PDA

View Full Version : Pie Traynor, copy of sketch, w/ press stamp

billyb
03-07-2013, 07:42 PM
First let me apologize for the sample watermark on photo, was way I received this copy. Photo is actually clean.
This is believed to be a copy of a newspaper artist's work. The copy is printed right on this 14 x 9 heavy duty cardboard stock. and has press stamp on back stating "reference dept. 6 Oct 1927 Press" We tried 3 different copy machines but stamp would not come out, but is easily read with naked eye.
So if this was used by media, why preserved on such a large stock??
I am guessing that it was made from the original drawing and used as a sort of die to make other copies, what do you think'
We put a small yellow mark on back indicating where press stamp is located,zoom and you can faintly see outline.90922

drc
03-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Sounds like a proof. Cartoons, comic strips and similar syndicated newspaper art had so-called proofs, which were copies of the art sent to the newspapers and used to make the cartoons in the newspaper. You'll find them for the major comic strips like Peanuts and Far Side, and they can be oversized like yours.

billyb
03-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks DRC, I was thinking along the same lines too. It sure is different.

drc
03-07-2013, 08:21 PM
I had a few for cartoon strips that belonged to a retired newspaper editor. They're interesting items, with display value.

billyb
03-07-2013, 08:33 PM
what happened to you prints/proofs??

drc
03-07-2013, 08:51 PM
I won in an auction years back a bunch of modern ones that the editor had hand signed by the artists-- Charles Schulz, Gary Larsen (Far Side), Dik Browne (Haggar the Horrible), etc. I sold them all off a long while back.

Interestingly, the collection included a limited edition non-proof Calvin and Hobbes lithograph autographed by Bill Watterson that was given as a gift to subscribing newspapers in I think 1992. I didn't think much about it, I just thought it was run of the mill modern signed print worth less than the proofs. I later learned that Watterson is like the Shoeless Joe Jackson of comic strip artists in that be almost never signed anything, and the market value for print was around $1,500.

billyb
03-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Wow what a nice prize,
The only thing I know about this possible proof is that the date on press stamp is 6 Oct 1927, The Pirates were in the world series and on Oct 5, Pie had 3 hits in a loss to the Yankees. It may have some significance to that game, if that is the case, then some Pittsburg artist probably did this sketch. That is a shot in the dark.

billyb
03-11-2013, 11:26 PM
I recently received information regarding this copy of Pie, and as DRC mentioned it is a proof copy, and because of the press stamp on the back, it was probably used to make the copies of this image for the newspaper. The 7-4 was the type of ink used and on the back, the c-3 meant it would take up 3 column spaces.
Because this copy of the original was used for the newspapers, this is probably the only copy of the original. As told to me, these proofs from the 1920s are very rare. The copy I posted does not give this photo justice.
If the original is not in existence any longer, this would make the only copy of this artist's sketch(who ever he was).
Just passing on this information for future reference to those who may not know about these artist's proofs.
By the way, on limited editions of prints, with #1 being the first print, these proofs are given the number "0".