PDA

View Full Version : Why even try to help?

RichardSimon
03-04-2013, 09:36 AM
I received a phone call this morning,,, a summary follows:

"I called because I need your help, please steer me in the right direction. I am calling about a glove that is autographed by Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb, Roy Campanella, Hank Aaron and I know this is hard to believe but Shoeless Joe Jackson. It has already been looked at and they said it was good."
So I ask the guy who looked at it. "Someone in North Carolina." Yes, that is exactly what he said.
I said "who in North Carolina?" He said it had been in a family for years and they told his girlfriend that it was good. His girlfriend is there now. "What should I do?"

DO YOU BELIEVE THESE MORONS?

I asked him if he was a hobbyist and he said no. So I told him how the hobby has more scammers than ever before and there is virtually no chance that the glove is authentically signed.
I asked him how much they want for it. He did not quote a price. I told him to make sure to have it examined before he bought it.
He said he would get back to me.
If I had to make a bet on the outcome, I would bet he buys the glove.

sometimes it makes you wonder why you even bother.

r2678
03-04-2013, 10:48 AM
I once sold a 1985 Grand National T-top. Beautiful car but mechanically a POS. Car went through local (Florida) auction and ended up in North Carolina. Prospective buyer called me with questions. I was honest but no matter what problem with the car that I stated, she knew someone who could fix it. I finally wished her good luck and hung up.

Wymers Auction
03-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Who knows Richard before this guy sells it maybe it will wind up with even more autos.

Sean1125
03-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Some people make it through life completely naive... More power to them, but that is not for me... I could never live not knowing what goes on around me.

Deertick
03-04-2013, 03:53 PM
sometimes it makes you wonder why you even bother.

Because of the people that we help that do listen!

RichardSimon
03-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Who knows Richard before this guy sells it maybe it will wind up with even more autos.

That is always possible. Anyone can resurrect Cy Young, Jackie Robinson, Honus Wagner.

mr2686
03-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Of course they were legit...they were on a Mickey Lolich model glove.:p

Leon
03-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Richard, all we can do is give advice. After that people have to make their own decisions. Sometimes, when folks don't believe what I say (and I am sure of what I am talking about), I just say "ok". I know I at least tried to help.

Runscott
03-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Richard, all we can do is give advice. After that people have to make their own decisions. Sometimes, when folks don't believe what I say (and I am sure of what I am talking about), I just say "ok". I know I at least tried to help.

Yeah, I agree with your post except I add "dumbass" after the "ok" part. I know I need to work on that response a little.

Paul S
03-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Of course they were legit...they were on a Mickey Lolich model glove.:p

Ha ha. Yes. It was the same person who questioned the authenticity of a Mantle auto that was on his own obituary.

r2678
03-06-2013, 04:23 PM
This glove sounds like a softball that was making the rounds a number of years ago. Had well over a dozen "signatures."