PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this Babe Ruth please

toyman55
03-17-2013, 02:06 PM
I would appreciate an opinion.

thetruthisoutthere
03-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Shale "What's Your Opinion On This" Toyman, what are your thoughts on that Babe Ruth?

Mr. Zipper
03-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Looks like there are stops and areas that were went over a second time.

'Nuf said.

toyman55
03-17-2013, 02:32 PM
I think it's a forgery

daves_resale_shop
03-17-2013, 02:46 PM
No good

labored with dark trails of ink/bleeds where the the pen slowed...

I would stay away...

toyman55
03-17-2013, 02:51 PM
I found it on ebay. Here's the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Babe-Ruth-Connie-Mack-Ford-Frick-Cut-Autograph-Auto-Signed-PLEASE-READ-/261186280649?_trksid=e17003.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D6%26ps%3D 63%26clkid%3D6314553042553727109&_qi=RTM759770
I would actually buy it for fun if cheap enough and frame it. Probably would be as close to having a Ruth as I will ever get.

jgmp123
03-17-2013, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't waste a dime on that...the "E" in Babe and Connie are identical...exact same hand.

Wymers Auction
03-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Looks like watercolor.

johnmh71
03-17-2013, 03:15 PM
"Once again, please realize that since there is no certificate of authenticity on this item and I can in no way guarantee the item's authenticity, you are taking a risk when purchasing this item."

This sentence from the description in the listing screams fake all on its own.

Mr. Zipper
03-17-2013, 04:08 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Babe-Ruth-Connie-Mack-Ford-Frick-Cut-Autograph-Auto-Signed-PLEASE-READ-/261186280649?_trksid=e17003.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D6%26ps%3D 63%26clkid%3D6314553042553727109&_qi=RTM759770
I would actually buy it for fun if cheap enough and frame it. Probably would be as close to having a Ruth as I will ever get.

In all due respect, who would want a known fake hanging on their wall? :confused:

If you want something to display, why not get a photo reprint of an authentically signed photo? Or even one of those replica balls would be better than paying a penny for a forgery that was intended to rip someone off.

travrosty
03-17-2013, 04:28 PM
whats on your wall? are they originals, if not, they are fake as well.

RichardSimon
03-17-2013, 04:46 PM

Shale - why did you not show the entire piece in your first post?

thetruthisoutthere
03-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Shale - why did you not show the entire piece in your first post?

Because Shale "What Is Your Opinion On This" Toyman55, likes to sometimes play games on here.

David Atkatz
03-17-2013, 06:29 PM
He's not the only one. ;)

toyman55
03-17-2013, 07:30 PM
First to address Richard, I did not show the other's because the Ruth was what I found interesting. With all due respect to everyone here including Richard Simon, Jim Stinson, Shelly and many others I want to make it clear I do not play games. Well I do in that I have been collecting mostly baseball board games and Bagatelle games for the past 15 years with the inspiration on Mark Cooper. I dabbled in autographs making a whole lot of very expensive mistakes. Recently I have started to sell off my games because at 64 years of age I need to downsize.
I come to this site every day, read the posts and try to participate. I am not in any of your league as far as determining real from forgery's. so Mr. Williams I will tell you I see so many of you in petty little disagreements as well as sniveling insults which I find childish.
But we are here because if we collect baseball cards, games, photos, pennants, buttons and autographs it is because we have retained that one special part of being young; which is being a kid.
I promise from now on to post the whole picture the listing so long as you all welcome me and allow me to play and observe what you all do so well. I have four passions in my life, My wife, my kids, my Queensland Heeler and my Dodgers. I am a Fan of all of you and respect your opinions and hope some day to get yours.
Have a great night,
Shale Levine.

David Atkatz
03-17-2013, 07:37 PM
You're quite welcome here, Shale. Most of us don't see the bogey man in every shadow.

toyman55
03-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Sadly this sold for $182.00.
By the way did anyone think the Mack or Frick
Autographs were real?

shelly
03-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Shale, I will accept anything but the dodgers. Opinions are like as-holes everyone has one. It comes down to only one thing. Who on this site do you trust?:)

RichardSimon
03-17-2013, 08:28 PM
Sadly this sold for $182.00.
By the way did anyone think the Mack or Frick
Autographs were real?

My guess would be that it was bought for resale and the crap will pop up again in some small auction, or mall store, and sell for $500.

toyman55
03-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Shelly, I trust myself first but my father told me a hundred years ago that
When you don't know the answer to a question ask those who know the
Most which includes all those here who are here and enjoying this site.
I would like to thank Leon for this forum, it has been so enjoyable and educational
Coming here.

JimStinson
03-18-2013, 08:48 AM
First to address Richard, I did not show the other's because the Ruth was what I found interesting. With all due respect to everyone here including Richard Simon, Jim Stinson, Shelly and many others I want to make it clear I do not play games. Well I do in that I have been collecting mostly baseball board games and Bagatelle games for the past 15 years with the inspiration on Mark Cooper. I dabbled in autographs making a whole lot of very expensive mistakes. Recently I have started to sell off my games because at 64 years of age I need to downsize.
I come to this site every day, read the posts and try to participate. I am not in any of your league as far as determining real from forgery's. so Mr. Williams I will tell you I see so many of you in petty little disagreements as well as sniveling insults which I find childish.
But we are here because if we collect baseball cards, games, photos, pennants, buttons and autographs it is because we have retained that one special part of being young; which is being a kid.
I promise from now on to post the whole picture the listing so long as you all welcome me and allow me to play and observe what you all do so well. I have four passions in my life, My wife, my kids, my Queensland Heeler and my Dodgers. I am a Fan of all of you and respect your opinions and hope some day to get yours.
Have a great night,
Shale Levine.

Shale , well stated and (I thought) quite diplomatic , The point that maybe was trying to be made.... is its difficult sometimes to gauge an item's authenticity simply on what one isolated signature looks like. As I have mentioned before what the autograph "looks like" itself SHOULD be the first and ultimately last factor in determining if its genuine. There are other elements in between, dozens of them. Usually the sellers track record, because good sellers have a reputation for due diligence. Like Shelly said in this thread there are ALOT of opinions ALWAYS , some carry more weight than others. Your question was ultimately answered in what the item sold for , $2,000-$3,000 autographs (that are genuine) do not sell for $150.00.
I am not saying that its impossible to occasionally stumble onto an autograph BARGAIN it happens but take it from me these days even to an expert eye with a gargantuan work ethic they are few and far between. So while everyone would like to have a Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig autograph in their collection perhaps its best to start slow. Have fun with it !
Learn as you go, Use the opinions you feel are valid and discard the rest.
The best thing you have going for you is there are FAR more well intentioned, knowledgable, helpful & good people in this hobby than bad ones.