot of them have a faint layer applied but there are some that have zero gold and wavy boarders and I don't think any of those I have seen have straight factory cuts. Fine line I guess but if you say green boarders are scrap them everyone and their brother will be selling them as such regardless if it actualy is or not. JMO

Edited: Looks as though your card has gold applied and worn off and the boarders are beat up. Not what I have seen on the greenies

bbcard1
03-20-2013, 06:14 AM
I have a green Young...it's a lot greener.

Leon
03-20-2013, 07:22 AM

I don't think the one in the original post is one of the greenies either. Check out this Orval on second to the far right of this group...

Ease
03-20-2013, 08:11 AM
I don't think its a green one either, but it has great centering & registration and you got a good price on it. The number on back is intriguing, but could be anything, suit size, construction measurement, etc. Someone could have been looking for a piece of paper to write a measurement on and had just cracked a pack of Hassan. Remember very few people cared about these cards 100 yrs ago, IIRC they were in there to add stiffness to the packs and protect the smokes.

T205 GB
03-20-2013, 12:42 PM

could you post a scan

Here is my Nee that Matches the greenie scrap descrition

poorlydrawncat
03-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I think you guys are right; probably just a well-loved card with the gold worn off.

Still curious though. A lot of the green borders have a bit of yellow/gold in them (take the Griffith or the Wheat in this auction (http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2010/161.html)). Is this like a base layer beneath the green or is it a partially applied layer of gold on top? Would that make the layer order yellow-->green--->gold? Or is it just green-->gold?

poorlydrawncat
03-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Just took another look at the card and I think the reason I didn't notice the green when I purchased it is because it doesn't look as green in the ebay pictures as it does in person. Here's a better picture of the card sandwiched between two normal T205s; can I get a second opinion? The only reason I'm being persistent is because someone is interested in buying the card and I want to make sure I know what I'm selling :)

http://i.imgur.com/PDzHL0o.jpg

Ease
03-20-2013, 02:15 PM
It looks more green there between Matty & Evers. If it were me, I would explain to the buyer about the greenies, ie that its not even fact that greens are scrap, though they could be, and this card could be one of them, could not. I've not seen many other greens other than the ones in the REA lot you posted above. The Hanford in that lot is not the one you have, and the one you have has gold around the edges, the REA Hanford does not.

T205 GB
03-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Eric I think the Op actually owns the card shown.

Alright call me crazy but with the REA lot and the 35+ I have seen not from that lot we get close to a full sheet by Ted Z theory of 108. I will say some if not all in the REA lot exhibit gold edging of some type. All do however look beat to piss. Maybe some missed the gold all together and some got it and it was cut up and discarded then saved. Over the yrs it is possible they were disbursed. Any thoughts????

poorlydrawncat
03-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I've seen many t205 printer scraps with yellow borders. I know Leon has one (is it Mcgraw?). From what I can tell, the yellow edging on some of the green borders in the REA lot are actually the yellow ink showing through the layer of green above it. I can't be 100 percent sure whether or not the yellow on mine is gold border or just the yellow base layer, but I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

Ease
03-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Eric I think the Op actually owns the card shown.

Alright call me crazy but with the REA lot and the 35+ I have seen not from that lot we get close to a full sheet by Ted Z theory of 108. I will say some if not all in the REA lot exhibit gold edging of some type. All do however look beat to piss. Maybe some missed the gold all together and some got it and it was cut up and discarded then saved. Over the yrs it is possible they were disbursed. Any thoughts????

I know, I was trying to show him how to be honest with his buyer. If they were all on the same sheet, wouldn't all the ad backs be the same?

EvilKing00
03-20-2013, 05:09 PM
much better pic from the ebay posting, and you can see its the same card, from the imperfections from both pics are the same. real cool card.

T205 GB
03-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I've seen many t205 printer scraps with yellow borders. I know Leon has one (is it Mcgraw?). From what I can tell, the yellow edging on some of the green borders in the REA lot are actually the yellow ink showing through the layer of green above it. I can't be 100 percent sure whether or not the yellow on mine is gold border or just the yellow base layer, but I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

As far as telling wether it has gold or not is pretty simple. You can see the reflective glitter in it. Should be able to see with the naked eye and even better with a loupe in the light

Eric I was not aware I was up FS I do agree with you. Yes the backs would all be the same if from the same sheet. Kinda over looked that:(

Ease
03-20-2013, 06:44 PM
It was a good idea though man, you're one of the few that are even trying new ideas, much respect to you.

Leon
03-20-2013, 06:46 PM

If you have seen many T205 printer scraps I think you are ahead of most of us...Yes, I have a McGraw but I haven't seen too many, if even a handful, of T205 printer scraps. I have seen yellow on the borders fairly often.

T205 GB
03-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Leon I believe I have probably seen all the same ones. If we count the multi strikes we could maybe get 10 total.

I like the T205 set because when an off card shows up its neat but not worth 10x the market now. We collectors are very careful and seem to have set forth some good guidelines for categorizing errors, variations, scraps and so on. I do hope in the future we can unravel the mystery even guys from 70+ yrs ago couldn't. Hoping anyways:cool: