PDA

View Full Version : Louisville Scrap Bats

ruth-gehrig
03-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Does anyone know anything about bats that are deemed "scrap" by Louisville slugger? I've been contacted by a gentleman that quitely says these came from the Louisville factory and were stopped from being fulled completed because of some minor flaw. The flaw is undetected in his opinion. Do they normally destroy their "scrap"? He acted like bats like this don't normally get out. I told him I would possibly use some to make some bar stools and chairs out of. Maybe a shelf or use some for a legs for a table. What do you think they are worth? Any interest from any other members? The majority are 33-36 inches.

bwild22
03-18-2013, 08:27 PM
not sure what they are worth - or actually i do not have any valuable info whatsoever....besides i think what you intend to do with them is probably the best bet.... i wish i was handy like that would absolutely love some baseball bat furniture for the mancave :)

ctownboy
03-18-2013, 08:33 PM
As a child, I lived in a small town in Southern Indiana. Back then, the Louisville Slugger operations were located in Jeffersonville, Indiana. One of my neighbors was a garbage man and he knew I was into baseball.

One day, he came by our house and gave me some bats that looked just like yours. He said he picked them up at the dump and thought I could use them. I sawed the knob of the ends and hit rocks with them. There were a couple that were hollow in the middle.

I don't know what they do with them now but that is what they did with them back then.

David

murphusa
03-18-2013, 08:34 PM
buying in bulk I would pay about $3.00 each

yanks12025
03-19-2013, 04:28 AM
I thin Brian hillerich over on GUU said once that if they catch a error bat they normally destroy it. I may be wrong. But I'd be interested in one, cool looking.

steve B
03-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Woodcraft sells Ash bat blanks for 29.99 each. I forget what the lumberyard I get to occasionally sells them for. Probably a bit less since theirs are square and woodcrafts are turned round.

So maybe something a bit less than that, maybe half?

Or maybe a bit more if you figure how much time you'd have to spend turning them from blanks.

Steve B

ruth-gehrig
03-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the replies guys!:) Is anyone interested in any? The guy wants to sell them all to me and I don't think I can use that many:eek:

MGHPro
03-19-2013, 02:54 PM
I'd be interested in some depending on price. Are they all ash?
Matt

jgmp123
03-19-2013, 03:15 PM
I would be interested in a few...

thxforthebp
03-19-2013, 04:54 PM
I would be interested in a few as well. Maybe we can get enough people in to buy them all if that is the only way he will sell them.

brookdodger55
03-19-2013, 06:08 PM
I also would be interested in some

cwazzy
03-19-2013, 07:25 PM
I might be interested in a few depending on price. I like the idea of making furniture out of them.

ruth-gehrig
03-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Hi Matt, the bats are a mixture of ash and oak. Thanks again for the interest.:)
Michael
I'd be interested in some depending on price. Are they all ash?
Matt

ruth-gehrig
03-20-2013, 01:52 PM
I've now listed these over on the BST Baseball Memorabilia.
Thanks again:)
Michael

jgmp123
04-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Wanted to revive this thread...I purchased 4 bats and have been thinking of what I want to do with them....

Anyone else that purchased...was wondering what do you plan to do with your bats??? Looking for some different ideas.....

whitehse
04-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Former Rookie of the Year and MLB veteran Ron Kittle makes some pretty interesting furniture out of finished wood bats. It would be cool to try and make something like what he does out of these bats.....and probably a whole lot cheaper too!!

http://www.ronkittle.com/benches_by_ron.html

ruth-gehrig
04-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Former Rookie of the Year and MLB veteran Ron Kittle makes some pretty interesting furniture out of finished wood bats. It would be cool to try and make something like what he does out of these bats.....and probably a whole lot cheaper too!!

http://www.ronkittle.com/benches_by_ron.html

Yeah interesting furniture but the prices :eek::eek:. Maybe I should contact him and see if Ron's interested in any ;) A local guy who bought a single bat said it was maple and not ash. He did believe ash and maple were both mixed in the lot fwiw. These are high quality Louisville bats!

whitehse
04-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Kittles prices are crazy nuts but he may have interest in the bat blanks as he also does other baseball bat related items. It might be worth a try. he is on Facebook and of course, you can reach him through his web site.

ruth-gehrig
05-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Wanted to revive this thread...I purchased 4 bats and have been thinking of what I want to do with them....

Anyone else that purchased...was wondering what do you plan to do with your bats??? Looking for some different ideas.....

I'm sending 12 bats out tomorrow to a guy who's planning on a head board for a bed. That was a neat idea I hadn't thought of!

ruth-gehrig
06-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Bump

ruth-gehrig
07-16-2013, 11:02 AM
$10 a bat over on BST!