PDA

View Full Version : Percy Harvin or Anquan Boldin?

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
03-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Which trade do you think was better for the team that traded away the player and why?

(In full disclosure I am a diehard Vikings fan)

freakhappy
03-14-2013, 04:46 PM
I'd say Harvin and the Seahawks will reap the benefits the most...how could you not think this way? Harvin has been a complete monster the last few years and if he didn't get hurt last year, he would have put up stellar numbers. He's not only a receiver, but runs the ball and returns punts...all around athlete!

I think Boldin was a good signing, but he's only a short-term help and how much will he really impact the niners? I'm sure he will do ok, but I expect him to be behind Crabtree and Davis for receptions....so all in all, it's an easy question to answer for me.

cubsfan-budman
03-14-2013, 05:08 PM
I'd say Harvin and the Seahawks will reap the benefits the most...how could you not think this way? Harvin has been a complete monster the last few years and if he didn't get hurt last year, he would have put up stellar numbers. He's not only a receiver, but runs the ball and returns punts...all around athlete!

I think Boldin was a good signing, but he's only a short-term help and how much will he really impact the niners? I'm sure he will do ok, but I expect him to be behind Crabtree and Davis for receptions....so all in all, it's an easy question to answer for me.

I agree with this.

I think that the 49ers will have more success than the Seahawks next year, however. They are the all-around more talented team. I would take Kaepernick over Wilson, Crabtree/Davis/Boldin over Rice/Tate/Harvin and 49ers D over Seahawks.

Heck, I'd take Harbaugh over Carroll too. Can't stand Pete Carroll.

All that said, Harvin is the better long-term grab. Should help Seattle for years to come.

Orioles1954
03-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Boldin hands down. Harvin is pretty fragile and does not have a history of sustained success. Boldin is tough, clutch when it matters and an incredible teammate. Coming from a Ravens fan, you may win regular season games with Harvin. But you'll win Super Bowls with Boldin....the ultimate gamer.

D. Bergin
03-14-2013, 05:48 PM
It all depends on the health of Percy Harvin. Boldin was the safer pick-up at the price. I thought the Ravens were stupid to let him go so cheaply. He's durable and should be a guaranteed 70 catches, 900 Yard guy with the Niners.

If Harvin somehow gets over his migraine issues (hardly a condition that playing in the NFL is conducive to) and avoids other serious injury, he's the better long term player.

Seahawks gave up a lot for him though.........both in draft picks and salary cap hit.

Ease
03-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Boldin hands down. Harvin is pretty fragile and does not have a history of sustained success. Boldin is tough, clutch when it matters and an incredible teammate. Coming from a Ravens fan, you may win regular season games with Harvin. But you'll win Super Bowls with Boldin....the ultimate gamer.

This.

freakhappy
03-14-2013, 08:58 PM

Not that I necessarily disagree with anyone's opinion, but how can you say you will win Super Bowls with Boldin? I mean, yeah, he did awesome in this postseason and I give him all the credit in the world, but he was on ONE Super Bowl team and all of a sudden, he's one of the best players in the league and wins Super Bowls? A stretch by all means!

Just the other day, they said that Harvin isn't having the migraine issues he once had, so that issue should be mostly gone. Not to mention, Harvin played for the Vikings...a very suspect team without a good QB. We all know to be a Super Bowl winner, 90% of the time you need a solid QB. The Vikes were going nowhere and Flacco just became the richest QB in the league...that should tell us a lot of why the Ravens won this year. Not to mention if the Ravens didn't get crazy lucky against the Broncos, Boldin would most likely be a FA right now and possibly retiring. Let's just chalk it up as him making the most of the situation. I'd say he gets 60 grabs for 700 yds this coming year.

Orioles1954
03-15-2013, 06:03 AM
Harvin is a fragile player. Just one or two medium hits and he will be compromised....every DC in the league knows this and will exploit it. Boldin had his face fractured in two places and was back the next week--the ultimate gamer. When the Ravens replaced their tepid OC in week 11, Boldin really started shine and the resulting numbers are a testament of that. The Ravens did not win the Super Bowl BECAUSE of Boldin, but would not have won it without him.

nolemmings
03-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Boldin was actually on TWO Super Bowl teams. losing in a dramatic comeback to Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XLIII. He had 8 catches in that game but was outshone by Larry Fitzgerald.

The difference in the two as teammates is huge. One will play hurt, will keep his mouth shut and find ways to win. The other is Percy Harvin.

Orioles1954
03-15-2013, 10:51 AM
That's the truth Todd. There's a reason why fans in Baltimore, Phoenix and soon San Francisco love Boldin. He is a throwback football player who is an excellent teammate and outstanding in the community. I STILL hate that my Ravens got rid of him.

Ease
03-15-2013, 11:16 AM
That's the truth Todd. There's a reason why fans in Baltimore, Phoenix and soon San Francisco love Boldin. He is a throwback football player who is an excellent teammate and outstanding in the community. I STILL hate that my Ravens got rid of him.

OT a little, but what may be worse for the Ravens is the loss of Ellerbee. What say you?

freakhappy
03-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Boldin's tough, but no way is it a better signing for the long run and maybe not even in the short. He will be good, but Harvin is the stud...no getting around that. I just hope he can stay healthy (because he is a little dude).

Another thing is that Boldin, on both Super Bowl teams, was never the #1 go to guy. So he rarely ever gets covered by the better corner. There are also times he disappears...zero, one or two catches. Another sign that he's a role player and nothing more. I like the guy, but let's not give him too much credit...tough, yes...stud, hardly. Remember that Deon Branch won a SB MVP once...it happens.

tiger8mush
03-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Boldin was covered by the #1 corner, at least in the AFC championship game vs NE. CB Aquib Talib (NE's #1 corner) was covering him, but early in the game Talib got hurt. I don't know who covered him after that, but it didn't matter cuz NE had no other CBs worth a poo.

Boldin is a gamer, goes up and gets the ball like Dennis Rodman getting a rebound in the 90s.

I understand the Ravens had another year of Boldin under contract, but the Flacco signing put them over the cap. So isntead of just dropping Boldin and him getting picked up by an AFC rival (patriots, steelers, broncos, etc) they traded him to the NFC. GREAT pickup for the 9ers in my opinion, and puts the 9ers as the favorites in the NFC.

Harvin was a great pickup by the Seahawks, but they spent a lot more and while he has a higher ceiling than Boldin, I believe Harvin also has a lower floor. More risk.

I'm just happy both stayed out of NE!!!!! The last thing Brady needs is a good wideout like he had in 2007 w/Randy Moss, phew!

Orioles1954
03-15-2013, 12:35 PM
OT a little, but what may be worse for the Ravens is the loss of Ellerbee. What say you?

No one is better at drafting in the later rounds than Baltimore. Ellerbe was a 6th round pickup. General consensus in our area is that Ellerbe was overpaid and good luck in Miami...there will be more like Ellerbe to find in the draft. The reaction to losing Boldin and Pollard has been harsh against the organization. Really harsh, in fact. These guys reflect what Baltimore is like as a city. Gritty, with a chip on its shoulder. Losing Boldin and Pollard took a LOT of toughness away from the team. No reason for Ed Reed to re-sign with Baltimore IMHO.

nolemmings
03-15-2013, 12:46 PM
No one said Harvin does not have more upside, especially at this stage of their respective careers. But the 49ers are on the edge of a Super Bowl now, and I think this pushes them to a win.

Boldin is clearly the better receiver. Far better hands and better route running, and hugely more reliable. Harvin is the exciting playmaker, but as a slot receiver/flanker. The Vikings QB did not keep Percy down. He makes most of his catches in the backfield and rarely ran long routes, not because of a bad scheme but because that's what he does best--yards after catch. Basically I could throw the ball to Percy Harvin, so don't blame the Vikings for not using him correctly or picture him as some deep threat in Seattle or you will be disappointed.

Claiming that Boldin is not the featured receiver misses the point, and is akin to saying Cris Carter was not very good because he had Randy Moss. When you need a big grab anyplace on the field and with tight coverage, like say a backshoulder grab on 4th down in this past postseason, Boldin is the guy. If you need a guy to bitch about not getting enough touches, not making enough money, or how this or that hurts, get Percy Harvin.

freakhappy
03-15-2013, 01:15 PM
No one said Harvin does not have more upside, especially at this stage of their respective careers. But the 49ers are on the edge of a Super Bowl now, and I think this pushes them to a win.

Boldin is clearly the better receiver. Far better hands and better route running, and hugely more reliable. Harvin is the exciting playmaker, but as a slot receiver/flanker. The Vikings QB did not keep Percy down. He makes most of his catches in the backfield and rarely ran long routes, not because of a bad scheme but because that's what he does best--yards after catch. Basically I could throw the ball to Percy Harvin, so don't blame the Vikings for not using him correctly or picture him as some deep threat in Seattle or you will be disappointed.

Claiming that Boldin is not the featured receiver misses the point, and is akin to saying Cris Carter was not very good because he had Randy Moss. When you need a big grab anyplace on the field and with tight coverage, like say a backshoulder grab on 4th down in this past postseason, Boldin is the guy. If you need a guy to bitch about not getting enough touches, not making enough money, or how this or that hurts, get Percy Harvin.

Boooo! This post makes you seem like a hater.

I guess my point is, Boldin is past his prime and will contribute, but not crazily like he did in the playoffs. One big thing to remember is that the niners defense did not play as good this season as they have in the past few years...and they did lose their best corner to the Buccaneers yesterday. This niner team has changed, but will still be one of the better teams in the NFC. The Ravens throw a lot more than the niners do, so Boldin's impact will be mostly the critical 3rd downs and such. I'm just not sure when Boldin became such a premiere receiver? I guess I missed the memo. He's hit or miss most of the time, but hit a hot streak in the playoffs...doesn't make him elite or anything.

If the Seahawks are smart, they will not overuse Percy. His value is amongst the best in the league at his position, but just like anyone else with over usage, is susceptible to injury. I like the Seahawks this year and hope they win it all. Russell Wilson surprised everyone last year and with Percy this year, the sky is the limit. They call players like Percy a "play maker" for a reason.

And as far as the Broncos #1 corner covering Boldin for some of the game...well, if you watched the game, the Broncos weren't covering anyone...hence the miracle bomb at the end of regulation.

Time will tell :)

nolemmings
03-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a hater. As a lifelong Viking fan I am grateful for what Percy provided, but found him to be very frustrating. He just seems to have problems getting along with folks and becomes a distraction. That is overlooked of course if a trophy is hoisted at the end of the year--if not, however, it can fester. I am glad the Vikings got a decent return for Percy, and he may turn out to be a superstar, but I really won't miss him. BTW, this is the third WR the Hawks have pilfered from the Vikings --Burleson and Rice too (who himself can be moody)--so it was nice to get something in return.

tiger8mush
03-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Player's averages according to pro-football-reference.com:

Boldin over 10 years:
14 games
77 catches
1016 yards
5.8 TDs

Percy Harvin over 4 years:
13.5 games
70 catches
825.5 yards
5 TDs

Bolding over his 1st 4 years:
14 games
85.5 catches
1151.25 yards
5 TDs

freakhappy
03-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Todd, I guess you would know better than most since you're a huge fan. I like the vikes and since I'm a big fantasy player, sometimes I get blinded by stats and not reality. There's no doubt boldin was one of the best in his prime, but I am more looking towards what could be and has a better chance of happening. I doubt that at the end if Percy's career we'll be able to say he was better than boldin, but I believe he's better now...and that was the topic...which will have the bigger impact.

The stats were cool that you brought up, but Percy broke two years ago, not in his first two years, so his stats will be skewed a bit. Also, you didn't include his rushing total or kickoff yardage...big difference if those are added.

steve B
03-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Boldin was covered by the #1 corner, at least in the AFC championship game vs NE. CB Aquib Talib (NE's #1 corner) was covering him, but early in the game Talib got hurt. I don't know who covered him after that, but it didn't matter cuz NE had no other CBs worth a poo.

I'm just happy both stayed out of NE!!!!! The last thing Brady needs is a good wideout like he had in 2007 w/Randy Moss, phew!

Yeah, NE didn't have anywhere near enough on defense, and were a bit banged up on offense -And it only got worse during the game.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Boldin in a Pats uniform.:D I think he's a very solid player.

But 7 million for a guy who will be 33 next year seems a bit steep. I'm glad he got it, and maybe a bit happier he got it from SF.

I like Harvin too, he can be great, but a bit inconsistent.
If he stays in one piece he'll do well.

Steve B