PDA

View Full Version : I made a big mistake a few years ago....

slidekellyslide
03-11-2013, 02:15 PM
About four years ago I made a bunch of reproduction cabinet photos out of my real cabinets to display around my house...I did this because I didn't want my real ones to fade, and I also didn't want my real ones out in the open in case of burglary. When my second child was born I removed all of them and threw them in a box...I subsequently had a garage sale and here's my mistake...I sold them. They all had "REPRODUCTION" written on the back of them in ink and I sold them for a dollar or two as reproductions.

A year or so back I saw that the local "We Sell It For You On Ebay" Store had listed a group of family type cabinet photos with some of my repro baseball photos mixed in....and none of them had "Reproduction" on the reverse side...I emailed the seller to tell them the baseball photos were not real...he ignored my mail so I drove down there with the real photos and asked to see the repros in person...you could clearly see that my repro markings were scratched off...he then pulled the lot off of ebay. I asked him to tell me the name of the consignor and he would not give it to me.

Skip forward to today and I see that one of my repros is listed on ebay as a legit photo...I emailed the seller and have yet to hear back, but I'm hoping they do the right thing. This seller took good enough photos that you can clearly see in one of them that I just glued the color copy I made over an existing photo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baseball-Bums-Team-from-OMAHA-NEBRASKA-/130866914119?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item1e7846a347

Here's the original photo in my photobucket

http://s22.beta.photobucket.com/user/nudan92/media/Vintage%20Baseball%20Memorabilia/baseballcabinet1Small.jpg.html?sort=4&o=2

Yes, I regret selling those repros...No, I would never do anything like that again.

drc
03-11-2013, 02:42 PM
As you had repro written on the backs, I don't believe you did anything wrong.

sbfinley
03-11-2013, 02:44 PM
As you had repro written on the backs, I don't believe you did anything wrong.

I agree. You cannot be held responsible for the greed of others.

Leon
03-11-2013, 02:57 PM
That is a beautiful photo otherwise...

Runscott
03-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Dan, thanks for sharing this.

I did the same thing ten years ago, right down to buying leather tools to add effects to my reproduction cabinet mounts. One day I got paranoid and threw all of them away. I also have a reproduction set of Old Judge cards that I used as a prank on Jay - I made two sets and kept one. My concern has always been that when something happens to me, they will somehow end up on ebay.

Probably will do something severe to them as a marking, especially after hearing your story.

slidekellyslide
03-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Looks like the seller ended the auction. I still have a bunch of these repros that I made of my Nebraska Indians baseball cabinets, but they are still displayed in a cabinet that my child can't get into. All of those have repro written on the back as well...I told my wife that when I die she should throw those away. :D

ksfarmboy
03-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Dan for a second there I thought you were going to say you sold the real ones by mistake.

slidekellyslide
03-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Dan for a second there I thought you were going to say you sold the real ones by mistake.

When I made them my concern was that my wife wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Most of my good stuff is in the bank...the stuff that will fit anyway.