PDA

View Full Version : Spring training - camelback ranch - Just Got Back UPDATE

4reals
02-19-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm heading to Glendale, AZ next month with my 6 year old son to watch my boys in blue at Spring Training for the first time ever (and his).

They play at Camelback Ranch along with the White Sox.

Anyone on these boards been there a few times or live nearby and can provide tips for visiting? Not looking for info regarding the surrounding area - just tips on places within the Ranch to post up and get some nice auto's and have my son high five a couple players. We have tickets for the outfield grass area but would consider upgrading our seats if that's recommended. Thanks!

nolemmings
02-19-2013, 11:06 PM
I'm afraid I can't help you with specifics on autograph hunting, but the players are generally available, especially if you get there early. There should be no reason to upgrade your tix, as you should be able to wander freely and move seats, especially in the latter innings. I've not seen the Dodgers at the Ranch, just the White Sox, but unless they're playing the Cubs (or maybe the Angels) you should be OK. Park on the north side unless you like to walk. There are several practice fields at the facility, so you might see some players working out in small groups or individually.

BTW, you may want to check out the game on March 6th--the Dodgers are hosting the Mexican National (World Baseball Classic) team, so you can see Adrian Gonzalez and many other major leaguers play against them. Not something you will get to see often. Better get seats soon for that one though--the fans of team Mexico will be out in force.

I know you didn't ask about the surrounding area, but if you want to see a Dodger "road" game, there are a few parks not horribly far away-- the Padres & Mariners share a complex only 5 1/2 miles up the road (the 101), near several nice family restaurants and a large mall (Camelback Ranch cannot say that). Also, if you like hockey, the Kings are in town to get spanked by the Coyotes on the 12th-- Jobing.com arena is only about 2 1/2 miles up that same 101 freeway, and is also near some nice restaurants.

Hope you and your son have a great time.

Griffins
02-19-2013, 11:11 PM
I went last year and am going back again this spring- it's the most relaxing, laid back vacation I've taken. No one seems to have any sense of urgency.
Last year almost every game I saw had players very accessible before the game, and during the game I often saw Fergie Jenkins, Gaylord Perry, Bert Campaneris, George Foster, and Rollie Fingers, among others, roaming around, happy to chat. I don't think you'll have any problem getting access to players, especially if you're there early.
When my son was younger I found if he looked like he was really into baseball the players would take a bit more notice- a cap and team tshirt go a long way.
Best of luck, and enjoy your trip.

4reals
02-20-2013, 01:38 PM
the Kings are in town to get spanked by the Coyotes on the 12th

We'll be there from the 14th-17th so unfortunately we'll miss the Kings.

Thanks for the parking tip - that helps a lot!

Looks like we'll be seeing the Dodgers/Rangers, the Dodgers/Royals, and the Dodgers/Brewers.

Auto's on our short list include:

Darvish, Profar, McGwire, Mattingly, and Kemp.

Was really hoping for a Koufax since he's spending more time with the Dodgers but he's there now and will only be there for another week or so.

Sean1125
02-21-2013, 12:54 PM
We'll be there from the 14th-17th so unfortunately we'll miss the Kings.

Thanks for the parking tip - that helps a lot!

Looks like we'll be seeing the Dodgers/Rangers, the Dodgers/Royals, and the Dodgers/Brewers.

Auto's on our short list include:

Darvish, Profar, McGwire, Mattingly, and Kemp.

Was really hoping for a Koufax since he's spending more time with the Dodgers but he's there now and will only be there for another week or so.

Buddy of mine and his son got Koufax, multiple mattingly's and a few maury wills, he said he only signed about 30 or 40 autos before walking. I believe he will be that full week you mentioned though so if you are there daily it might increase the odds.

4reals
02-25-2013, 02:01 AM
Right on, looking forward to it!

4reals
03-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Had a great weekend, saw three games fri-sun, camelback ranch fri, surprise stadium (rangers) sat vs. dodgers, and sun. camelback ranch again for the green uni's on st. patty's day.

It didn't take long to get used to the surroundings, I took a bunch of cards to get autographed but quickly found that players don't like to sign flats...balls are the way to go. Learning this, my 6 year old and I got a couple practice balls and he turned up his charm and got almost two balls completely signed, 26 in all.
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/joeoneone/cards%20blog/DSC_0010_zpsa87f8316.jpg

He got, coaches: Mattingly, McGwire, Mota, Lopes, Yeager, Wallach, Honeycutt, and Lasorda

Players: Yasiel Puig, Ethier (his favorite by far), Billingsley, Skip Schumacher, Elian Herrera, Justin Sellers, Brian Barden, Luis Cruz, Stephen Fife, Tim Federowicz (backup catcher), Tony Gwynn Jr., Nick Punto, Dee Gordon, Matt Wallach (Tim Wallach's son, minor leaguer), and JP Howell.

Other: Steve Lyons (broadcaster)

Just missed: Kershaw, Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez, Yu Darvish

Nice Guy Award: Puig, easily signed the most and gave kids high fives in between innings

Disappointed In Award: Mark Ellis and AJ Ellis, didn't sign at all in three days - I expected more out of these guys

Stinker Award: Zack Greinke - not even sure he knew where he was. He just mad-dogged all the fans looking angry, possibly too drugged to comprehend his surroundings.

Two things I learned: (1) Steve Yeager is a lady's man...he passed up kids to pose for pics with cougars. I gave my wife his rookie card and that was the only card I got signed all weekend, because my wife gave it to him, lol.
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/joeoneone/cards%20blog/YeagerRookieAuto_zps33ccadd5.jpeg

(2) Lasorda should not be out of the house. He was being propped up like Bernie from Weekend at Bernie's. The poor man did not look good. He signed for about 100 people waiting in line and looked like he could go at any minute. He signed my son's ball and then smudged the heck out of it handing it back, oh well.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/joeoneone/cards%20blog/dsc_2167_zps81194a15.jpg

All in all it was a great time, thanks for the tips you all had (especially the North parking lot tip) and will def be an annual tradition for my fam! :D

nolemmings
03-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Glad it went well for all of you. Now that you've made the trip, I hope that there is a comfort level in moving around the Valley so that you venture to the various other parks for Dodger games too. There are a few more on the West side that are really not that far away.

Your description of Greinke is consistent with nearly every time I have seen him, only once in person but often on TV. I really think the guy has some issues and might barely be in balance. I'm surprised to learn Mark Ellis was so standoffish (don't know much about AJ)--you were right to expect more from that guy.