PDA

View Full Version : OT: WBC, Owner Sighting

Jlighter
03-12-2013, 11:24 PM
So I was at the World Baseball Classic Game at Marlins Stadium and saw none other then John Henry(Owner of the Boston Red Sox). He was actually sitting directly in front of me. I was the only person in the area to recognize him. Unfortunately I was too much of a wuss to even acknowledge him. He was very into the game though, keeping score and scouting players. Thought it was interesting enough to post.

MacDice
03-12-2013, 11:41 PM
That's pretty cool. One time I had Bill Gates and the then governor of be state of Washington sitting in front of me at a Marines game. It was fun watching when they moved how all the under cover security acted. No one approached them but I was tempted to ask Gates to sign a ball.

Jlighter
03-12-2013, 11:54 PM
That's pretty cool. One time I had Bill Gates and the then governor of be state of Washington sitting in front of me at a Marines game. It was fun watching when they moved how all the under cover security acted. No one approached them but I was tempted to ask Gates to sign a ball.

I didn't see any security detail, perhaps he isn't high profile enough or I'm just not observant? He was with another man, but couldn't recognize him. He had red hair and facial hair. He was scouting players as well and obviously with the team as he was wearing a World Series ring.

He stayed till the end, but hurried out once it was over. He didn't get up the WHOLE game, didn't eat anything and only had a little water. The man he was with was using a speed gun on Craig Kimbrel. Potential acquisition? They also seemed intrigued on a few of the Puerto Rican players.

At one point Bobby Valentine showed up on the jumbo-tron, I wonder if he shuddered inside.;)

MacDice
03-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Gates had a coke which he clutched very tightly in his two hands during the game (guess he could not afford another one if he had a spill). I am still trying to get the memory out of my mind when he stood up and tried to dance along with the music. Very disturbing. Gates security detail had the aisle seats all around him for a couple of rows. The funny thing was the game was against the A's and the two people in front of him had purchased scalped tickets and had no clue who was behind them and they were being very drunk and obnoxious.

kmac32
03-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Ran into Arte Moreno of the Angels a few years ago at Spring Training. He was nice and even signed a ball for me.

frankbmd
03-13-2013, 12:32 PM
In 1977 I sat in front of Warren Spahn at a Braves game at County Stadium.
I also sat in front of Magic Johnson at a Movie theater in Century City in 1990.

However, if Warren and Magic were posting on this thread, there is no doubt in my mind that they would be claiming that they sat behind me.

Let's see if they fess up.:D:D

Sean
03-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Frank, I doubt we'll hear from Warren Spahn on this matter.:D

Sean
03-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Oh, and by the way, congratulations on picking up Elberfeld.:)