PDA

View Full Version : 1889 International Association Old Judges

Joe_G.
03-16-2013, 08:49 AM
Let me preface this thread by stating that this will only be of interest to a very few collectors, likely advanced Old Judge collectors. No reply/view records expected here :)

I decided to dig out some old research regarding the 1889 International Association Old Judge cards after seeing Kevin & John’s Buffalo discussion here => http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=165019. As outlined in the Old Judge book, the International Association was entirely covered by team change cards. Only teams from the National League, American Association, Western Association, and California League were photographed. All other teams/Leagues found within the N172 run were merely partially covered via team change cards. This would include the Atlantic Association, International Association, Player’s League and a few other smaller minor league/amateur circuits.

What I find interesting, in each case, is looking at who Goodwin & Co. issued team change cards for, and conversely, who they missed. I have always followed the International Association a little closer than many since it was Detroit’s only baseball outlet after the NL team disbanded in 1888. Goodwin & Co. didn’t ignore the Wolverines with five different players being issued team change cards but they did miss out on another possible five.

When looking at all the players and managers who played or managed during the 1889 International Association season, a total of 45 different subjects were previously issued Old Judge cards. In all but one case, these cards were issued prior to 1889; the exception being Wallace Fessenden who’s first and only N172s were issued in 1889 as NL Umpire. Fessenden would also help manage the London team in 1889 and hence his inclusion to the list.

Three of the 45 subjects would jump around the Association and play for more than one team during 1889 which results in a total of 48 different player/team combinations. Of these 45 or 48 possibilities, 19 different players have been catalogued, covering every team but Buffalo. Buffalo has six candidates but nothing to show for it and I believe it will remain that way.

I believe the last IA player to be added to the list was Ed Cushman in the 1980s. Several copies have since surfaced with the total population perhaps closer to ten. Cushman is an interesting case since his “team change” card is his only card outside of his Spotted Tie pose. The photo Cushman's Toledo card is based on was taken in 1888 with Des Moines but wouldn't make its debut until 1889 with Toledo.

For those who would like to study the list themselves, I’ve attached my results below, sorted by last name and then by team. There is one error card that could be lumped in with the IA cards; that being Kid Baldwin with Detroit. Add one to both sides of the stat lines if you wish to include Baldwin.

For a little fun, if you could pick one IA team change card to surface, who would it be? I would pick Deacon White. Furthermore, I’d like it to be his portrait pose which would be entirely appropriate for the Manager of Buffalo.

Lastly, feel free to post your IA cards. If there is any interest in this thread, I will fill in the Detroit holes. To satisfy John Drecker, I’ll also accept 1888 IA cards (only one exists . . ., maybe he can show us who :) ).

z28jd
03-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Excellent post Joe. Unfortunately I'm not home, so I can only go with the scans I have on this computer. Give me a minute on the 1888 card, I might have a scan somewhere

z28jd
03-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Sorry I can't do any better from this computer. Here are the two poses from the 1888 Old Judge International League. This scan is so old, I found it on myspace...remember when people used to use that? I feel old! I've picked up three more since then and learned how to scan better!

kkkkandp
03-16-2013, 10:38 AM
I can play in this one, too! :)

oldjudge
03-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Great post Joe! Maybe this will draw a few cards out of the woodwork.

oldjudge
03-16-2013, 11:30 AM
As I think about it, it is not surprising that there are no known Buffalo cards. Goodwin seems to have done projects on a team, rather than a player,basis. There are cards known for three of the four California League teams, but no Stockton cards. There are only cards for four of the eight Players League teams (again-no Buffalo) and for five of the eight 1890 National League teams (A Boston 1890 NL card has been found since he book came out).

Joe_G.
03-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Where are all the OJ collectors?? There has to be more than the usual suspects that can contribute. Kudos to Kevin who covered all seven teams with his one post. I believe John can do the same and Jay could beat us all. I wouldn't consider the IA cards to be easy, but they are far from scarce. While I have at least one example of all the Detroit players, I do still need some poses (5 Detroit subjects responsible for 13 poses in total).

Looks like Alvord and Sage tried to copy each other's fielding pose. I really like the team change cards in which Goodwin & Co. modified the jersey to represent the new team (see Blair, Pettee, Rooks, and others).

I'd love to see some posts from others. Post them if you have them.

cdn_collector
03-17-2013, 05:48 AM
Where are all the OJ collectors??

How about closet OJ fans? I don't actively collect them, but I could certainly find room in my collection for more, if the ones I wanted ever showed up.

The only OJ I have is Serad with Toronto. I'd love to add the Toronto variations of McGuire and Hoover, but have to think that for me, that's as likely as Toronto variations of McGlone, McLaughlin and Titcomb all showing up!

In light of that, your theory is quite interesting. I'd love to see some more Toronto OJs added to the checklist. Cool thread, and great scans everyone (especially like all the Londons and Hamiltons posted).

Regards,

Richard.