PDA

View Full Version : T206 super set

g_vezina_c55
02-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Anyone here work seriously on the project of a t206 set with all possible back ? A super monster set :)
If anyone work on it how is your progression ?

Craig M
02-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Nelson,

I'm committed to working on the Super Set. I just started three weeks ago with a group that I had from the late 1980's- early 90's. I don't know what made me look in my briefcase three weeks ago but it started the T206 juices flowing again. My progress is coming along nicely.

If anyone has beater's, I am now paying $9 each.

Craig

g_vezina_c55
02-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Nelson,

I'm committed to working on the Super Set. I just started three weeks ago with a group that I had from the late 1980's- early 90's. I don't know what made me look in my briefcase three weeks ago but it started the T206 juices flowing again. My progress is coming along nicely.

If anyone has beater's, I am now paying $9 each.

Craig

3 week , 219 cards wow !

g_vezina_c55
02-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Any know colector ever finish a complete super set ?

Abravefan11
02-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Any know colector ever finish a complete super set ?

Anything is possible, but I don't think anyone has. There are some really amazing collections in the hobby, several of them having thousands of front back combos.

Rob D.
02-16-2013, 05:06 PM
There probably is a collector somewhere who has owned every front-back combination during his life but continually sold some to buy other T206s.

Some folks would say that counts.

cfc1909
02-16-2013, 06:15 PM
anything is possible but I really doubt we will ever see a complete superset.

Just think, every brown Old mill, every brown Lenox, every BL 460, every Drum-Uzit-red Hindu-BL 350, Carolina and so on. Not to mention 3 Wags Piedmont and Sweet Cap 25 and 30.

during this thread I have received 3 emails from superset collectors updating their progress.

g_vezina_c55
02-16-2013, 06:58 PM
anything is possible but I really doubt we will ever see a complete superset.

Just think, every brown Old mill, every brown Lenox, every BL 460, every Drum-Uzit-red Hindu-BL 350, Carolina and so on. Not to mention 3 Wags Piedmont and Sweet Cap 25 and 30.

during this thread I have received 3 emails from superset collectors updating their progress.

You forget to mention many plank :) ..

atx840
02-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Ill say it...It's impossible....but definitely something one could get close on.

Ronnie73
02-16-2013, 09:52 PM
I agree with Jim and Tim that it is possible or anythings possible but Chris is right until someone actually does it. Until the checklists have no more "possible but unconfirmed" cards, will it actually be possible and even then, there may be some unknown scrap type cards like the Carl Lundgren Cubs Piedmont 350. Thats what makes this set incredible. Even when you think your done, your not. Right now i'm at 1338/5865. The 5865 number is the total if you add up all the possible confirmed and unconfirmed cards from the T206Resource website. I have over time seen other numbers for a complete set and I guess it just depends on what list you reference. That would be a good topic, how many do you think are in a complete master monster set and why?

Here's some other info from my set so far. Most of the cards are raw but would grade anywhere between a 2 and 4. Close to 1200 of the cards are Piedmont, Sweet Caporal, Polar Bear, and Sovereign. The rest are of the less common backs. I'm around 400 different cards if collecting the basic front set. I've only bought one card since the end of November 2012 and don't know why. Maybe it was the holidays or the possibility of the end of the world or maybe life has just been too busy or that my health hasen't been great lately. All I do know is I have around 4527 cards to go. If anyone was wondering what that one card was that I bought, it was a George Mullin Throwing with harder to find Piedmont 350 back.

Abravefan11
02-16-2013, 10:14 PM
That would be a good topic, how many do you think are in a complete master monster set and why?

Ron-I've previously estimated a master set to be between 5400-5500. I should reevaluate this as I haven't done so recently. I can tell you with our most recent confirmation today, we're at 5,154 confirmed.

teetwoohsix
02-16-2013, 10:36 PM
I agree with Jim and Tim that it is possible or anythings possible but Chris is right until someone actually does it. Until the checklists have no more "possible but unconfirmed" cards, will it actually be possible and even then, there may be some unknown scrap type cards like the Carl Lundgren Cubs Piedmont 350. Thats what makes this set incredible. Even when you think your done, your not. Right now i'm at 1338/5865. The 5865 number is the total if you add up all the possible confirmed and unconfirmed cards from the T206Resource website. I have over time seen other numbers for a complete set and I guess it just depends on what list you reference. That would be a good topic, how many do you think are in a complete master monster set and why?

Here's some other info from my set so far. Most of the cards are raw but would grade anywhere between a 2 and 4. Close to 1200 of the cards are Piedmont, Sweet Caporal, Polar Bear, and Sovereign. The rest are of the less common backs. I'm around 400 different cards if collecting the basic front set. I've only bought one card since the end of November 2012 and don't know why. Maybe it was the holidays or the possibility of the end of the world or maybe life has just been too busy or that my health hasen't been great lately. All I do know is I have around 4527 cards to go. If anyone was wondering what that one card was that I bought, it was a George Mullin Throwing with harder to find Piedmont 350 back.

Hi Ron-

Just wanted to say congrats on what you've already accomplished- that's an amazing amount of T206's !!! Good luck on the remaining 4,527 :D.

I was wondering if you had a strategy going about this. I am really only going for a front set as well (all though I want a nice blend of backs, I'm more focused on the fronts), but I am not going for a super set. 518 would be cool with me. I am not using any type of strategy~ just picking up one's I know I don't have. I am trying to be somewhat consistent on on the grade range (VG to VG-EX), I'll take lower grade cards that present well for the grade.

I was also wondering if there were any cards during your quest that were notably harder to find than others?

Thanks, and hope you are feeling better.

Sincerely, Clayton

Ronnie73
02-16-2013, 11:38 PM
Thanks Clayton, I don't really have a strategy except maybe when there are a few cards I want but short on cash. I would then view all the population reports and see what card shows the least amount total. I know those numbers are usually off and you never know how many have not been graded but it does help in the decision making because you know there is a higher chance of the other cards coming around again to purchase. As far as harder cards to find, I don't really search for certain cards to complete the basic set only because I haven't made completing the basic set a goal. I believe it will become complete without much thought over time (up to 518). The same for certain player runs. I don't have any complete player back runs or any complete back subsets. I figure if i'm going after all the combinations, at some point if I ever finished, all set configurations would be complete at that time. Sometimes I get hooked on a certain card back or player for a month or two but then get side tracked into the rest of the set. It usually happens when I see a good T206 deal thats not related to my current T206 interest. For the 100 or so cards that are missing to actually complete my basic set, I would say i'm missing most Southern Leagues, a little more than half of the HOF's, a few of the variations, and a handful of commons. I wouldn't call any of the ones i'm missing hard to find. I believe it has more to do with cost and if it was a good deal or not.

Hi Ron-

Just wanted to say congrats on what you've already accomplished- that's an amazing amount of T206's !!! Good luck on the remaining 4,527 :D.

I was wondering if you had a strategy going about this. I am really only going for a front set as well (all though I want a nice blend of backs, I'm more focused on the fronts), but I am not going for a super set. 518 would be cool with me. I am not using any type of strategy~ just picking up one's I know I don't have. I am trying to be somewhat consistent on on the grade range (VG to VG-EX), I'll take lower grade cards that present well for the grade.

I was also wondering if there were any cards during your quest that were notably harder to find than others?

Thanks, and hope you are feeling better.

Sincerely, Clayton

g_vezina_c55
02-17-2013, 06:46 AM
Wow run amazing quantity of t206..congrat..you work on it since ?

teetwoohsix
02-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks Clayton, I don't really have a strategy except maybe when there are a few cards I want but short on cash. I would then view all the population reports and see what card shows the least amount total. I know those numbers are usually off and you never know how many have not been graded but it does help in the decision making because you know there is a higher chance of the other cards coming around again to purchase. As far as harder cards to find, I don't really search for certain cards to complete the basic set only because I haven't made completing the basic set a goal. I believe it will become complete without much thought over time (up to 518). The same for certain player runs. I don't have any complete player back runs or any complete back subsets. I figure if i'm going after all the combinations, at some point if I ever finished, all set configurations would be complete at that time. Sometimes I get hooked on a certain card back or player for a month or two but then get side tracked into the rest of the set. It usually happens when I see a good T206 deal thats not related to my current T206 interest. For the 100 or so cards that are missing to actually complete my basic set, I would say i'm missing most Southern Leagues, a little more than half of the HOF's, a few of the variations, and a handful of commons. I wouldn't call any of the ones i'm missing hard to find. I believe it has more to do with cost and if it was a good deal or not.

Awesome- thanks. You are taking on a huge challenge, I wish you the best of luck !! Being 100 or so cards away from the basic set (say 518) is a great accomplishment in itself. It's funny because for some reason I've decided awhile back not to focus on the S/L'ers until I either pass the halfway mark or, towards the end.

Thanks for the reply and keep up the great work !!

Sincerely, Clayton

Ronnie73
02-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Hi Nelson, I had 130 common cards that I picked up somewhere in the late 80's or early 90's. I forgot I even had them but came across them while searching for my Derek Jeter SP Rookie cards. I did so much buying, selling, and trading back then that I don't even remember what I have now. I actually decided on collecting T206's in 2010. I picked up most of them in 2010-2011 but not as much in 2012. I only bought 47 cards in 2012 but all were less common backs.

Wow run amazing quantity of t206..congrat..you work on it since ?

g_vezina_c55
02-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Cool ron good luck in this biggggg project

e107collector
02-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Does anyone know if a collector out there has the complete T206 set that includes the Wagner, Plank, Magie, Doyle error, and the Ty Cobb with Cobb back?

That would be a super set!!

Tony

g_vezina_c55
02-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Check the monster number thread..ithink the number 1 have the wagner bjt missing the doyle but i dont know this user

freakhappy
02-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Does anyone know if a collector out there has the complete T206 set that includes the Wagner, Plank, Magie, Doyle error, and the Ty Cobb with Cobb back?

Tony

I haven't checked the Psa registry for it, but I bet the lone star collection fella might...I'm sure someone on the board knows whether or not.

Ronnie73
02-17-2013, 05:36 PM
I believe your asking about the basic 524 card set because earlier in the post we said a few times that nobody has put together a master set. On the PSA registry there is one person Donald E. Spence (Lone Star Collection) that has all 524 cards but the Ty Cobb with a Ty Cobb back is not part of the basic set. He may have one but I don't know.

Tony

e107collector
02-17-2013, 05:58 PM
I believe your asking about the basic 524 card set because earlier in the post we said a few times that nobody has put together a master set. On the PSA registry there is one person Donald E. Spence (Lone Star Collection) that has all 524 cards but the Ty Cobb with a Ty Cobb back is not part of the basic set. He may have one but I don't know.

Ronnie,

Thanks for the info. That is one great accomplishment for Mr. Spence.

Tony

wheitman
02-17-2013, 11:24 PM
At the time I published The Monster in 1980, I was just short of 3000 on my Monster Checklist. In the next 10 years, I was only able to add about 200. I've never known anyone else to come close to those totals and was the only crazy guy who collected all the various ways in 1980. In fact, one of the major reasons I published the book was to show people the many, many ways to collect the cards, which made it The Monster. I wanted to find people I could talk to about it.

caramelcard
02-18-2013, 01:29 AM
Bill,

Thanks for your hard work. A true pioneer. I know your little pamphlet got me hooked on collecting T206 many years ago.

So you actually got to 3200 different? Amazing...especially without the internet.

Are you still collecting anything?

Robert

RCMcKenzie
02-18-2013, 01:54 AM
Always great to see hobby icons posting on here. One of the reasons that makes this board fun to read.

teetwoohsix
02-18-2013, 02:15 AM
At the time I published The Monster in 1980, I was just short of 3000 on my Monster Checklist. In the next 10 years, I was only able to add about 200. I've never known anyone else to come close to those totals and was the only crazy guy who collected all the various ways in 1980. In fact, one of the major reasons I published the book was to show people the many, many ways to collect the cards, which made it The Monster. I wanted to find people I could talk to about it.

Amazing !!!

Great to see you posting !!! 3200 T206's~ only in my wildest dreams. :)
Thank you for all that you have done for us. Icon for sure.

Sincerely, Clayton

Sean
02-18-2013, 03:59 AM

Tony

I'm just speculating, but I'll bet Larry Fritch had them all. He died about seven years ago, but I spoke to him back in 2003. He had a Wagner and TWO Doyle Nat'l. He told me the story of how he found the first one ever. He was reputed to have an unbelievable collection, so I think he probably had a Cobb/Cobb back.
None of his cards came on the market following his death, so his family must still have them. His son is also a serious collector.

cfc1909
02-18-2013, 04:17 AM
Hello Bill

I was in high school in 1980 and 9 or 10 years from even knowing about t206 but I would like to talk about it.

stemmers37@yahoo.com

Jim Rivera

g_vezina_c55
02-18-2013, 06:49 AM
Nice thanks for your post !

wheitman
02-18-2013, 07:22 AM
In 1979, I provided Larry with one of my checklists before it went into book form. I'd been buying and trading with him since the early '60's. He went over the list and checked off what he had. He was at about 1800 different. He said my checklist was accurate and he had nothing to add. In a very short time, the Doyle card popped up.

ullmandds
02-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Bill...nice to see you posting again! It's great to hear stories from the old days...3200 T206's...that's amazing!!!! I'll never part with my copy of the monster!

Ronnie73
02-18-2013, 08:32 AM
Bill, Thats an incredble number of different cards. I can't even imagine what the hunt was like but it must have been much more awarding than now when we push a few buttons and choose which card we want to buy. Unfortunately I was hunting Mattingly, McGwire, and Canseco in the 80's but still had fun. I do believe I had the T206 bug in me back then because all the shows I would go to, there were always 2 or 3 tables together with T206's and i'd always look over at them and only see maybe one person looking to buy. I kinda felt like I had to be a certain age to even look at them. Meanwhile I would be three collectors deep at the table selling 1984 Donruss packs for $5. Anyways, nice to see you posting on the board and I look forward to future posts from you.

Hot Springs Bathers
02-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Bill I still use your book just as I did when it first came out for my checklist. I still believe that having the players in team sequence makes the most sense and the look best this way in albums!

I purchased it from Denny Eckes and I also purchased a typed T205 checklist with players listed by team which I still use, of course this is my second time around on both sets, wish I had never sold!

wonkaticket
02-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Amazing Bill.

soxinseven
02-18-2013, 12:39 PM
I spoke with Levi Bleam at the Shriners show last year and he was up over 2200 different T206's. He wasn't actively going after the top five or six tougher backs.

tedzan
02-18-2013, 01:04 PM
In 1979, I provided Larry with one of my checklists before it went into book form. I'd been buying and trading with him since the early '60's. He went over the list and checked off what he had. He was at about 1800 different. He said my checklist was accurate and he had nothing to add. In a very short time, the Doyle card popped up.

Hi Bill

Great to hear from you again. As I think I've told you in the past, your book got me started collecting T206's in 1980-81. Currently, I have approx. 2100 different front/back
combos. But, at my age, there is no way I could try for a master set (approx. 5500 cards).

Perhaps, my Grandson Ron, who will inherit my cards, will continue the challenge.

Will we see you at the National this Summer ?

Best regards,

TED Z

g_vezina_c55
02-18-2013, 03:47 PM
wow amazing.. 2000- 3000 T206 card is a lot of T206 ....
congrat wheitman and ted !

mrvster
02-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Fun for me to dream:)......Bill your a hobby Icon and Legend.....Great to hear from you.....I just will take 1 Wagner please:D....

My misfit/Scrap/error T206 collecting has me collecting on the "fringe", but I have gotten caught up in collecting the rarer backs and a few chase subsets(sov 460, ab's, piedy 42)....My dream is to have a "super-set" of 524 scraps/errors....THAT would be a circus:)

WOW....the numbers and combos some collectors have/had is simply awe inspiring....:eek:

Peace

Johnny

Ronnie73
02-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Ted, Those are some incredible numbers too. I remember you mentioning somewhere around that number in the past. You guys are making my 1300+ cards not sound so good ;). I need to go hang out with the basic set collectors so I feel better.:p

Levi's incredible PSA set is number 1 in the registry with 1240 different cards. I'm guessing his other 1000+ are ungraded or different subject/factory numbers or even older holders before the back descriptions were added.

I have alot of respect for everyone past and present thats worked or working on this major set. Its definitely a life long task that can easily turn into a family legacy.

Hi Bill

Great to hear from you again. As I think I've told you in the past, your book got me started collecting T206's in 1980-81. Currently, I have approx. 2100 different front/back
combos. But, at my age, there is no way I could try for a master set (approx. 5500 cards).

Perhaps, my Grandson Ron, who will inherit my cards, will continue the challenge.

Will we see you at the National this Summer ?

Best regards,

TED Z

Ronnie73
02-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Johnny, A 524 scraps/error set would probably be harder to build than the 5500+ set and more interesting too. I say chase the dream. Here's my scan of Hal Chase Blue Portrait's American Beauty 350 WF, Sovereign 460, and Piedmont 350-460 F42. The Hal Chase Blue's are my favorite card in the set.

http://www.ronaldkornacki.com/chases.jpg

Fun for me to dream:)......Bill your a hobby Icon and Legend.....Great to hear from you.....I just will take 1 Wagner please:D....

My misfit/Scrap/error T206 collecting has me collecting on the "fringe", but I have gotten caught up in collecting the rarer backs and a few chase subsets(sov 460, ab's, piedy 42)....My dream is to have a "super-set" of 524 scraps/errors....THAT would be a circus:)

WOW....the numbers and combos some collectors have/had is simply awe inspiring....:eek:

Peace

Johnny

atx840
02-18-2013, 07:06 PM
The Hal Chase Blue's are my favorite card in the set.

http://www.ronaldkornacki.com/chases.jpg

+1. Beautiful cards Ron!

mrvster
02-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Ron.....I think you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! a freak set would be off the hook, I think much more interesting also... I know Of one other collector who is collecting the regular set, and and "variation" set....I started ten years ago doing the same....an ERROR set if you will....but my a.d.d. has me chasing any freak or scrap or misfit like a T206 junkie:o

CHASE MINI RUN IS A BEAUTY!!:eek:

OMG Chase 460 is a stunner:eek:(I need that one:)), I LOVE THE 42!!! a board member has one(sov 460 chase) on hold for me in the meantime....

Imagine if we all pooled our cards together to make a super set??:D

Ronnie73
02-18-2013, 11:09 PM
The Sovereign 460 is the highest graded Hal Chase Blue in my collection. I bought it for what I think is a killer price of $245 back in June 2012. The latest Hal Chase Blue purchase i've made was a Polar Bear in a PSA 4 holder. I still need 10 out of 23. I'll be sure to post a picture when I'm down to needing 5.

Ron.....I think you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! a freak set would be off the hook, I think much more interesting also... I know Of one other collector who is collecting the regular set, and and "variation" set....I started ten years ago doing the same....an ERROR set if you will....but my a.d.d. has me chasing any freak or scrap or misfit like a T206 junkie:o

CHASE MINI RUN IS A BEAUTY!!:eek:

OMG Chase 460 is a stunner:eek:(I need that one:)), I LOVE THE 42!!! a board member has one(sov 460 chase) on hold for me in the meantime....

Imagine if we all pooled our cards together to make a super set??:D

wheitman
02-19-2013, 12:17 AM
I'd love to come to the National, but I'm just not sure my health will allow. I've had a couple of heart attacks and spent a lot of time in the hospital the past 2 plus years. But, I've gotten good news lately and been improving much more than the doctors thought I could. My goal is to see all of my four grandchildren graduate from college. The youngest is only two so it'll be quite a job. I'd love to attend the Net54 banquet if I can make it. I fear I'm a little late on hotel rooms though. I'll cross my fingers. I'd love to see everyone who is still around!

tedzan
02-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Hope to see you in Chicago this Summer, our old buddy Irv Lerner, would be too. I keep in touch with Irv, but we don't set-up at Shows in the Philly area anymore.
The few shows that are still operating are not worth doing. The old Willow Grove days are just fond memories.

Take care and best regards,

Ted Z