PDA

View Full Version : babe ruth & Lou gehrig dual auto help

sportscollector
02-24-2013, 11:15 AM
I am thinking of making a huge purchess. The item is this dual cut auto of babe ruth and lou gehrig the autos are just beautiful. its has been JSA authenticated and it says so on the reverse. the seller wants $14,500 for it what is this thing acutally worth? http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a514/sportscollector2012/img627_zpsd895bf88.jpg

Donscards
02-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Well if it was on a regular piece of paper, I would say $6-7000----but this is from a card company and alot of true autograph collectors hate these things----but it is a 1of1--according to the card company---I would say in that world of card autos---maybe $8-9000----just my opinion--good luck, Don

RichardSimon
02-24-2013, 12:05 PM
If you want a Ruth-Gehrig autograph on an album page, index card or whatever you can certainly get it for less than $14K.
I have NEVER been a fan of this type of card and think that just because a card company calls it a 1/1 it does not make it special.

Sean1125
02-24-2013, 12:09 PM
The sad realization is that even though the signature gets less out of the slab, it will hit market with a premium since it is from a product. I don't personally understand it myself but I've spoken with several collectors and some say it is the chase, being able to say you own the cards on the front of a box or the big hits in a product... To be objective I get it, I don't agree with it... And with that said, I know nothing of the value and will not chime in on that.

shelly
02-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Go to a Michael's and buy a card. Cut a hole in it and put in any autograph you want. Number it one of one and enjoy.:) If it is really nice I might buy it.

sportscollector
02-24-2013, 12:15 PM
its not a chase card. it was sent in and was encapulated . leaf has a programe ware you can take any cut signature and have incased and certifed by JSA or PSA DNA. The signatures look to be in mint condition. what is a good price to pay for this considering the sigs are in very nice shape

Sean1125
02-24-2013, 12:17 PM
its not a chase card. it was sent in and was encapulated . leaf has a programe ware you can take any cut signature and have incased and certifed by JSA or PSA DNA. The signatures look to be in mint condition. what is a good price to pay for this considering the sigs are in very nice shape

That sounds really weird of them to do, but I would stay in line with what the experts said which seems to be $6k~$8k

thecatspajamas
02-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Take what it would cost to buy the cut, add in the cost to have Leaf turn it into a card, and that's your value, because you could do the same thing yourself. You might have to wait until the next year to do so, since I think they have a limit on 1 of each signature or signature combo per year to maintain the "1 of 1" status, but it's not like this is the only Ruth/Gehrig cut that will find its way into a card ever. Based on what the others are saying, if you can get the cut for $7k, paying another $7k to have it in a card seems like a very high premium. Personally, I'd rather have two Ruth/Gehrig cuts than 1 in a card/slab :p

sportscollector
02-24-2013, 12:39 PM
are thre any premium for the card since the signatures are in really nice condition? check this ruth gehrig cut on ebay seller is asking 27k for it and its just a cut by it self. here is the ebay link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-9-Mint-Babe-Ruth-and-Lou-Gehrig-multi-signed-cut-auto-Museum-Quality-10-BGS-/290861555860?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item43b8b32094

Sean1125
02-24-2013, 12:41 PM
I can ask $5000 for my SGC 10 Mantle, will I ever get it? No... But I can ask for that much...

sportscollector
02-24-2013, 12:46 PM
whats the auto in the ebay auction worth?

Sean1125
02-24-2013, 12:48 PM
There is one available for 1/3 of the price and it hasn't sold yet... I reaffirm that the earlier range of $6k-$8k is very reasonable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Leaf-Cut-Babe-Ruth-Lou-Gehrig-Pipgras-Signed-Executive-Masterpiece-1-1-/110973765080?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item19d68d45d8

sportscollector
02-24-2013, 12:55 PM
thanks for the help sean. I think i rather have the 2012 leaf cut has better eye appeal then the other one dont like the third signature on the 2011. so if i can get the 2012 leaf cut ruth gehrig auto for 6 to 8k i will have paid a fair price?

Sean1125
02-24-2013, 01:05 PM
I would say so... E-bay BIN's are always very high, I know mine are...

collectbaseball
02-24-2013, 01:23 PM
are thre any premium for the card since the signatures are in really nice condition?

The sigs are bold but there's an obvious crease right through the middle of 'em. You could pick up a semi-beat-up-but-readable baseball signed by those guys for that price if you wait for the right auction.

RichardSimon
02-24-2013, 01:41 PM
are thre any premium for the card since the signatures are in really nice condition? check this ruth gehrig cut on ebay seller is asking 27k for it and its just a cut by it self. here is the ebay link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-9-Mint-Babe-Ruth-and-Lou-Gehrig-multi-signed-cut-auto-Museum-Quality-10-BGS-/290861555860?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item43b8b32094

The seller is ASKING,,,. Asking prices on ebay are MEANINGLESS. Completed sale prices are the only thing that matters.
Actually I like Shelly's idea, make your own.

RichardSimon
02-24-2013, 01:46 PM
its not a chase card. it was sent in and was encapulated . leaf has a programe ware you can take any cut signature and have incased and certifed by JSA or PSA DNA.

Another classic idea to separate a collector and his money by supplying something that is supposed to have value. But do you think it really does?
Do you really think that the services rendered by this Leaf deal are worth $7K?
Man I would rather buy some swamp land in Florida :D

sportscollector
02-24-2013, 01:57 PM
yeah i see the crease but it does not distract from the sigs to me i think the signatures are just beautiful on this piece. seller wont go lower then $12k for it. I offered $7500. Those Gehrig and ruth auto's are very nice regardless of the paper crease.

sportscollector
02-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Another classic idea to separate a collector and his money by supplying something that is supposed to have value. But do you think it really does?
Do you really think that the services rendered by this Leaf deal are worth $7K?
Man I would rather buy some swamp land in Florida :D

i do agree with you it should not add 7k in value but the way it is displayed in that case makes it look very nice but not a 7k premium thats for sure. hopefully the seller will come down more. I offered $7500 because i really like it

perezfan
02-24-2013, 01:59 PM
I completely agree with Dan.... and would definitely rather hold out for a Ball. You could actually get a decent one at that price.

That crease would always bug me as well.

HRBAKER
02-24-2013, 02:55 PM
IMO the seller did you a favor by turning down your offer.

Runscott
02-24-2013, 05:26 PM
The sigs are bold but there's an obvious crease right through the middle of 'em. You could pick up a semi-beat-up-but-readable baseball signed by those guys for that price if you wait for the right auction.

And I wonder whose signature that is below Gehrig's, that was erased?

sportscollector
02-24-2013, 07:02 PM
the seller never accepted my offer but what ever the case maybe with that card those auto's of ruth and gehrig are extremly nice and attractive. I wanted to get something like that and frame it with a 16x20 Ruth and Gehrig photo it would make a great display piece. I will keep searching until I find the right one

RichardSimon
02-24-2013, 07:30 PM
the seller never accepted my offer but what ever the case maybe with that card those auto's of ruth and gehrig are extremly nice and attractive. I wanted to get something like that and frame it with a 16x20 Ruth and Gehrig photo it would make a great display piece. I will keep searching until I find the right one

Patience will pay off for you and IMO get a vintage 8x10 rather than a modern 16x20 to frame it with.

thecatspajamas
02-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Also, nice signature or not, I don't understand the need to get a cut mounted (framed) in a card when you're going to turn around and frame the card/cut again? It seems like you're complicating the framing process and adding additional expense to achieve the same end result?

shelly
02-24-2013, 08:00 PM
As, David Hannum, said :)"There is a sucker born every minute.

David Atkatz
02-24-2013, 08:06 PM
You'd know, Shelly. Your business used to depend on those suckers.

The guy came here for some advice. Why must you insult him?

thetruthisoutthere
02-24-2013, 08:58 PM
You'd know, Shelly. Your business used to depend on those suckers.

The guy came here for some advice. Why must you insult him?

Do you mean, Mr. Atkatz, the same way you insulted Shelly about dyslexia?

Or the same way you insulted me about my low-end Tom Tresh collection?

sportscollector
02-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Patience will pay off for you and IMO get a vintage 8x10 rather than a modern 16x20 to frame it with.

great idea I will do that if and when i pick up a nice cut auto of ruth and gehrig. I have been looking for one for a while this one was one of the nicest auto's i have ever seen but i wont over pay.

sportscollector
02-24-2013, 09:15 PM
how much would a orginal 8x10 of ruth and gehrig cost?

David Atkatz
02-24-2013, 09:27 PM

Or the same way you insulted me about my low-end Tom Tresh collection?For the millionth f*#king time, Chris. It's Dr. Atkatz, to you. ;)

David Atkatz
02-24-2013, 09:34 PM

Or the same way you insulted me about my low-end Tom Tresh collection?Nah, not the same way at all. The three of us--you, me, Shelly--know (and despise) one another. We'll be insulting one another--as far as I can see--until one of us dies.

Sportscollector is completely unknown to Shelly. The insult was totally uncalled for. (And, BTW, it's not the first time he's insulted some newbie whose only "crime" was not being as educated as Shelly seems to think he himself is.)

David Atkatz
02-24-2013, 09:53 PM
Chris, does anyone have a high-end Tom Tresh collection?

earlywynnfan
02-25-2013, 05:47 AM
To the OP:

You may want to start another thread, or perhaps just deal with a few people in this thread through private messages. As you can see, you've got three members on here whose juvenile squabbling will drag this into a cesspool. It's happened many times before.

Ken

mr2686
02-25-2013, 07:46 AM
What's wrong with Tom Tresh? I have 3 signed magazines and a signed topps card of him that I love to look at. :)

Runscott
02-25-2013, 08:50 AM
My first baseball card purchase had a Tom Tresh in it - 1965 cello rack pack. As far as I was concerned, everyone in that pack was a star.

whyconform
02-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Not sure if it was mentioned already, but those 'leaf executive' slabbed cards, to my knowledge, are NOT from Boxes/Pack pulls. If you have a JSA or PSA certified item, you can sent it to Leaf for like $40 and they make it into a card and slab it. If your player is the first, it's a 1/1 masterpiece.

They take advantage of the 1/1 craze, along with creating the illusion that these are pack pulled, which they are not. Pack pulled items seem to go for way more, like Historic Autographs or UD Leg Cuts.

When I was in the hunt for a Ruth auto, I was watching one particular auto that sold for $2700 w/ TPA. A month later, it was a leaf masterpiece and at auction went for $4300ish.

shelly
02-25-2013, 09:12 AM
From what I get out of what you just wrote, you would think it foolish to buy that item. If I am wrong please tell me.;)

whyconform
02-25-2013, 09:22 AM
To me, it's worth whatever a Ruth/Gehrig signed cut/album page is worth, as if it was a loose item with a PSA/DNA or JSA Slab or LOA. It is not worth the kind of money being thrown around for Pack based inserts, like UD Leg cuts, etc.....

shelly
02-25-2013, 09:41 AM
+1

whyconform
02-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Here's the link to make these 'custom' cards:

http://www.leaftradingcards.com/executive_cuts.php

Runscott
02-25-2013, 09:55 AM
So, does the erased signature at the bottom detract from the value? Perhaps that 'Leaf' framing was done to mask that part?

GrayGhost
02-25-2013, 09:56 AM
To me, it's worth whatever a Ruth/Gehrig signed cut/album page is worth, as if it was a loose item with a PSA/DNA or JSA Slab or LOA. It is not worth the kind of money being thrown around for Pack based inserts, like UD Leg cuts, etc.....

What ..Upper deck is making cards of pieces:p of someone's leg?

chaddurbin
02-25-2013, 10:40 AM

that's very smart of leaf to take advantage of the 1/1 crazy and generate some income. it's minimal work as those generic cut-outs look to be butt-ugly and don't even have a photo of the player. not gonna comment on why anyone would pay 1.5x-2x after the cut goes through that process.

whyconform
02-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Yep....and people ARE trying to take advantage. Just ebay 'leaf executive' and you'll see a ton of cheap 10-30 dollar autos listed for $100+.

They buy cheap, get the slab done for ~40 or whatever it is, and then try to take advantage of the 1/1 thing and ask a ton.

In most cases, I don't think it works, but for some cases, like an old album page in rough condition, it helps present the auto better. I would never cut up a perfectly good letter or photo for this tho.

shelly
02-25-2013, 11:03 AM
You are only looking at the sports side. They have every field covered. It is smart for the person who gets lucky to have one done from them. He or she would double up on there investment. I still can not understand why anyone would even think of buying one? It was like the UDA card for $85000. You could have bought all four autographs for around 10,000 and they would have been authentic on top of that.

RichardSimon
02-25-2013, 01:07 PM
To bring up old PT Barnum again:
"there is a sucker born every minute."
And if I may add to that quote,,
"there is always someone or something around to take advantage of that sucker."

sportscollector
02-25-2013, 02:55 PM
evern though i never did buy this ruth gehrig auto the signatures did look very nice and it displayed very well. no its not worth what the seller wanted witch was 14,500 then he went to 12k. I would have paid $7500 for it and then had it framed with a nice photo of Ruth and Gehrig to have in PC. those auto's were some of the most clear and vibrant ruth gehrig autos i have seen on a cut. I wonder If PSA would grade those autos a 9? then it would be worth a ton

travrosty
02-25-2013, 03:58 PM
why would grading increase the value? we all have eyes and can see the boldness of the autos. grading of the autos is as big of a scam as the custom made 1/1 cards. dont trade one scam for another.

David Atkatz
02-25-2013, 03:59 PM
why would grading increase the value? we all have eyes and can see the boldness of the autos. grading of the autos is as big of a scam as the custom made 1/1 cards. dont trade one scam for another.+1

Scott Garner
02-25-2013, 06:05 PM
why would grading increase the value? we all have eyes and can see the boldness of the autos. grading of the autos is as big of a scam as the custom made 1/1 cards. dont trade one scam for another.

I'll jump on the bandwagen on this topic. I couldn't agree more!!

RichardSimon
02-25-2013, 06:18 PM

The card companies came up with an idea to fleece the public once again by creating the cards with autographs, uniform swatches and bat shards.
Ridiculous idea IMO. And also questionable authenticity in many cases.
But this Leaf thing goes way beyond the crap that the card companies do.
Create your own 1/1 and try to sell it for double what the autographs should really sell for.
Are you kidding me????
People really fall for this crap?
Do these cards really sell on the bay?

RichardSimon
02-25-2013, 06:19 PM

+1

shelly
02-25-2013, 07:01 PM

Sportscollector is completely unknown to Shelly. The insult was totally uncalled for. (And, BTW, it's not the first time he's insulted some newbie whose only "crime" was not being as educated as Shelly seems to think he himself is.)[/QUOTE]
That quote above was about four hours ago. I said a sucker is born every minute. I should have said a scam is born every minute.

If anyone wants to take the time he gave a plus one to exactly what Travis wrote plus agreeing that spending money to get an autograph graded is stupid as well. I guess he forgot how you can hurt a newbie's feelings, his only "crime" was saying something he thought to be true.
Just so you know I dont hate or even dislike you. I just feel sorry for you. Why someone has to go out of there way to hurt someone for just for there own pleasure is a very sick man. By the way. How did you treat Scott F when I said I it is nice haveing someone looking from the outside in. You have no idea what his back ground is yet you thought he had no idea what he was talking about.
I did promise I would not do this . But four hours later the PhD is now Mr Hyde.
I found out from my other friend Richard that I no longer have to see his comments. So my dear Jekyll. dyyn ʼa gʼanẕ tʼákʻs lʼák