PDA

View Full Version : Information Request

johnmh71
02-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Just trying to pull some knowledge from some of the other members of this site. I collect signed GPCs and index cards of pre-1960 players. What methods did people usually use to track down retired players? Did they send the requests in care of the former team? Or was there information shared within the hobby? Or some other method? Due to this being before the internet and well before my time, I was just curious for my own knowledge. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.

JimStinson
02-24-2013, 08:35 AM
Jack Smalling's address list and eventually his book. Prior to that care of teams, The Hall of Fame, Detective work through the white pages etc. The close knit group of collectors would then share the information with each other as it became available.

If you go WAY back the 1933 "Whos Who In Baseball" listed HOME addresses of most of the active players and had a section in the back for "Old Timers" and listed their home addresses as well

johnmh71
02-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Good infomation. Thanks Jim.

JimStinson
02-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Glad to oblige , Even though probably all the players are now deceased the 1933 Who's Who by Speed Johnson is a great book to have for your library. Its a fairly elaborate hardcover book and has fantastic studio portraits of the players inside. I've seen the book priced between $150-$450.00 depending on condition.
And in today's "information age" you can visit the players houses (Or where the houses USED to be in 1933) using the address and GOOGLE MAPS without ever leaving your living room.

johnmh71
02-24-2013, 09:13 AM
I do have a baseball library and I'm going to check it out. Thanks again.