PDA

View Full Version : buying a Koufax for a friend and want to make sure it is a good one.

toyman55
02-22-2013, 12:15 PM
I am trying to buy a sandy Koufax ball for a friend and I want to make sure it is real so I would like some help.

The first picture of Koufax #1 is psa authenticated
#2 is an upper deck authenticated
#3 has no authentication and is priced right.

Thanks is advance for the help. I think all 3 are good.

shelly
02-22-2013, 12:21 PM
If you want to be 100 percent sure I would by the UDA ball. Funny it looks like ones I have sold. I always shrink wrap my baseballs. I think the third one is fine but I don't like red ink on a ball. The psa ball is what it is. I have no idea why they actually sell on ebay for more than a UDA.

GrayGhost
02-22-2013, 12:39 PM
They all look good IMO, but agree w Shelley. Red Ink looks awful. UDA or PSA one.

Scott Garner
02-22-2013, 02:20 PM
They all look good IMO, but agree w Shelley. Red Ink looks awful. UDA or PSA one.

Plus red ink fades like a son of a gun. :o
Don't even conder the red sharpie Koufax ball, FWIW.

HOF Auto Rookies
02-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Very nice ones, pass on the red ink unless you can flip it. That's gunna bleed like a mother

shelly
02-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Just saw the red one on Ebay it is on a Bobbie Brown ball. That thing was signed a long time ago. I wonder why it did not bleed?:confused:

Scott Garner
02-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Just saw the red one on Ebay it is on a Bobbie Brown ball. That thing was signed a long time ago. I wonder why it did not bleed?:confused:

Luck of the draw? :rolleyes:
I've never been that lucky. I have autographs signed in red that didn't work out too well on a ball. I stopped that nonsense a long time ago...

shelly
02-22-2013, 06:07 PM
I was a surprised as you where.:)

Tuna82
02-22-2013, 06:16 PM
If you want to be 100 percent sure I would by the UDA ball. The psa ball is what it is. I have no idea why they actually sell on ebay for more than a UDA.

x1000

shelly
02-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Shale, as ugly as it is I do not think you will see anything happen to the red ball. So, if it is a matter of money go for it. It has been red for more than twenty years now and it is authentic.:)

toyman55
02-24-2013, 06:12 AM
One last ball I found this weekend. Is this one good to?

Sean1125
02-24-2013, 06:30 AM
I know this is kind of 'far out' in terms of a post but a local dealer/friend of mine has gotten 3 Koufax sweet spot balls in the past couple of days at spring training, do you want me to ask him how much he would do on one? He might be able to give you a slightly better price than elsewhere and you will know it is good. He goes with his sons so I know they are 100% good.

Mr. Zipper
02-24-2013, 06:44 AM
One last ball I found this weekend. Is this one good to?

Good or bad is secondary. Never buy an expensive autograph on a plastic China ball.

toyman55
02-24-2013, 06:51 AM
even if it is only $100.00 Steve?

Sean1125
02-24-2013, 06:58 AM
even if it is only $100.00 Steve?

It will fade to nothing eventually, so will whatever you spend on it.

Fuddjcal
02-24-2013, 08:52 AM
It will fade to nothing eventually, so will whatever you spend on it.

the "CHINA" ball is a clear cut FORGERY.

isaac2004
02-24-2013, 10:03 AM
I know this is kind of 'far out' in terms of a post but a local dealer/friend of mine has gotten 3 Koufax sweet spot balls in the past couple of days at spring training, do you want me to ask him how much he would do on one? He might be able to give you a slightly better price than elsewhere and you will know it is good. He goes with his sons so I know they are 100% good.

Would he be interested in getting an autograph for me, for a fee obviously?

HOF Auto Rookies
02-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Shale, as ugly as it is I do not think you will see anything happen to the red ball. So, if it is a matter of money go for it. It has been red for more than twenty years now and it is authentic.:)

Just because the ball is old, does not mean it was signed over 20 years ago...Could have been signed last week for all we know, unless you can tell from his signature style approximately when it was signed.

chaddurbin
02-26-2013, 10:46 AM
the spring training koufax sigs are really rushed, unless the fees is at a substantial discount i wouldn't do it. i've seen people asking $250 for koufax consignment, which is more of a ripoff than tom brady charging $600 for a sitdown.

edit: he's been mobbed by these dealers, their sons & daughters, and friends everywhere he's gone. (slight exagerration for emphasis)

shelly
02-26-2013, 10:50 AM
I said I saw it on ebay and here is why I thought the ball was more than twenty years old.
Now the person that is selling it might be a liar but I doubt that. Below is what they stated about the ball. Hope this clears up why I said what I said.

Trying to find stuff to sell on Ebay, and Looking for stuff we wanted to keep for ourselves. We went to a house in a gated community for an estate sale. The elderly parents were moving out of state and wanted to sell just about everything they had. They had great stuff. Gold records from bands and singers of all forms (the father was a record producer for a major lable in Los Angeles). Those were all too expensive for us. They asked if my son wanted to see their son's stuff. Their son was now in his 40's, and didn't want anything from his old room. My son started digging around in his closet and found some toys and other things. My son reached in and pulled out 3 baseballs. This ball signed by Sandy Koufax, a baseball signed by the three Dodger MVP's of the World Series of 1981, and another Ball signed by Nolan Ryan. They told us that the balles were signed at an event by the players when their son was a kid. He would want the dodger ball, so they sold us the other 2 balls