PDA

View Full Version : 1950's signed cards

footlong
02-20-2013, 06:26 AM
It seems to me while many players who played in the 1950's are more than glad to sign their cards, several passed away bebore the smalling address list came out in the 70's. I know some players weren't happy with fan mail being sent to their homes.What I was wondering was pre- smalling what ways were autographs obtained of retired players. Perhaps retired players working or coaching, old timers games, but what else? Thanks for any "oldtime" graphers thoughts.

JimStinson
02-20-2013, 06:57 AM
Not sure yet if I want to chime in as an "old time grapher" ....:)
But in answer to your question. The then small circle of collectors would research old time players through the white pages (geez that sounds ancient) and then share the information among each other. Some addresses were available through the Hall of Fame as well as writing in care of the players former teams. I've seen some old letters too where the collector would ask for an autograph and then ask if the player knew the whereabouts of any of their old team mates.

jschris
02-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Jim, I used to do that in the late 80s and 90s for players I couldn't find addresses on. I recall I found a couple of former Seattle Pilots that way.

I hope that doesn't make me an old timer, too! :)

JimStinson
02-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Jim, I used to do that in the late 80s and 90s for players I couldn't find addresses on. I recall I found a couple of former Seattle Pilots that way.

I hope that doesn't make me an old timer, too! :)

No your not an old timer ...:)
But in the 1980's and 1990's we had Jack Smalling's address book which made it alot easier I think he was talking about PRE Smalling if you were collecting before Smalling started publishing the addresses you ARE an old timer

footlong
02-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Of course if we were like Bill Corcoran, who would find Latino ballplayers, travel to their home country and have them sign items. I'm very grateful to Bill for this.

JimStinson
02-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Of course if we were like Bill Corcoran, who would find Latino ballplayers, travel to their home country and have them sign items. I'm very grateful to Bill for this.

American Airlines is a HUGE fan of Bill's as well...:)

kards
02-20-2013, 01:53 PM
I can remember my father and sister going to the library and getting address from the Whos Who in America books there, they had addresses in them and that is how they sent by in the late 70's.

Exhibitman
02-20-2013, 02:01 PM
I remember that when I first moved to L.A. I went through the white pages and found the address for Vince DiMaggio, which was on a street I knew a short way from my school. I never got up the courage to go over and ring the doorbell and ask to meet him though.