PDA

View Full Version : Yes, it's another Ruth question

thecatspajamas
03-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Can anyone tell me when was the last "Charity" game at Yankee Stadium that Ruth would have made an appearance at (not necessarily played in)?

The reason I'm asking is I was offered the ball below on consignment, which comes with a "Letter of Provenance" stating that the ball was originally owned by a police officer working security at a charity game at Yankee Stadium in the 1940's who got Ruth to sign it. No mention of where it has been in the 65+ years since, but before I dismiss the letter as completely worthless, I want to see if it actually disproves the authenticity. The ball itself is a 3-starred Frick which wouldn't have been made earlier than 1946, so it's a fairly narrow window already (and I've already e-mailed Brandon to see if he can see any tells from the ball itself that would narrow the date further).

I would never consider a Ruth signed ball for myself because I'm far from being an expert and I figure there are at least several forgers whose skills outmatch my own, so the risk vs. reward isn't there for me personally. When turning down a consignment though, I'd like to have a better reason to give than, "It scares me." Any help or reassurance is appreciated, and I hope this is at least a fun exercise for anyone who chooses to chime in.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll13/thecatspajamas99/L-/23/SAM_0681.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll13/thecatspajamas99/L-/23/SAM_0682.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll13/thecatspajamas99/L-/23/SAM_0683.jpg

r2678
03-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Just an observation - It's a National League ball but Yankee Stadium is an American League stadium. I suppose the policeman could have brought the ball with him to the stadium but that would seem unlikely. I also can't picture Babe carrying a bag of National League balls around with him to give away. Anyway, like I said, just an observation...

mr2686
03-14-2013, 10:34 AM
In Jan 1947 Ruth had surgery and was in the hospital till Feb...he was pretty feeble. He went to Yankee stadium in April because it was Babe Ruth day and I'm guessing that was his only visit for the year until 1948 when he visited in June because they were retiring his number (he died 2 months later). That leaves 1946 and he did a lot of traveling until late summer when he started having pain over his eye (which led to his surgery the following Jan). I'd think if he was at a charity game it would be pretty easy to find some kind of info on it but I can't.

packs
03-14-2013, 11:51 AM
I would dismiss the letter and base the authenticity on the signature. Can't offer an opinion on it myself though. But someone should be able to.

Phil Arem
03-14-2013, 12:06 PM
I think the ball may be related to the War Bond Charity game at Yankee Stadium circa 1943....

David Atkatz
03-14-2013, 12:56 PM
The ball's good. You can't fake that aged ink.

BrandonG
03-14-2013, 05:45 PM
The Ball is 1947-1948.

thetruthisoutthere
03-14-2013, 06:56 PM
That is one ugly Babe Ruth forgery. Looks like a Coach's Corner "Babe Ruth."

thecatspajamas
03-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks everyone who chimed in. Sentiment on the signature itself seems mixed, but there are too many other "weirdness" factors at play here for me to feel comfortable taking this one on.

(Also, I think I responded to the PM I was sent, but have been having 'net difficulties, so let me know if it didn't go through.)

thetruthisoutthere
03-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks everyone who chimed in. Sentiment on the signature itself seems mixed, but there are too many other "weirdness" factors at play here for me to feel comfortable taking this one on.

(Also, I think I responded to the PM I was sent, but have been having 'net difficulties, so let me know if it didn't go through.)

Anyone who thinks that Babe Ruth is good.............

David Atkatz
03-15-2013, 08:44 PM
...disagrees with you.

thetruthisoutthere
03-15-2013, 08:55 PM
That's a Frankie Babe Ruth.

David Atkatz
03-16-2013, 01:47 PM
That's a Babe Ruth Babe Ruth, IMHO.

Forever Young
03-16-2013, 02:25 PM
That's a Babe Ruth Babe Ruth, IMHO.

That's a Frankie Babe Ruth.

Although differing, it is refreshing to see concise opinions/direction from respected experts.