PDA

View Full Version : Framing Pennants

BBSD
02-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Looking for advice on framing this Stanford pennant at a reasonable price. Any suggestions and examples would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

Barry

Jaybird
02-24-2013, 06:56 PM
That is a beautiful pennant. Make sure you pay up for UV Plexi or UV glass. I've found that UV Plexi has come a long way in the last 15 years and has the benefit of light weight vs. glass.

UnVme7
02-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Im glad someone asked this, as I was thinking of getting one of mine framed as well.

I plan on getting it custome framed, but do most people frame theirs the shape of the pennant, or just a regular rectangle?

Anyone have any examples?

william_9
02-24-2013, 08:23 PM
Gents, I'm working with a custom framer who will be making these frames for me. We're hoping to have them available in my booth at the National this summer. At the very least, I will have one on hand to view at the show. In the meantime, custom orders are available. PM me for details if interested.

Apologies for the crappy phone pic, this was something quick that I posted on twitter a while back.

The frame is solid walnut with an oiled and waxed finish and is shown with UV glass. Additionally, there is a slight shadow box effect to keep the pennant off the glass. We may go with UV plexi as an alternative because it is safer to ship, though that benefit comes with other downsides.

brownscollector78
02-24-2013, 08:35 PM
That is an awesome Stanford pennant!

Bugsy
02-24-2013, 08:54 PM
It would be ideal, speaking from a point of conservation and preservation, to not actually have the pennant touching the glass, but it is definitely worth the extra money to have a UV blocker added.

Rob D.
02-24-2013, 08:55 PM
I've had only two pennants framed and prefer a rectangular look rather than a triangle. I also prefer not to use a cut-out mat around the pennant. But it's all a matter of personal preference.

Edited to add: I agree with what Chris said about not having the pennant and glass touch. Mine have spacers between the mat and glass.

BBSD
02-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the input and comments guys. William, rectangular also? Hopefully we'll see additional examples and ideas.

Bestdj777
02-24-2013, 09:11 PM
How do you guys secure the pennant to the backing without damaging it?

william_9
02-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the input and comments guys. William, rectangular also? Hopefully we'll see additional examples and ideas.

Barry, yes, rectangular frames will also be available. We've come up with a system that is completely customizable, so square corners or triangle shaped, it's all doable.

william_9
02-24-2013, 11:35 PM
How do you guys secure the pennant to the backing without damaging it?

If the pennant is floating (not touching the glass), it is ideally secured to the mat with a few loops of invisible thread. Fragile materials should be sewn to a backing (again, invisible) then secured to the mat.

Bestdj777
02-25-2013, 06:20 AM
If the pennant is floating (not touching the glass), it is ideally secured to the mat with a few loops of invisible thread. Fragile materials should be sewn to a backing (again, invisible) then secured to the mat.

Thanks!

Ladder7
02-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Barry,

This is from the fellow that had this pennant framed, "Please keep it in the frame as it is, as there is no stitching, glue, etc... holding it in place, but rather is held there by a museum quality acid free plastic envelope. All of the matting is acid free as well. They actually call it "elvelop" or something like that."

The baggie really stands out with a flash. But, isn't as obtrusive in real life. It's not glossy either. And the double matte helps keep the pennant away from the glass. Doubtful I'd have it framed differently.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/oche16/Boston/RoyalRooterspennant.jpg

william_9
02-25-2013, 08:22 PM
That's a perfectly good way to do it too, Steve.

BBSD
02-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks for sharing Steve. Cheers, Barry

jester
02-26-2013, 04:15 AM
What happens to the pennant if it touches the glass for a short period or long period?
If using thread, how far apart would you put stitches?

Thanks
Jeff

vintagesportflips
02-26-2013, 07:46 AM
For my standard 29 inch Eagles pennants, I simply hang the mylar pennant sleeves on the wall with the 3m interlocking adhesive hangers.
For oversized pennants, I have done 2 things.
First, I had my nicest Carlisle Indians pennant framed in a large square frame, held in place with invisible stitching. Pretty expensive framing job.
For my lesser Carlisle pennants, I chose a much less expensive option, although not nearly has good from an archival standpoint. I had them shrinkwrapped on triangular pieces of board. This allows me to hang them, and protect them somewhat, and if I recall only costed around $15-$20 each. My framer also does shrinkwrapping.
http://antiquesports.co/CarlislePennantFramedR1.jpg
http://antiquesports.co/CarlislePennant2R.jpg

perezfan
02-26-2013, 10:10 AM
What happens to the pennant if it touches the glass for a short period or long period?

Thanks
Jeff

I may be the lone Devil's Advocate...

I have about 30 pennants which have been framed against glass for 20+ years now. I have spot-checked about half of them, and removed them from the frames. In 20+ years of being framed that way, there has been no instance of any degradation to the felt or the graphics. There's never been any hint of a pennant sticking to the glass (if that's the concern). I am not sure what the specific down-side is, regarding the glass touching the felt. Perhaps someone here will clarify.

I've seen countless pennants ruined by using tape or adhesive on the reverse side. And I simply cannot bring myself to put stitches into the actual felt.

The other factor is cost. A professionally framed/matted pennant will cost around $400 to do (perhaps more, depending on options). I have over 50 framed pennants, so it's saved me thousands of dollars to do the framing myself. Even with acid-free mats, conservation glass, etc, it costs me less than $70 a piece, to do it myself.

Just personal preference... I am sure that most here will disagree. Probably best to go with the majority, or (if you want to shell out) Steve's example in post #13.

Bugsy
02-26-2013, 01:09 PM

Thanks
Jeff

This article should answer all of your questions:

http://www.theconservationcenter.com/article/677327-the-importance-of-conservation-framing-the

UnVme7
02-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Go to your local craft store and get it framed when they're having a sale for around $60.

Leon
02-26-2013, 02:24 PM
This was done before I got it but it's a nice inexpensive shadow box. And this is the Larger, Premium Fergusons banner....(at least I think it is)

http://luckeycards.com/pbf2premiumalexander.jpeg

Rob D.
02-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Go to your local craft store and get it framed when they're having a sale for around $60.

Depending on the pennant and its value, I would think long and hard about doing this.

perezfan
02-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Rob... Good advice.

Also... You really did a great job with that Indians Pennant. (I keep going back and looking at it)

That matting really picks up the facial skin tones of the 9 Indians. I don't think it could have been done any nicer. Just beautiful work!

mjkm90
02-26-2013, 06:16 PM
Mark's method is the best value (look+price), but Rob D's approach is what I take for my best pieces. It's expensive $300+, but really worth it if the pennant will be a centerpiece.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/mjkm90/IMG_0498.jpg

UnVme7
02-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Depending on the pennant and its value, I would think long and hard about doing this.

I've personally never framed pennants, just old photos and I've had great luck.

perezfan
02-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Mark's method is the best value (look+price), but Rob D's approach is what I take for my best pieces. It's expensive $300+, but really worth it if the pennant will be a centerpiece.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/mjkm90/IMG_0498.jpg

Mike...

Ditto (for your mat perfectly complimenting the Tiger Pennant). Perfect choice... Gorgeous!

Rob D.
02-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the kind words on the Indians pennant. The Naps pennant below is the other one that I had framed. Sorry for the crappy, smart-phone photo.

Mike is spot-on regarding the expense of going this route. There's so much wasted space, and it's annoying to have to pay for it.

BBSD
02-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Great thoughts and examples guys. I appreciate the conversation. Perez- thanks for sharing. I recall some of your pennants in previous threads and was interested in what you had done.

brownscollector78
02-27-2013, 01:36 AM
I have never had a pennant framed.

For my best pennants, I simply put them into a soft pennant sleeve and then into a hard pennant toploader. I display them in places where sunlight is avoided.

This protects them well enough for me.

baseball tourist
02-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the kind words on the Indians pennant. The Naps pennant below is the other one that I had framed. Sorry for the crappy, smart-phone photo.

Mike is spot-on regarding the expense of going this route. There's so much wasted space, and it's annoying to have to pay for it.

Haven't framed any of mine yet but appreciate this thread as it is helpful. I can't get over the wasted space in the rectangular framing styles. If I were to go with professional framing I believe I would have to go with a custom triangular frame or mount complimentary items around the piece. The blank spaces detract too much IMHO.

BBSD
09-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the input. Decided to go with a frame the has an aged look, not to double mat and tried to pick up a bit of the lighter color in the pants in the mat. Decided against thread, instead went with a taped back in just a couple of spots.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and sharing your examples.

Cheers,
Barry

Scott Garner
09-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Looks great! Nice job. :)

mr2686
09-04-2013, 04:56 PM
That is very nice. Very good choice.

perezfan
09-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Great pennant- perfect frame... Excellent work!

Kzoo
09-06-2013, 05:59 PM
I have about 30 pennants which have been framed against glass for 20+ years now.

Even with acid-free mats, conservation glass, etc, it costs me less than $70 a piece, to do it myself.

Perez........I like your way of thinking in regards to 'pennant against glass'. My question is, do you use real glass or plexi-glass? Also, Is 'conservation glass' the same as 'uv' protected? With my concern being overall weight of the framed piece. Thanks............Matt

BBSD
09-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Thx for the kind words guys. FWIW I went the Perez way (pennant against glass w/ as little tape as possible). I ditto your sentiment regarding Perez, his way of thinking is dead on on all issues that I've read.

perezfan
09-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys... much appreciated. Acrylic/plexiglass is a nice option, as it's much lighter than glass. I might switch over to that in the future, as I often worry about the overall weight as well.

I've always used UV glass in the past, but honestly think anything is ok as long as you keep them out of direct light. I would go with those 100% "light-blocking" UV Blinds on the windows, and then use whatever type of glass or plexiglass you prefer. The window coverings are probably even more important than the glass ;)