PDA

View Full Version : What's with the National charging 25.00 admission. What the H#$L

keithsky
03-12-2013, 08:07 AM
Just got an email with info on the National and saw that admission is 20.00 advanced and 25.00 at the door. I realize it is costly to put on a National but I have never seen the admission cost this high in all the Natioanls I have been to and have been to about 15 of them. Problem with getting advanced tics is you hope you can make it by the time it rolls around so to be safe if you get them at the door it's 25.00. Plus the Rosemont charges 13.00 parking so it's almost 40.00 just to walk in the door. I feel the biggest losers here are the dealers because the admission and parking just took out 40.00 that I could have spent at the tables. Just my opinion I think they are pricing themselves to high. Lower the price and more people will come and to high prices people will stay away. In this economy money is still tight and they need to realize that. At least give a free parking pass or something so more money can be spent on the dealers. Why take 40.00 out of my pocket before I walk in the door. Like I said I know it is a costly venture to put a National on but was just kind of taken back with the email and saw the admission prices. Some people won't think it's a big deal because it is the National and it's worth the admission price no matter what it is and that is fine this was just my opinion.

Gmrson
03-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Last year was the 1st year I purchased a VIP pass. Sold my promos, autographs and even my badge for the last 2 days of the show. Worked out well. I'm considering purchasing a Super VIP badge since it includes parking. I thought parking was $20 two years ago, but at $13/a day I will have to assess if it's worth the Super VIP.

I would at least recommend purchasing/printing your admission before the show. It makes getting in so much easier.

yanks12025
03-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Thought about going. But not sure now, didn't realize tickets to all days was almost $200

Leon
03-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Even if I wasn't setting up I would still go for all days. It is the one show a year that I would stretch for even if on a tight budget. That's just me though. I do wish it was a little less costly so more folks could/would go. And a vintage card for the heck of it...

http://luckeycards.com/pt214.jpg

the-illini
03-12-2013, 09:38 AM
25 dollars may not seem like a lot to most collectors on this board, but it seems pretty short-sighted of the people running the show to charge this much. If you want to attract a new collecting base, charging a huge fee isn't going to help at all.

If a father of two wants to take his young kids to the show you're looking at 75 bucks before they even buy a thing. That is not a good way to get new blood into the hobby.

Taxman
03-12-2013, 09:52 AM
25 dollars may not seem like a lot to most collectors on this board, but it seems pretty short-sighted of the people running the show to charge this much. If you want to attract a new collecting base, charging a huge fee isn't going to help at all.

If a father of two wants to take his young kids to the show you're looking at 75 bucks before they even buy a thing. That is not a good way to get new blood into the hobby.

I believe discounts are offered for children. $25 seems high but the show is well worth it and you can save at least $25 by coming to the Net54 dinner:).

the-illini
03-12-2013, 10:02 AM
I believe discounts are offered for children. $25 seems high but the show is well worth it and you can save at least $25 by coming to the Net54 dinner:).

Just saw that children under 12 are free all week - that's a really good thing...

rainier2004
03-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Agreed thats a really good thing, what if they moved the age to 18? Youth is always the key towards future stewardship, and youre never suppose to use the word always.

Bugsy
03-12-2013, 11:20 AM
I understand that $25 would be a lot for the casual collector, but for guys like us, I still think it is a bargain. It's the biggest show in the country, it only occurs once a year, and you see some of the best stuff in the hobby in-person. I certainly get $25 worth of enjoyment out of the day. You can always do a park and ride with the bus/train if you are strapped for cash with parking. And my thought is that if you can afford to travel across the country and stay in a hotel just to go to a card show, the $25 probably won't sink your trip. If the price at the door bothers you, just wait til you see the pricing on the merchandise. :rolleyes: Anyway, just my opinion.

buymycards
03-12-2013, 11:22 AM
I live about 4 1/2 hours from the Rosemont. By the time I figure a 9 hour round trip, $15 bucks in tolls, $70 bucks for gas, $20 bucks for cheap food, $13 for parking, and $25 bucks for admission, it costs me over $140 just to walk in the door.

I agree with Leon. This is the one show that everyone should attend and I plan on being there.

Rick

Gmrson
03-12-2013, 11:33 AM
I agree as well that this is a not-to-miss show. I'll be attending at least 3 days and look forward to the show every year! IMO the benefits outweigh the costs. I always look for ways to cut the cost and pre-buying your ticket is a way to shave a few bucks off.

wazoo
03-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Agreed thats a really good thing, what if they moved the age to 18? Youth is always the key towards future stewardship, and youre never suppose to use the word always.

I'd like that! Even though I will not be able to attend for a few more years.

Jewish-collector
03-12-2013, 12:26 PM
No way I'm going to miss the free food and soda at the Net54 dinner. :D:D:D:D:D

But seriously, I'm a budget collector, so I'm saving to be able to afford the show.

boysblue
03-12-2013, 12:27 PM
I may try to sneak in. Is there a fence I can "hop"? Turn the clock back to the late '60s.

kmac32
03-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Show is well worth attending but $25.00 to get in is a little steep. If you consider airfare, hotel costs, car rental food and other expenses, it makes for some really expensive cards if you buy anything. If you go in as a couple, man and wife, you are at close to $2000.00 before you even buy any cardboard. Current airfare is a minimum of $500.00 each, hotel is $100.00 plus per night, $50.00 to get in per day. At that cost, I could stay home and buy the E121 Ruth I have always wanted.

ullmandds
03-12-2013, 02:06 PM
I agree with the sentiment that it is definitely costly to attend the national...I'm already in for 7-800 and it is still 5 months away and I have no old cardboard to show for it. But like any vacation/trip...I'm paying for the experience?!

I could never leave my house and just spend all of my discretionary income on cards instead of seeing the world...but how boring would that be!?

atx840
03-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Flight - $675
Hotel - $480
Cubs/Dodgers game - $111
VIP Pass - $150

First card show being the Nationals - Priceless.

ullmandds
03-12-2013, 02:29 PM
wowsers Chris...I guess it's a bargain for me!!!!!

atx840
03-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Yep, Ill be using the autos and giftbags/promo pamphlets as kindling to heat ramen noodles back at the hotel room.

kmac32
03-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Flight - $675
Hotel - $480
Cubs/Dodgers game - $111
VIP Pass - $150

First card show being the Nationals - Priceless.

Add $675 additional airfare and additional $150.00 if you bring another person with you

Like I said, the price of a lower grade E121 Ruth added to the collection without the crowds.

conor912
03-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I keep going back and forth on the national. I have never been to one and would love to, but with airfare, hotel, passes, meals and entertainment I have a hard time dropping $2k for the opportunity to spend even more on cards. Particularly when I collect fairly mainstream stuff that is easily found on-line. I would love to be convinced otherwise, but no one has succeeded so far.

Donscards
03-12-2013, 04:42 PM
I will be setting up in Chicago---did Baltimore last year---my expenses are Flight $500----Room $139 plus taxes per night(have to be right next to the hall)---Booth $1300---early in fee to set up tues. $75---and of course taxi--meals--and whatever else---but it is all worth the joy of doing the National---selling cards--buying--meeting great people--going out at night with buddies---and of course the net 54 dinner etc.-----I cant wait--should be another blockbuster----Don

HRBAKER
03-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Wouldn't think of missing it.
It's the only show I know worth $25 a day PLUS parking.

buymycards
03-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Hi Don,
I hope you don't mind me asking, but you mentioned that you are flying out and setting up. How are you planning on getting your cards there? It seems like it would take a ton of inventory to pay all of your expenses and I wouldn't think you would want to fly it out.

Just curious ( and nosey).:)

Thanks,
Rick

Donscards
03-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Hi Don,
I hope you don't mind me asking, but you mentioned that you are flying out and setting up. How are you planning on getting your cards there? It seems like it would take a ton of inventory to pay all of your expenses and I wouldn't think you would want to fly it out.

Just curious ( and nosey).:)

Thanks,
Rick

Rick--I am taking all my graded cards and singles with me on the plane--my clothing with go in my second bag with a few other sports items---I will be mailing some boxes to my hotel with other cards,etc. in it priority mail--hopefully all will get there----I hope it works I did drive to Baltimore last year----I flew to Ca. in 96 I think it was---took all my cards along---Don