PDA

View Full Version : Gehrig Drew Maxx BRUTAL

Shoeless Moe
03-12-2013, 08:02 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lou-Gehrig-Autograph-Baseball-W-LOA-/181100782881?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2a72a521

The ball itself is so blatantly fake, how does that moron authenticate this.

GrayGhost
03-13-2013, 04:47 AM
He's Drew Max. That's how. Again, a piece of fancy paper means NOTHING.

RelicSports
03-13-2013, 06:26 AM
I saw the same thing. Seeing this and autographs authenticated by ACE just makes me cringe.

GrayGhost
03-13-2013, 06:44 AM
Drew REJECTED a signed Dale Earnhardt tire last night, after he had been off Pawn stars for a while. Damn, hope he isn't coming back for good. :rolleyes:

Mr. Zipper
03-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Drew REJECTED a signed Dale Earnhardt tire last night, after he had been off Pawn stars for a while. Damn, hope he isn't coming back for good. :rolleyes:

The episode with the tire was a repeat.

Incidentally, the NASCAR guy over at Autograph Magazine Live opined the signature was good.

From what I have gathered, Max is permanently gone from Pawn Stars. They are using Rebecca Romney for historical and the sports card shop guy for sports. They both appear to be doing good work.

Bored5000
03-13-2013, 08:15 AM

My whole family were huge Earnhardt fans. I saw that episode of Pawn Stars before, and the guy with the tire said he shipped the tire to Earnhardt at RCR, then had the tire shipped back to him. I can't absolutely say that Earnhardt signed that tire, because I am not an autograph expert.

But Earnhardt was well-known for signing autograph requests he received at the shop himself. He even referenced such a thing in several interviews I saw with him. When I was younger, I wrote to Earnhardt several times at RCR and received autographed postcards in the mail. From what I remember, it took maybe six months to get a reply. Maybe I am just hugely naive and perhaps Earnhardt was lying in interviews, but it seems like if he was using a ghost signer, why not just send an item back as soon as the requests come in?

As an Earnhardt fan, the thing that was just cringe worthy about that episode for me was Corey saying that Earnhardt died blocking so his kid could win a race. Michael Waltrip won the race in which Earnhardt was killed, not Dale Jr. If the show couldn't even get a very basic fact like that correct, it is hard to put much stock in the show's opinions on autographs, either good or no good.

GrayGhost
03-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Hmm. I didn't remember that episode, as I've seen every one or close to it. Thanks though, for saying its a repeat. I know the other guy has been used and the hot lady for the books. Thankfully, no more Drew.

How the Hell would you display t hat massive tire?;)

Bored5000
03-13-2013, 09:08 AM
How the Hell would you display t hat massive tire?;)

I don't know that you would necessarily want to do this with a Dale Earnhardt signed tire (or maybe that is the owner's intent), but some race fans cover a tire with clear plastic/plexiglass and use it as a table in a race-themed room.

The other thing that stood out to me about that episode was Drew saying that Earnhardt's autograph is rare. Sure, there may be lots of fakes out there on eBay, but Earnhardt's autograph is not rare at all. Like pretty much all NASCAR drivers, he signed and signed and signed. Earnhardt would frequently have formal autograph signings and was well-known to sign through the mail for free.

http://diecastcrazy.com/community/show-tell/234378-nascar-tire-tables-3.html

bigtrain
03-13-2013, 09:09 AM
A single signed Gehrig on the sweet spot. Yeah, right. For $2,800.00?:rolleyes: LOL

RichardSimon
03-13-2013, 09:15 AM
I like to look at other items that sellers of bogus items have.
This guy sells jewelry mostly and has sold a Robert E Lee autograph for less than $1000 and a Jackie Robinson autograph for $208.
Fits right in with a Gehrig ball for $2800 (make offer, so he will take less).
Definitely a knowledgeable and qualified autograph dealer:confused::p;);):D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

shelly
03-13-2013, 10:52 AM
I think you guys are being unfair to Drew. Name on person in this industry that has a bigger magnifying glass.:eek:

Mr. Zipper
03-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Despite the giant magnifying glass, he's no Sherlock Holmes.

GrayGhost
03-13-2013, 12:26 PM
LEAVE ME ALONE. never said I was Holmes. He uses deductive reasoning and facts. I just GUESS

Big Dave
03-13-2013, 02:26 PM
What are you guys talking about? Can't anyone else see what a special ball that is? Just look at the stamping....it is a CIA manufactured ball.....was probably used in some covert mission by Mr. Gehrig.

RichardSimon
03-13-2013, 04:25 PM
I think you guys are being unfair to Drew. Name one person in this industry that has a bigger magnifying glass.:eek:

Does size really matter?? :D

shelly
03-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Does size really matter?? :D

In your case no. What you cant see wont hurt you.:p

RichardSimon
03-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Check this out, the ball gets blasted here and the seller raises the price from $2800 to $3400, what a pair this guy has.