PDA

View Full Version : 1965 lou brock, worried if counterfeit

anthonyNaz
03-19-2013, 11:14 PM
i'd appreciate if anyone could tell me if this is counterfeit? i only have doubts because the picture is fuzzy. i don't know if some cards of 1965 can have various clarity to the picture. thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350735569696?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

the 'stache
03-20-2013, 12:13 AM
The first question I have is...why would somebody fake a 1965 Bob Gibson baseball card? In very good to excellent condition, the card is worth about $20, and this card has seriously soft corners.

The card itself looks fine when compared to other examples. Nothing that jumps out to me as being a red flag. No red flags with the seller, either. Nearly 1,300 sales this year with only one negative (and he refunded them).

I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

nolemmings
03-20-2013, 01:20 AM
Welcome to the forum. Your card is not fake. It does have bad registration, giving it that blurry look--so much so that some apparently think it looks like Bob Gibson :)

JollyElm
03-20-2013, 04:11 AM
Welcome to the forum. Your card is not fake. It does have bad registration, giving it that blurry look--so much so that some apparently think it looks like Bob Gibson :)

Haha!!

Paul S
03-20-2013, 08:42 AM

Scan was really good. I agree with Lemmings about the registration, which may have thrown you off about the scan quality. Looks like Josh Gibson to me, not Bob. ;)

the 'stache
03-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Sorry, I had a brain fart. I've been in a lot of pain all morning, not thinking straight.

ALR-bishop
03-20-2013, 09:52 AM
As a Cardinal fan, I am just glad it does not look like Ernie Broglio

anthonyNaz
03-20-2013, 10:40 AM
hey guys, i appreciate the feedback. i realize that asking the question seemed a bit silly considering the guy would make peanuts off a counterfeit. i only recently have been collecting pre-80 cards, and that was only two months ago. i am kind of in the dark about collecting these and didn't know much about "registration" clarity. it would be great if there's some kind of guide to newbies or faq to this era of cards and especially the cards that would actually be counterfeited just so i don't have to rely on good ol common sense. i get brain farts too! =)

k-dog
03-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Sorry, I had a brain fart. I've been in a lot of pain all morning, not thinking straight.

Could be the stache! ;)

RobertGT
03-20-2013, 12:51 PM
hey guys, i appreciate the feedback. i realize that asking the question seemed a bit silly considering the guy would make peanuts off a counterfeit. i only recently have been collecting pre-80 cards, and that was only two months ago. i am kind of in the dark about collecting these and didn't know much about "registration" clarity. it would be great if there's some kind of guide to newbies or faq to this era of cards and especially the cards that would actually be counterfeited just so i don't have to rely on good ol common sense. i get brain farts too! =)

A good rule of thumb is to get accustomed to what the vintage cards look and feel like. Hold them close to your face, examine the printing, feel the texture and get a sense of the weight of a card. Most Topps cards are pretty similar. Get a cheap stack of vintage commons (available in abundance on ebay) and start there.

For the most part, you aren't going to have to worry too much about running into counterfeits from these years, but that's not to say they don't exist. A bigger danger from these years is purchasing trimmed cards that someone has altered to make them appear to be in nicer condition. Most of the counterfeits are going to be the high-priced stars and RCs. A few to be on the lookout for are the 52 Mantle (never buy unless graded), any early Mantle from 52-63 or so, 54 Aaron, 54 Banks, 63 Rose, 68 Ryan. I'm sure others can add to that list too. You are probably better off buying those graded until you can spot the fakes. There are some from the 80s too, such as 84 Donruss Mattingly, 86 Canseco etc.

David W
03-20-2013, 01:37 PM
As a Cardinal fan, I am just glad it does not look like Ernie Broglio

Haha. Here's Ernie. The sad part is, he is really a punchline to a bad Cubs joke, but actually had a solid career with the Cardinals.