PDA

View Full Version : Any more T206 topics for today?

bcbgcbrcb
02-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Just wondering?

Leon
02-16-2013, 07:41 PM

cfc1909
02-16-2013, 07:42 PM
at least there is one thread talking about Beckett grading paper cut outs:D

bcbgcbrcb
02-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I've kept up with that one since it started.

HRBAKER
02-16-2013, 07:48 PM
At least when I see things like: OT: Beer and T206s
I know I have a half a reason to read it.

Abravefan11
02-16-2013, 08:05 PM
Topic: With the exception of "because it's popular", why do you hate the T206 set? :D

DerekMichael
02-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Topic: With the exception of "because it's popular", why do you hate the T206 set? :D

They are just too damn small! ;)

teetwoohsix
02-16-2013, 11:07 PM
:D

freakhappy
02-17-2013, 01:01 AM
I knew she couldn't be trusted!!!:eek:

itjclarke
02-17-2013, 01:16 AM
:D

I think she was the one behind prohibition also

bcbgcbrcb
02-17-2013, 07:07 AM
I have nothing against the little pieces of cardboard known as T206's. While some of the topics of discussion are quite informative, to me, many topics are real stretches just to present anything possible and relate it to T206's. If Leon started doing that with type cards, Ryan started doing that with Negro League cards, if I started doing that with HOF rookie cards, etc., the board would get quite cumbersome, wouldn't it?

rhettyeakley
02-17-2013, 08:23 AM

I will preface this with saying I have nothing personal against the T206 set nor the people that collect them, to each their own and there is no wrong way to collect cards...

That being said last night when Phil started this thread 6 of the first 10 threads were directly related to T206 cards. We get that it is a popular set and all but it is literally only one set out of hundreds and hundreds that were made but it literally is all people talk about around here anymore. I get the draw of the set and and when I was first introduced to vintage cards in the mid 1980's I too collected them and 1933 Goudeys as that is almost the only cards you could find at a given show.

Again, I understand they are popular and I'm probably in the minority but when threads that have to do with other sets or new discoveries that are admittedly less popular get buried in less than a day by threads like "what T206 featuring Boston Nat'ls with green backgrounds do you prefer while drinking a beer on Sunday nights during the winter solstice?" :D

To some it is like being on a forum to discuss restaurants and all anyone wanted to talk about is the most common of all restaurants (say McDonald's or something), again don't get me wrong I enjoy me some Sausage Egg McMuffins every once in a while but there are other sets, err, restaurants out there.

Please, feel free to disregard this and make more T206 threads as I like the fact that we have traffic on this site and if the traffic is due only to the overwhelming number of T206ers congregating then I'll take it. ;)

teetwoohsix
02-17-2013, 08:26 AM
I think she was the one behind prohibition also

Well, not really behind it but a popular face for the cause & a hardcore prohibition advocate ; her name is Carry Nation, she was basically a one woman army at war with the "Demon Rum". She staged a violent campaign against the saloons that were flouting the Kansas Prohibition law in 1900.

She then traveled to the "wet states" where drinking was still legal and unleashed her fury :D upon those poor drinkers. Tearing up saloons with a hatchet. This was before the 18th amendment that went into effect on July 16th, 1920 (nationwide prohibition). I believe she passed away in 1911 (don't hold me to that, I may have to fact check her death).

She was once married to an alcoholic~ this may have had something to do with her anti-alcohol rage (along with being extremely religious) but a funny side note: four years after her death, the revenuers turned up a tremendous moonshine layout on her father's old farm in Missouri :)

I just like the picture, I can imagine her going into a saloon and tearing it up, and everyone just moving out of the way of the crazy lady with the hatchet :p:D

Mike- lol :D

Sincerely, Clayton

teetwoohsix
02-17-2013, 08:40 AM
I will preface this with saying I have nothing personal against the T206 set nor the people that collect them, to each their own and there is no wrong way to collect cards...

That being said last night when Phil started this thread 6 of the first 10 threads were directly related to T206 cards. We get that it is a popular set and all but it is literally only one set out of hundreds and hundreds that were made but it literally is all people talk about around here anymore. I get the draw of the set and and when I was first introduced to vintage cards in the mid 1980's I too collected them and 1933 Goudeys as that is almost the only cards you could find at a given show.

Again, I understand they are popular and I'm probably in the minority but when threads that have to do with other sets or new discoveries that are admittedly less popular get buried in less than a day by threads like "what T206 featuring Boston Nat'ls with green backgrounds do you prefer while drinking a beer on Sunday nights during the winter solstice?" :D

To some it is like being on a forum to discuss restaurants and all anyone wanted to talk about is the most common of all restaurants (say McDonald's or something), again don't get me wrong I enjoy me some Sausage Egg McMuffins every once in a while but there are other sets, err, restaurants out there.

Please, feel free to disregard this and make more T206 threads as I like the fact that we have traffic on this site and if the traffic is due only to the overwhelming number of T206ers congregating then I'll take it. ;)

Great post !!

Just for the record, I love reading threads about other types of cards. It is usually always a learning experience, and I always enjoy that. Speaking for myself though, it's hard to contribute to the conversation when you aren't that familiar with the issue- and, I suspect that may be the case with many collectors. So, it may seem like there's less interest, but, it may be that people (like me) will just be learning about the type of card the thread is about~ but can't contribute much to the thread *other than maybe ask a question or make a comment. I do spend just about all of my research time devoted to T206's (and American history), and mostly learn about other types of cards from threads here on Net54.

Sincerely, Clayton

Leon
02-17-2013, 08:53 AM
I too understand Phil's bit of frustration but also understand the other points of view too, In that T206 is the dominant pre-war set and as such has the most collectors, threads, posts etc....I have a few T206s but don't get into those conversations that much because, quite honestly, they are mostly too common for my tastes. So our next discussion will revolve around these...(the thread won't have many posts, unfortunately)

http://luckeycards.com/pt231.jpg

wolf441
02-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Well, not really behind it but a popular face for the cause & a hardcore prohibition advocate ; her name is Carry Nation, she was basically a one woman army at war with the "Demon Rum". She staged a violent campaign against the saloons that were flouting the Kansas Prohibition law in 1900.

She then traveled to the "wet states" where drinking was still legal and unleashed her fury :D upon those poor drinkers. Tearing up saloons with a hatchet. This was before the 18th amendment that went into effect on July 16th, 1920 (nationwide prohibition). I believe she passed away in 1911 (don't hold me to that, I may have to fact check her death).

She was once married to an alcoholic~ this may have had something to do with her anti-alcohol rage (along with being extremely religious) but a funny side note: four years after her death, the revenuers turned up a tremendous moonshine layout on her father's old farm in Missouri :)

I just like the picture, I can imagine her going into a saloon and tearing it up, and everyone just moving out of the way of the crazy lady with the hatchet :p:D

Sincerely, Clayton

Great post Clayton,

And I might add that while reading it, I'm enjoying a nice pint of Guinness!! :D

Abravefan11
02-17-2013, 01:26 PM

Rhett-That's a great analogy. Even though I'm biased, I definitely understand the feelings of other collectors on this issue. I have other sets that interest me and have started threads about them. Unfortunately they don't have the following that T206's do, so without much discussion they fall down the list as T206 threads keep getting bumped.

And to answer your question, nothing goes better with my Sunday night beer during the winter solstice than Beals Becker.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-INDAILMFnys/TF9SxvA8sDI/AAAAAAAAEaU/LdXVvCg251s/s576/T206%2520Beals%2520Becker%2520BL%2520350.jpg

teetwoohsix
02-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Great post Clayton,

And I might add that while reading it, I'm enjoying a nice pint of Guinness!! :D

:) Thanks.

Prohibition never works, and history proves it. I really enjoy reading history from the 1920's, it was a very interesting time in the U.S.A.....

Sincerely, Clayton

Runscott
02-17-2013, 01:51 PM

Modern Topps would be McDonalds. Given that this is a vintage card discussion forum, T206s are probably more like a high-quality but affordable chain (these days, such a thing might not exist). In your imaginary restaurant discussion forum you'd have elitists who complained when someone posted a photo of a nice meal they had at Outback. Since they can afford the better Ruths Chris, they'd just as soon Outback folded. You'd have others who would welcome the Outback group and try to get them to expand their palate as they could afford to. The mainstream stuff keeps forums alive - they love your stuff, so you should try to tolerate theirs.

Most Outbacks suck these days, but I couldn't think of a better example. I've had a few miscuts at Outback, and even some steaks where the color was off, so perhaps it's not a bad example.

Scott <=== doesn't collect E107's or eat at Ruths Chris

teetwoohsix
02-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Modern Topps would be McDonalds. Given that this is a vintage card discussion forum, T206s are probably more like a high-quality but affordable chain (these days, such a thing might not exist). In your imaginary restaurant discussion forum you'd have elitists who complained when someone posted a photo of a nice meal they had at Outback. Since they can afford the better Ruths Chris, they'd just as soon Outback folded. You'd have others who would welcome the Outback group and try to get them to expand their palate as they could afford to. The mainstream stuff keeps forums alive - they love your stuff, so you should try to tolerate theirs.

Most Outbacks suck these days, but I couldn't think of a better example. I've had a few miscuts at Outback, and even some steaks where the color was off, so perhaps it's not a bad example.

:D This was good.... you could also go to Outback and throw a slab of butter on top of your steak, close your eyes, and pretend you have a Ruths Chris steak :p

Sincerely, Clayton

Runscott
02-17-2013, 02:20 PM
:D This was good.... you could also go to Outback and throw a slab of butter on top of your steak, close your eyes, and pretend you have a Ruths Chris steak :p

Sincerely, Clayton

The trimmed ones are good, but you don't want to find stamping on the back.

Runscott
02-17-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm sure Phil won't mind us hi-jacking his T206 thread, so...

Please post your favorite T206 jokes:

Q: What's the difference between a McDonald's burger and a T206
A: If you had to, you could eat a T206

frankbmd
02-17-2013, 02:43 PM
If T206s were reclassified as T602s, who would be the first Board member to complain about all the T602 threads?

Supply your own answer or look in the mirror.:D

Matthew H
02-17-2013, 05:11 PM

Scott, I feel the elitist Comment isn't fair. There are plenty of sets that are cheaper to collect then t206, there simply isn't much demand. T206 is widely collected because its popular. Pop music might have made a better analogy. It would be like a thread about John Coltrane getting buried by threads about Katy Perry's hair or Justin Biebers new girlfriend.

EvilKing00
02-17-2013, 05:56 PM
i would love to see more posts about the T205's, Thats my set of choice:D

Runscott
02-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Scott, I feel the elitist Comment isn't fair. There are plenty of sets that are cheaper to collect then t206, there simply isn't much demand. T206 is widely collected because its popular. Pop music might have made a better analogy. It would be like a thread about John Coltrane getting buried by threads about Katy Perry's hair or Justin Biebers new girlfriend.

Okay, but comparing a T206 to a McDonald's burger or Justin Bieber is belittling. If the other sets were more accessible (and popular) they would get more public discussion. But they aren't, so they don't.

I run into the same thing all the time with my own special hobby interests, and it's very frustrating. But I can't make everyone else have the same interests that I do, and demanding equal discussion time with things that are much more popular than my interests, is ridiculous.

Matthew H
02-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Okay, but comparing a T206 to a McDonald's burger or Justin Bieber is belittling. If the other sets were more accessible (and popular) they would get more public discussion. But they aren't, so they don't.

I run into the same thing all the time with my own special hobby interests, and it's very frustrating. But I can't make everyone else have the same interests that I do, and demanding equal discussion time with things that are much more popular than my interests, is ridiculous.

Music was a decent analogy, but you're right, I didn't need to word it like an a--hole. I'm sure most people don't post about the esoteric sets they collect because the last thing they need is a new collector in the bidding pool... But some people here share incredible research and only a few even acknowledge with a thank you, and the thread dies; yet, "what's your favorite tree in the background of a t206?" becomes a three day discussion.

I shouldn't even be posting about this, I like to read all of the threads here. I look at all the t206 threads. If there was some kind of limit to them there wouldn't be very much going on here.

I just think it would be nice if some other sets/threads got respect too.

-

rhettyeakley
02-17-2013, 07:01 PM

I wasn't trying to belittle anyone, just having a little good natured fun. The "Boston Nat'l" addition was directly aimed at Tim, he got my point and didn't try to read too far into anything.

I get it T206 are popular, I don't understand it completely and I don't choose to collect that way but I would be okay with it if someone took a good natured swipe at me for collecting the oft-maligned 1920's black and white sets. I didn't expect people would feel belittled because I chose the wrong restaurant reference... Getting a little sensitive aren't we?

buymycards
02-17-2013, 07:47 PM
Justin Bieber has a new girlfriend? Damn, I must be out of the loop! We should have a Justin Bieber sticky thread that is always at the top so we can keep up with his antics.

No, I don't have Bieber fever.

freakhappy
02-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Justin Bieber has a new girlfriend? Damn, I must be out of the loop! We should have a Justin Bieber sticky thread that is always at the top so we can keep up with his antics.

No, I don't have Bieber fever.

Good one, Rick! :eek::D

Runscott
02-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Getting a little sensitive aren't we?

No, but it sounds like else might be.

I collect a lot more than T206's, as you know, since you and I collect a lot of the same stuff. If I were to say that old baseball photos are to Happy Meals as baseball cards are to steak dinners, I'm guessing the walls wouldn't shake with your laughter.

I'm also fairly certain that if the T206 set was banned from this forum altogether, T206 collectors could start another forum dedicated exclusively to that set (maybe even abscond with the T205's as well), and you'd notice a huge drop in traffic here. It's great to be an elitist, but your audience is limited.

rhettyeakley
02-17-2013, 11:39 PM
I doubt you know me as well as you think. You are a good guy and I'm not interested in arguing so I'll leave it there. I'm sorry to anyone upset about anything I have written.

Runscott
02-18-2013, 12:11 AM
I doubt you know me as well as you think. You are a good guy and I'm not interested in arguing so I'll leave it there. I'm sorry to anyone upset about anything I have written.

Rhys, with a few exceptions, all I know about anyone on the internet is what they post. We're all just extras in everyone else's plays, but most don't get that.

itjclarke
02-18-2013, 01:07 AM

Sincerely, Clayton

So awesome.. I thought I'd seen her pic before but didn't know all that. Things were just more colorful back then. I wish she were alive today so we could sic her on the Mexican drug cartels and reality TV stars. Nation and hatchet v Kardiashians or the Atlanta house wives.

teetwoohsix
02-18-2013, 01:52 AM
So awesome.. I thought I'd seen her pic before but didn't know all that. Things were just more colorful back then. I wish she were alive today so we could sic her on the Mexican drug cartels and reality TV stars. Nation and hatchet v Kardiashians or the Atlanta house wives.

:D She may give the cartels a good beating :p

I thought of starting an interactive thread in the watercooler section devoted to American History from the 1920's, it was a fascinating time in our country. There were quite a few interesting characters back in those days :)

Sincerely, Clayton

Exhibitman
02-18-2013, 02:44 PM
I understand what Phil was getting at. I have a pretty strong T206 collection; been collecting T206 HOFers since I was a kid. They are great cards, aesthetically speaking, and I've never managed to bring myself to liquidate them even when prices were soaring [except for the freaks; had to get in on that action while I could]. That said, I am pretty bored with the seemingly endless discussions of the set. I rarely read any of the T206 threads and usually then it is only to find out if my collection has one of the 'new' variations, factory designations, misprints, etc., that might be noteworthy. I realize that T206 is sort of the lowest common denominator for prewar collectors, so it will always have a place at the discussion table, but the board does sometimes read like a T206 web site. Just me $0.02 worth and probably overpriced at that.

brianp-beme
02-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Rhys, with a few exceptions, all I know about anyone on the internet is what they post. We're all just extras in everyone else's plays, but most don't get that.

Please note that it is Rhett that you have been sparring with. Rhys is Rhett's evil collecting twin.

Brioctupus (Brian's evil sea creature twin)

rhettyeakley
02-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Please note that it is Rhett that you have been sparring with. Rhys is Rhett's evil collecting twin.

Brioctupus (Brian's evil sea creature twin)

Brian, contrary to what most think we are not twins, although the jury is still out on whether he is evil! :) we get mistaken for each other so often that it doesn't even register with me anymore.

Rhys is a little over a year older and has a bit less hair on his head than I do. :D

Rob D.
02-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Brian, contrary to what most think we are not twins, although the jury is still out on whether he is evil! :) we get mistaken for each other so often that it doesn't even register with me anymore.

Rhys is a little over a year older and has a bit less hair on his head than I do. :D

More important, what's his take on McDonald's?

rhettyeakley
02-18-2013, 04:01 PM
As bland as 1987 Topps, T206, and Justin Beiber! ;)

Seiklis
02-18-2013, 04:05 PM
The most important question has not yet been answered....

When we leave the room, do the T206s plot to kill us?

ullmandds
02-18-2013, 04:08 PM
no...I don't think so...that'd be the cats!

CW
02-18-2013, 05:28 PM
yet, "what's your favorite tree in the background of a t206?" becomes a three day discussion.

:D I'm sorry, but after reading your tongue-in-cheek comment I couldn't help but think of this Obak I was watching last night (Obaks have way better trees in the background than T206s, btw ;) )...

bigfish
02-18-2013, 05:34 PM
This post provokes more t206 posts. On that note, a t206 Wagner seems to be for sale on the BST