PDA

View Full Version : How many jerseys are players issued for the season today?

BigJJ
03-10-2013, 05:09 PM
How many jerseys are players issued for the season today?

It must vary by player a bit, correct? I say this because it appears that Jeter receives a good number more than the average player, perhaps so he has more game used jerseys and game issued jerseys for sale. Also it would make sense for veterans, who are likely to be with the team all year, to receive more jerseys than a questionable rookie, who may or may not make it through the year.

Does it vary by team as well?

Would also be interested in thoughts as to how many jerseys players were issued in earlier generations, in the 1920's, 1940's, 1960's, 1980's, and today.

whitehse
03-10-2013, 08:39 PM
When I worked for a MLB team each player was issued by the team two full home and two full road uniforms for the season. I know that a player could purchase more uniforms if he wanted and I assume this is probably what is happening if Jeter or other superstars is giving or selling their jerseys. It is entirely possible that the team will issue additional jerseys and sell them on the hobby market but I know for a fact the rule is basically two road and two home uniforms for the season.

BigJJ
03-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Thank you Andrew. I am surprised that 2 home and 2 away jerseys is it today for some players/teams.

I had in my mind 4 home and 4 away. just in my mind, did not receive this number from anyone.

yanks12025
03-11-2013, 09:05 AM
It really depends on the team. Yankees probably use over 4 of each home and away.

Bugsy
03-11-2013, 11:06 AM
I have heard of star players receiving up to 6 of each style...but it could even be more than that if they have a deal with a Steiner-like company.

Hot Springs Bathers
03-12-2013, 07:03 AM
There was a great segment on HBO's Real Sports several years ago that showed Barry Bonds' storage room. He wore a new EVERYTHING in every game and then stored it for future sales?

whitehse
03-12-2013, 10:51 AM
The star players who understand the collectables market and have the means to change jerseys on a daily or even a inning per inning basis certainly can obtain as many jerseys as they want. They are "game used" if only for an inning but the average player will usually only get these two sets of home and road jerseys per year.

The team I worked for had a rather militant equipment manager who would reuse and recycle any and all equipment that he could to save the team money. He once gave a new player to the team a used hat of the player he was replacing and would never give a fresh uniform to the September call-ups. I know he charged from office people if they needed a hat for a client or even if the hat was for personal use. Of course each team is different but from what I have seen most stick to the 2 home/away rule for the most part.

BigJJ
03-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Interesting, thanks again.

Can you imagine wearing someone else's sweaty hat that made it to September. Eeeek At least the shirts are washed.

whitehse
03-12-2013, 01:53 PM
I had heard from a number of players that saw the new player getting the former players hat and they all said the same thing......."ewww". LOL

BigJJ
03-12-2013, 04:52 PM
It's really funny. I wonder if they were all just having a laugh at the rookie.

MacDice
03-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Gaylord Perry wore a different jersey each inning the night he won his 300th game.

BigJJ
03-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Gaylord Perry wore a different jersey each inning the night he won his 300th game.

! wonder if any have come to market, and price, given so many jerseys.

perezfan
03-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Yes- At least a couple of them definitely did.

Aquifer
03-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Mr. White's comment about the equipment manager made me smile. I worked in the minors for a few years in the 1980's and one of the opposing clubs did the same thing--anyone getting released or called up had to surrender their caps to the newcomers. Ebeneezer Scrooge would've been proud!

To me, a game-used article should be "real" not "manipulated" by duplicates. I understand money rules all but but that puts me off on something like this. Visiting the HOF years ago, there was a prominent display of hats worn by no-hit pitchers. And it was obvious they'd been worn only for show, maybe even AFTER the game, because they had no sign of wear whatsoever. Was disappointed in the HOF for such low standards--there and in a few other instances. Lord knows they have enough real stuff to put together an "honest" display.

Nashvol
03-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Charlie Finley was known to take up his player's caps at the end of the season and send them back to New Era to have the sweatbands replaced with new ones, then hand them out at the beginning of the next season...

Ulidia
03-16-2013, 09:31 AM
I have absolutely zero knowledge of the baseball match worn market but do have some knowledge of the (European) soccer match worn market.

Therefore, a figure of 2 or 4 (or anything in single figures) over a season intuitively feels on the low side to me.

I collect certain types of match worn soccer shirts and, in relative terms, happy to pay fairly generous sums for these.

However, I don't touch modern match-worn soccer shirts for a variety of reasons, including the fact that there are too many match worn / match prepared shirts for each high-profile player to make them sufficiently rare.

gnaz01
03-16-2013, 11:04 AM

I heard Pete Rose did the same he hit 4,192