PDA

View Full Version : Memory Lane - I Own it Now

Runscott
03-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Has this been discussed?

I received one of their catalogs, and everything was overpriced.

Just got an email, and still wondering - with prices similar or higher to ebay dealer BIN's, what's the point?

t206blogcom
03-12-2013, 07:04 PM
I wondered the same thing when I got my catalog last week.

botn
03-12-2013, 07:44 PM
I received one of their catalogs, and everything was overpriced.

Maybe 50% of the proceeds are going to help support police, fire fighters, veterans, and sick children. Does the catalog say to make checks payable to either U.S. Marketing or North American Charitable Services, Inc?

jefferyepayne
03-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Don't forget there's a 15% buyers fee on top of the price shown as well.

jeff

Bridwell
03-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Apparently they will consider offers. However I'd be offering about half on some of these... Can't imagine they would go that low. It seems like they are appealing to a few Set Registry whales first. Then later on they might get more realistic on the ones that don't sell.

thehoodedcoder
03-12-2013, 10:39 PM
its a terrible trend. things are really bloated right now.

everyone wants unrealistic money for their cards. just let them sit there. they have to eventually try to make make money and the price will quickly change or they will sit on it until the cows return.

kevin

Leon
03-12-2013, 10:44 PM
its a terrible trend. things are really bloated right now.

everyone wants unrealistic money for their cards. just let them sit there. they have to eventually try to make make money and the price will quickly change or they will sit on it until the cows return.

kevin

Capitalism at it's best. The Market will dictate the prices. They can obviously ask whatever they want to. If no one buys them then they will have to go to plan B. It's no different than any other fixed price cards that don't sell for the prices offered. From experience when things don't sell at a certain fixed price, then they go to auction and start out low, many times they end up higher than the fixed price was. I have had things on my website at a certain price not sell, forget to take them down, then auction them and get more than the price on the site. It's not a rare occurrence either. (though I do try to keep things organized the comment is more about not selling and then selling at auction for more)

Shoele$$
03-12-2013, 10:49 PM
To be honest with you, I've also noticed the same thing for a while now with Memory Lane, which is basically why they've become non-existent in my world. As the saying goes, only suckers pay sucker prices......don't ever be a sucker ;)

Shoele$$
03-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Capitalism at it's best. The Market will dictate the prices. They can obviously ask whatever they want to. If no one buys them then they will have to go to plan B. It's no different than any other fixed price cards that don't sell for the prices offered. From experience when things don't sell at a certain fixed price, then they go to auction and start out low, many times they end up higher than the fixed price was. I have had things on my website at a certain price not sell, forget to take them down, then auction them and get more than the price on the site. It's not a rare occurrence either. (though I do try to keep things organized the comment is more about not selling and then selling at auction for more)

Very true.....but markets always change. When everyone is buying, you sell, when everyone is selling, THAT is when you buy. Markets on everything go up and down. Patience is always key.

03-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Very true.....but markets always change. When everyone is buying, you sell, when everyone is selling, THAT is when you buy. Markets on everything go up and down. Patience is always key.

That's what an investor does. Collectors (like myself) buy when they have the money and sell when they don't.

thehoodedcoder
03-12-2013, 11:12 PM
707sportscards is significantly over priced as well.

kevin

Shoele$$
03-12-2013, 11:18 PM
That's what an investor does. Collectors (like myself) buy when they have the money and sell when they don't.

I guess you just need to time it better, lol. Patience of a sniper, you'll almost always find somebody that has what you want a little cheaper than the last guy. Unless it's an ultra rare, super low pop count, extemely high demand card, in that case you don't really have any other alternative. But those for the most part are few and far between.

Shoele$$
03-12-2013, 11:24 PM
707sportscards is significantly over priced as well.

kevin

I definitely agree now, but I remember dealing with Levi back in 1999/2000 and if I recall his prices used to be more competitive than what certain cards were selling on Ebay for at the time. That's obviously changed quite a bit today. Skip right over his Ebay listings every time, and haven't visited his site in about 10 years.

Sean
03-13-2013, 05:44 AM
As a bidder in their auctions I receive Memory Lane's own it now catalogues, and I find them to be way overpriced. However, I got a couple real bargains on modern cards in their auctions. I got 1965 Topps Clemente and Koufax for about 30% less than what they were going for on ebay.:D

sports-rings
03-13-2013, 06:19 AM
Just to clarify...

there is no buyer's premium on this auction. Still overpriced, would be much more fun if the items were truly one-of-a-kind items.

CMIZ5290
03-13-2013, 07:10 AM
I bought a PSA 7 T206 Lajoie Portrait for $2300. The card was crossed over from an SGC 86, I thought it was a pretty decent price....

Leon
03-13-2013, 07:26 AM
To be clear I have bought many things from Memory Lane in their auctions and will participate in the future. I always thought they were good realized prices and I have received good service. Like I say, just participate in what you feel good about and if a price is too high for you don't pay it.

And Glen, unfortunately what I collect is usually the more scarce stuff that you won't see again for a long time....sometimes if ever. I don't use the word "pop" report because a lot of stuff is more likely "how many are known to exist". With my limited resources, even if there is something I want or need, and it is in the clouds price-wise, I still won't be attaining it.

benchod
03-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Just to clarify...

there is no buyer's premium on this auction. Still overpriced, would be much more fun if the items were truly one-of-a-kind items.

That's incorrect. Read their rules

Runscott
03-13-2013, 09:39 AM
To be clear I have bought many things from Memory Lane in their auctions and will participate in the future. I always thought they were good realized prices and I have received good service. Like I say, just participate in what you feel good about and if a price is too high for you don't pay it.

I was referring to a sales catalog of overpriced items, not to their auctions. Was just curious what others thought of this. But, yes, of course - paying more for an item than you think it is worth is kind of stupid, and I doubt many of us do that.

Exhibitman
03-13-2013, 10:29 AM
"I Own It"

They can have it...

sports-rings
03-13-2013, 03:07 PM
That's incorrect. Read their rules

I checked and you are right. There is a buyer's premium. A year and a half ago I purchased something from their Own it Now Auction and there was no Buyer's premium.

jefferyepayne
03-13-2013, 03:11 PM
I checked and you are right. There is a buyer's premium. A year and a half ago I purchased something from their Own it Now Auction and there was no Buyer's premium.

They added a buyers premium a few auctions ago.

jeff

buymycards
03-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Several years ago I bought quite a few 1930's cards from Levi at a show in Chicago and the prices were very reasonable. The prices on his website are not reasonable, in my opinion.

I'm thinking about charging a buyers premium when I set up at shows, and maybe on my ebay sales as well. ;) Leon, can you set up an automatic 15% buyers premium on the BST?

Thanks,

Rick

Runscott
03-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Got an email from them today - they sold 350 lots for $620,000 in their recent 'I Own it' sale.