PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Mantle Signature REAL or FAKE?

filmmaker
02-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Just purchased this Mickey Mantle at an estate auction.
I hoping that the signature is real, since I paid a decent amount for it.
If any of you can help me out verifying the authenticity, I would greatly appreciate it. I was told to take it to PSA/DNA but I looked up the authentication fee and it is $100. Thanks for all of your help

Sean1125
02-23-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm pretty sure that's bad... :(

cottnat
02-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Wait for some others that know a lot more than I about Mantle, but my initial thought is no good (again, let Jim, David, Shelly (among others) give an opinion before getting too bummed out. I am just trying to challenge my budding Mantle expertise.

thetruthisoutthere
02-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Typical Mantle piece-of-crap forgery from the 1990's.

ATP
02-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Unfortunately that is not an authentic Mickey Mantle autograph, sorry.

Deertick
02-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Is that a faux marble plaque? ;)

cottnat
02-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Is that a faux marble plaque? ;)

Is it fairly safe to say that any 8x10 that is signed and displayed in one of those marble plaques has got a 95%+ chance of being junk? Seems like there is never a lack of high profile player autographs in similar display set ups.

JimStinson
02-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Weak effort at a Mantle from a source we probably all know.
Would make a fine Christmas Gift to a youngster you don't like.

filmmaker
02-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks for all of your help. Hopefully I may be able to return it. If not, i can eat it since I didnt pay too too much. Thanks again

Sean1125
02-24-2013, 03:36 AM
Thanks for all of your help. Hopefully I may be able to return it. If not, i can eat it since I didnt pay too too much. Thanks again

If they don't let you return it let them know you are reporting them to the local authorities for selling fake memorabilia, the last thing any auction house wants is a fraud investigation.

Plinvestments
02-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Is it fairly safe to say that any 8x10 that is signed and displayed in one of those marble plaques has got a 95%+ chance of being junk? Seems like there is never a lack of high profile player autographs in similar display set ups.

The only exception are the ones Stack of Plaques sold.

JimStinson
02-24-2013, 08:53 AM

In the begining of your post you state "I Paid a decent amount for it" and then later you state the above, Whats up with that or did I read it wrong ?

If an autograph is not real $1.00 is "paying too much"

RichardSimon
02-24-2013, 09:03 AM
In the begining of your post you state "I Paid a decent amount for it" and then later you state the above, Whats up with that or did I read it wrong ?

If an autograph is not real $1.00 is "paying too much"

You did not read it wrong as far as I can see.
And as far as your comment about how we know where it is coming from, if you look closely at it you can actually see the sand from the beaches and a sunburn on the photo :D:D

johnmh71
02-24-2013, 09:07 AM
I learned the hard way that estate sales are a tool for selling fake items. The person that was running the sale probably bought that item on Coaches Corner and then figured they would flip it to an unsuspecting buyer at the estate sale. The intent is that buyers at estate sales figure estate sale = old items = vintage sports items = must be real. Your desire to get a deal works against you.

My advice would be to contact the person running the estate sale immediately to return the item due to having questions about the authenticity.

Deertick
02-24-2013, 09:35 AM

100% in my neck of the woods. :( I try to evaluate each signature regardless of COA, presentation, etc., but it is nearly impossible to do.

In order to save my time, I now automatically ignore:
1) 5 x 7's
2) most of these marbled monstrosities
3) COA's from the infamous
4) an ever-growing number of images / combos.

The exception being when I feel up to proving to the owner / auctioneer that they are forgeries.

RichardSimon
02-24-2013, 09:44 AM
I learned the hard way that estate sales are a tool for selling fake items. The person that was running the sale probably bought that item on Coaches Corner and then figured they would flip it to an unsuspecting buyer at the estate sale. The intent is that buyers at estate sales figure estate sale = old items = vintage sports items = must be real. Your desire to get a deal works against you.

My advice would be to contact the person running the estate sale immediately to return the item due to having questions about the authenticity.

That probably did NOT come from CC.
You got to go south to the Sunshine State for that one.
These photos get on a plane and fly all over the country now.

JimStinson
02-24-2013, 09:56 AM
I am no expert on "ESTATE SALES" but as I recall the words "ALL SALES FINAL" will be displayed somewhere, probably in bold capital letters which makes them the ideal "outsourcing outlet" for weasels that like to pee in the autograph collecting pond.
Typically its a "rite of passage" for new collectors to get burned for the first time at "estate sales"