PDA

View Full Version : I Found Some Cards.....

johnmh71
03-02-2013, 10:29 AM
I once had a situation where my wife's aunt found a large number of cards in an apartment that she was renting out. The renter had split and left them after he failed to pay the rent. So, knowing that I was a big collector, she asked that I take a look at them the next time that I was over at her house.

Well, unfortunately, it was a huge carton filled with 80's and 90's cards :(. Have any of you non-dealers had a similar situation where you struck gold? I hope that one day I will be as lucky.

frankh8147
03-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Well, I personally didn't strike gold because I never saw a penny from it but during my college years, an ex-girlfriends' mother was cleaning her mothers' house and found some old baseball pins. She showed the collection to me and I identified them as 1898 cameo pins-there was an Anson in them too! The family was able to pay off some bills after i directed them to a consignment auction. It was something i'll never forget!

I once had a situation where my wife's aunt found a large number of cards in an apartment that she was renting out. The renter had split and left them after he failed to pay the rent. So, knowing that I was a big collector, she asked that I take a look at them the next time that I was over at her house.

Well, unfortunately, it was a huge carton filled with 80's and 90's cards :(. Have any of you non-dealers had a similar situation where you struck gold? I hope that one day I will be as lucky.

drc
03-02-2013, 12:18 PM
I know where a famous British photographer working in New York City skipped the country a few years ago and left loads of his original photos and negatives in his apartment. The landlord auctioned them off and I won a bunch. Some were valuable. Some time later, the photographer, now in Tahiti, learned I had a bunch of his photos and emailed me. He didn't ask for the photos back, but did ask if I could send scans of them, which I did.

I didn't get the photos for free, but that's the left-behind story.

Ladder7
03-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Cleaning out the house here. Just this AM, gave a couple of kids four binders of 80-90s stuff. They were happy to get Magic, Bird, Jordan, Gretzky Bourque, Wakefield, Griffey etc. They struck gold :)

tennisguy
03-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Nice to hear your kind act Steve!

All the Best,

Ryan Heffner

t206blogcom
03-02-2013, 03:59 PM
My wife occassionaly works at her family's coffee shop, where one day an old man was talking to her about his coin collection (of all things) while she was making his drink. She replied that I collect old tobacco cards and he said, "oh, I have boxes of those at home. I'll have to bring them in so he can have them. I haven't touched them for decades." Of course with my luck, she didn't get his name or contact information and he's never returned. :(

They're probably old fish or bird cards, but I like to dream it's a cigar box full of Wagners, Cobbs, Mathewsons and the remaining Hindu southern leaguers I need. :D

deadballfreaK
03-02-2013, 07:01 PM
About 1971 or 72 I was walking to the grocery store. I took a shortcut through an alley and happened to glance in an incinerator. There sitting on top was a box of baseball cards. It turned out to be 1963 Topps. There were 4 or 5 unopened packs, which I immediately opened. Wish I could say there was a Mantle. Not a real star in the batch, but I didn't start collecting until 1964 and I was tickled to get a few mint '63s! Wish I had kept the box and not even opened them.

smrtn240
03-03-2013, 01:32 PM
I remember when my parents had bought there new house when I was about 11 or 12 and rummaging through(then) unfinished basement and finding a home made map in between a crack in the wall. It described a spot in the back yard(measured in yards from the back door of the house) to an area by a big apple tree. Something was marked by an X. So after school one day I decided to dig up all around that area and finally discovered a tin container containing all but 80's, early 90's baseball cards. Ha, I'll never forget the 1990 topps Ken Griffey Jr. All Star Rookie card that was inside, I struck gold!
Later got yelled at for digging up the back yard:o