PDA

View Full Version : eBay Jerk of the Day

Buythatcard
02-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Every so often I come across a buyer who has nothing better to do than waste my time.

Minutes after this buyer won an auction, he sent me an email with the following request "Could you please use a "handwritten, white envelope, with a top loader on the card?" the goal is to "not" appear to be from ebay"

My response was "All cards are sent in a top loader and bubble envelope. The shipping label will say eBay on it. There is no way around it. I print all my label from ebay in order to have the tracking #'s recorded automatically. I do not have the time to stand on line at my PO.

Sorry."

He then responded and told me to cancel the transaction. Here was his reason "My goal was to have somewhat of a surprise of sorts, so it blends in with the rest of my mail"

Just another day in eBay world.

kmac32
02-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Odd request when people want exceptions. Seems like a rash of idiots on the bay recently. Currently dealing with a guy who would risk his reputation over 2 beater cards worth $11.00. My reputation is worth more than that to me.

itjclarke
02-15-2013, 10:40 PM
I figured he was at least trying to hide it from his wife or something.. I'd maybe halfway understand the motivation there. Either way that sounds like a real pain. Makes me glad I'm just a hoarding collector.

Sean
02-15-2013, 10:40 PM
WTF?:confused:

ecRich
02-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Not to justify the silly request of the auction winner, but I'm guessing he is trying to hide his ebay purchases from his wife who probably gets the mail.

sylbry
02-15-2013, 10:47 PM
You can cut the part off that says ebay. I do it all the time. But the look of the label is still a giveaway.

ibuysportsephemera
02-16-2013, 02:52 AM
I always cut the top part off that says eBay for 2 reasons. 1) I don't like giving eBay the free advertising and 2) Why give anyone an idea that there is something of value in the envelope?

Bpm0014
02-16-2013, 12:30 PM
I'll play devil's advocate; I'm in sales. It doesn't seem like an unreasonable request to be honest, no matter what kind of volume you deal with. If I had a client who made this request, I wouldn't even think of complaining or saying that it was too "tough" to fulfill. And who knows, maybe you make the guy happy and he buys more cards off of you in the future. :)

quinnsryche
02-16-2013, 12:36 PM
What's the big deal? It will actually cost you less to send it the way he wants. I sell on ebay alot and I would have no problem in doing that for a customer. I certainly wouldn't consider this guy a "jerk" for asking what he did. It's all about customer service!

howard38
02-16-2013, 12:37 PM

shammus
02-16-2013, 12:45 PM
It's probably best to check with the seller about this sort of request before completing a transaction though. It's not fair to the seller to buy something and THEN ask your questions.

In addition, shipping in a white envelope isn't exactly the safest way to ship your cards. I would say that's a borderline unreasonable request. It's up to the seller to make sure the cards arrive at their destination safely and free from harm. If the original poster had sent the cards in the white envelope and they had been damaged during shipping, he would be liable for them.

Sean1125
02-16-2013, 12:48 PM
I haven't read through the thread so excuse me if someone posted this already but the one and only reason someone would ask for PWE delivery is because you cannot put tracking on it. It means they will file a claim the day they receive the card and you will be out the card and money... It's best to just cancel the transaction and not even try for payment because that request means you are dealing with someone who intends to steal money. Period.

attellfan4life
02-16-2013, 12:49 PM
I figured he was at least trying to hide it from his wife or something.. I'd maybe halfway understand the motivation there. Either way that sounds like a real pain. Makes me glad I'm just a hoarding collector.

my way of hiding from wife is to try to get to the mailbox before her. I prefer the ebay label lets me know what day to get mail before her lol.

kmac32
02-16-2013, 01:17 PM
It's probably best to check with the seller about this sort of request before completing a transaction though. It's not fair to the seller to buy something and THEN ask your questions.

In addition, shipping in a white envelope isn't exactly the safest way to ship your cards. I would say that's a borderline unreasonable request. It's up to the seller to make sure the cards arrive at their destination safely and free from harm. If the original poster had sent the cards in the white envelope and they had been damaged during shipping, he would be liable for them.

We had an item that we specifically said ship to USA only and a buyer from Austria emailed about overseas shipping which we said we respectfully did not do and the moron bid anyhow. Even when you give specific information and answers to customers, they do not always listen. I agree with Sean about the fact you can't put tracking on a plain white envelope is a possibility here so canceling the transaction may not have been a bad move.

Michael B
02-16-2013, 03:23 PM
We had an item that we specifically said ship to USA only and a buyer from Austria emailed about overseas shipping which we said we respectfully did not do and the moron bid anyhow. Even when you give specific information and answers to customers, they do not always listen. I agree with Sean about the fact you can't put tracking on a plain white envelope is a possibility here so canceling the transaction may not have been a bad move.

Hello Ken,

If you wish to only ship to the USA you can make the changes on the ebay listing form under shipping. You can check off the places, by continent or country, you do not wish to ship to. If you do that they will not be able to bid. I have first hand knowledge of this. I saw an item on ebayUK that I was wanted to bid on. The seller had Europe only. I asked if he was willing to ship to the U.S. and he said he would. I tried to bid before he unblocked the U.S. and I was prevented from bidding. A message came up saying that the seller did not ship to that country. After he unchecked the U.S. no problem.

Cheers,

Michael

T206BrownHindu
02-16-2013, 03:39 PM
I don't like when people say their life is too busy to wait in line (for anything). Nobody likes doing it, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

poorlydrawncat
02-16-2013, 03:43 PM
I don't see what's wrong with that request. A top loader in a white envelope can be mailed for a single, standard stamp. Just throw it in the mailbox and you're all set. Although had I been the buyer I would have checked beforehand just as a courtesy, as a seller I would probably not deny such a request.

Matthew H
02-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Not to justify the silly request of the auction winner, but I'm guessing he is trying to hide his ebay purchases from his wife who probably gets the mail.

+1

I think it's pretty funny actually. He's trying to hide it from his wife, and at the same time, he's trying to hide from you, that he has to hide it from his wife. I would do it for him, but I hardly sell anything so... In bulk I could see how this could get annoying.

Jacklitsch
02-16-2013, 04:11 PM
When you agree to the buyer's request, and he then claims not to have received the card, you lose. No card, no money. eBay and PayPal will side with the buyer, not the seller. Every time.

buymycards
02-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Hi guys, If you want to send something in a PWE you should be putting 66 cents on the envelope. This PWE with a top load more than likely will not go through the hi speed sorting machines without damage to the top load. You need to put a 46 cent stamp, plus another 20 cent for the non-machinable surcharge. That way the PWE is handled by hand and won't go through a machine. If you have ever been in a USPS distribution center and watched the letters go through machines at 30,000 pieces per hour you would see what I mean.

I know- I know- you do it all of the time and your Post Office lets you do it, and blah blah blah. I'm just telling you the regulations and you can do what you like. Howard is correct by refusing this request. This top load SHOULD be in a bubble mailer or photo mailer. Howard, if you send it in a PWE the customer will probably be upset because you charged him too much for postage.

Rick

D. Bergin
02-16-2013, 05:15 PM
I find that the buyers who want you to throw a card in an envelope with a stamp on it, are usually the first ones to complain when that card shows up with a crease in it.

The ones who want you to send without delivery confirmation are the first ones to yell "where is my package", when it doesn't show up at their house two days after the auction is over.

The ones who think putting something bulky or fragile in a Priority Box is too expensive, and want you to stuff it into a flat rate envelope or bubble envelope instead, are the first to complain when an item shows up damaged.

All you can really do is state your terms, hope the customer reads them ahead of time, pack your stuff as secure as possible, and stick to your guns when you feel like you need to protect yourself.

Buythatcard
02-16-2013, 05:30 PM
I've been in business over 10 years and have dealt with many customers. From my experience I have found that buyers prefer to have their cards protected in a top loader and a bubble envelope. So, that's how I ship. This will satisfy most customers and will protect their investment.

As I mentioned in my post, eBay requires that you upload the tracking information. By using their shipping labels that solves the problem for me.

If this customer wanted me to change my shipping methods for them, they should have contacted me before they bid on the item and work something out. Don't win an auction and then say I am cancelling the transaction because you the seller didn't want to ship the item the way that I wanted it.

As far as taking out time and standing in line at my PO just to mail this one card. Sorry, but that's not happening. Each visit to my PO is a 45 minute ordeal. My business runs quite smoothly as of now.

I can't please every customer but I try my best. Still 99% of my customers are the greatest.

Texxxx
02-16-2013, 05:32 PM
So what if it's a woman buying it for her husband for a birthday present?

Buythatcard
02-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Texx,

I would work out something If the buyer contacted me prior to bidding. Don't put demands on the seller after the fact.

cubsfan-budman
02-16-2013, 05:49 PM
The buyer was pretty far from a jerk, imho.

But its cool if you need to vent.

Buythatcard
02-16-2013, 06:13 PM
You are right, the term jerk was definitely too strong of a word to use for this person. I was just venting.

I still love the business and my customers. Every so often I have to vent. That's why I love this forum. I can take my frustrations out here instead on my wife.
:D

kmac32
02-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Hello Ken,

If you wish to only ship to the USA you can make the changes on the ebay listing form under shipping. You can check off the places, by continent or country, you do not wish to ship to. If you do that they will not be able to bid. I have first hand knowledge of this. I saw an item on ebayUK that I was wanted to bid on. The seller had Europe only. I asked if he was willing to ship to the U.S. and he said he would. I tried to bid before he unblocked the U.S. and I was prevented from bidding. A message came up saying that the seller did not ship to that country. After he unchecked the U.S. no problem.

Cheers,

Michael

Know that now and all new listings are done this way. My point is that they specifically emailed about the shipping, we're told no, and they still bid. Did learn from this situation, but I do consider this person a jerk for not respecting the listing and proceeding even after being told no.

Buythatcard
02-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Just to show this buyer that I am not a bad guy.

I decided to send the card off in a white envelope. Not only that, I told him that the card is for free.

Sometimes, doing nice things for people has more of an impact than trying to scold them.

Bpm0014
02-16-2013, 07:05 PM
That's a class act. Hopefully the seller will appreciate it.

kateighty
02-16-2013, 07:17 PM
So what if it's a woman buying it for her husband for a birthday present?
from a woman's point of view, the last thing i'd want a gift sent in (especially one for my man) is a plain envelope. i'd probably neurotically ask for extra bubble wrap since USPS has pissed me off lately :)

alanu
02-16-2013, 07:49 PM
I don't think I would call the buyer a jerk, but since the "special" request is a deal breaker for the buyer, he should have asked if the card could be shipped using the "special" method before he bid on the card.

shammus
02-16-2013, 08:39 PM

I decided to send the card off in a white envelope. Not only that, I told him that the card is for free.

Sometimes, doing nice things for people has more of an impact than trying to scold them.

Very nice and classy thing to do. Did he respond to your offer?

Buythatcard
02-16-2013, 08:42 PM
No response yet. Card is already in its white envelope and ready to go.

Gary Dunaier
02-17-2013, 12:48 AM
I don't think I would call the buyer a jerk, but since the "special" request is a deal breaker for the buyer, he should have asked if the card could be shipped using the "special" method before he bid on the card.

I agree that if shipping the card in a plain envelope was so important to him, he should have contacted Buythatcard before bidding. But, on the other hand, was it specifically stated in his listing that he ships in bubble envelopes and that there was "no way around it?" If not, then I don't see how the buyer can be faulted for asking after the fact.

Buythatcard, if you're concerned about tracking, you could have responded something like this: "All cards are sent in a top loader and bubble envelope. The shipping label will say eBay on it. I print all my label from ebay in order to have the tracking #'s recorded automatically. However, if you are willing to assume the risk of loss or damage in the mail, I'll be glad to comply with your request. Please respond and specifically tell me that you're willing to assume the risk, and I'll be happy to mail your card in a handwritten envelope."

By "surprise," the buyer could have meant a surprise to himself. Maybe he gets a lot of mail, and whereas a large bubble envelope would have stood out right away, a #6 or #10 envelope with the card would be mixed in with the rest of the incoming letters, and as he sorted them he'd get the surprise of knowing it arrived.

As far as hiding hobby purchases from a spouse, sometimes there are extreme situations where it's necessary, as this anecdote from the legendary stamp dealer Herman Herst, Jr. will show (relax, no prior knowledge of stamp collecting is required)...

The customer was a doctor in Brooklyn. He needed a used single of [a very expensive stamp] and asked me to send him one on approval. Since he was a good buyer over the years, always paying promptly and never complaining, I did not hesitate to submit one.

Back it came, promptly, torn in half, with a brief note from his wife:

“My husband has received strict orders from me. He is not going to buy any more stamps. I hope this teaches you a lesson.”

Fortunately, his original letter had an office telephone number on it, and I was not long in calling him on the phone.

He thought that I was calling for not having sent the stamp. He said:

“My wife said that if she saw any more letters from stamp dealers she would open them and tear any stamps in the letter in half. I did not think she meant it.”

He continued, “It has taught me a lesson. I am going to take a Post Office Box. I will give you the address as soon as I have it.”

He did not stop buying stamps, and was decent enough to pay for the torn stamp. I asked if I might keep it as a souvenir of the stupid act of a wife jealous of her husband’s hobby.

It does not happen often that one spouse denies the other the pleasure of a hobby. But when that couple finally breaks up, her forcing him to seek additions to his collection via a Post Office Box will have been the start of it all. Happily, few of us are that dumb.

olrac44
02-18-2013, 05:12 AM
I had a guy win a card last night, he then sends me a message and says He's sorry but he no longer wants the card. I respond, why did you bid then?

His response was I bid on several of your auctions and didn't win any of them so I do not want this one either. I looked and sure enough he bid on several items but lost all of them.

Since eBay won't let me leave negative feedback for a buyer, well, there isn't much concern about backing out. Very weak ebay. Very weak.

Buythatcard
02-18-2013, 07:21 AM
So, after posting this thread, I mentioned 2 days ago that I decided to send the buyer the card for free. I wrote him an email that night and told him what I decided to do.

Now, if someone did that for me, I would have responded and thanked them.

This buyer never even acknowledged my email.

So, I am heading to the PO this morning to drop off all my packages. One of the packages is for him.

Should I mail it or keep it?

rainier2004
02-18-2013, 07:57 AM
So, after posting this thread, I mentioned 2 days ago that I decided to send the buyer the card for free. I wrote him an email that night and told him what I decided to do.

So, I am heading to the PO this morning to drop off all my packages. One of the packages is for him.

It would have been nice to get an email and thank you, but in the end you have to ask yourself "why" you're sending the card for free. I think it was very nice offer after his misstep not emailing you prior to the auction. Good deeds are their own rewards.

frankbmd
02-18-2013, 08:02 AM
The customer was a doctor in Brooklyn. He needed a used single of [a very expensive stamp] and asked me to send him one on approval. Since he was a good buyer over the years, always paying promptly and never complaining, I did not hesitate to submit one.

Back it came, promptly, torn in half, with a brief note from his wife:

“My husband has received strict orders from me. He is not going to buy any more stamps. I hope this teaches you a lesson.”

Fortunately, his original letter had an office telephone number on it, and I was not long in calling him on the phone.

He thought that I was calling for not having sent the stamp. He said:

“My wife said that if she saw any more letters from stamp dealers she would open them and tear any stamps in the letter in half. I did not think she meant it.”

He continued, “It has taught me a lesson. I am going to take a Post Office Box. I will give you the address as soon as I have it.”

He did not stop buying stamps, and was decent enough to pay for the torn stamp. I asked if I might keep it as a souvenir of the stupid act of a wife jealous of her husband’s hobby.

It does not happen often that one spouse denies the other the pleasure of a hobby. But when that couple finally breaks up, her forcing him to seek additions to his collection via a Post Office Box will have been the start of it all. Happily, few of us are that dumb.

This tale would suggest that the wife was already planning on a divorce and just wanted half the stamp in the property settlement.;)

kmac32
02-18-2013, 11:53 AM

Would still mail it but not suprised with the way people are these days. I would have written a thank you, but that's me. Maybe he will write one after he gets the cards?

teetwoohsix
02-18-2013, 12:46 PM

Kudos Howard, that was very kind of you. :)

Sincerely, Clayton

earlywynnfan
02-18-2013, 04:12 PM
I'd still mail it; karma will follow.

There have been times where I found out the postage I quoted on ebay was noticably higher than it actually ended up being, so about 6-8 times last year I refunded several dollars to some buyers for the overage. 1 person thanked me.

Ken