PDA

View Full Version : SATCHEL PAIGE Broadside - any good?

RichardSimon
02-12-2013, 01:39 PM
This is being offered to me. Any thoughts on authenticity and value.
Thanks for your help.

Jaybird
02-12-2013, 02:44 PM
This one actually looks like it could be real. I've not seen it printed up in multiples like many of the others. But condition is pretty bad. Why so many holes? Very weird to see that many holes in a piece and that makes me question it.

If you can look at the paper, you'll have a better idea. Sometimes with things like this, you really need to see them in person. But, if I had to guess, I'd vote real. Price? Hard to say. Condition is pretty bad. Post-1942 date. What are you willing to pay? In that condition, I'm going to say $100-200. Maybe I'm way off and someone can correct me.

Oldtix
02-12-2013, 03:04 PM
A search of the perpetual calendar reveals that August 12th fell on Thursday in 1943 (it also fell on Thursday in 1948, but Satch was with the Indians by that time). The Red Sox played a doubleheader in Chicago on that date, so Fenway would have been available.

The multiple linear nail holes would imply it was used as insulation - I have run across many old windowcards with similar damage.

Good luck, Richard!

Jaybird
02-12-2013, 03:36 PM
A search of the perpetual calendar reveals that August 12th fell on Thursday in 1943 (it also fell on Thursday in 1948, but Satch was with the Indians by that time). The Red Sox played a doubleheader in Chicago on that date, so Fenway would have been available.

The multiple linear nail holes would imply it was used as insulation - I have run across many old windowcards with similar damage.

Good luck, Richard!

Great thought on the insulation. Hadn't thought of that and it makes sense.

Jason19th
02-12-2013, 07:17 PM
I would agree it looks real to me. I would actually think that the value would be a bit higher. I would think at least in the 400-500 range. I know that the condition is bad but real broadsides just don't exist. I got a Monarch's team broadside in very poor shape for about $75 a couple years ago and I still think that I got a steal. The fact that Paige is featured drives up the value. Also just think how much the negro league "team cards" which were just cut up portions of a large broadside went for at the last Hakes auction

I would jump at the offer is the funds were available

Jason

murphusa
02-13-2013, 06:57 AM
it looks fake to me but

http://shop.i-concepts.org/PRINT-M-M-SATCHEL-PAIGE-FENWAY-PARK-KC-MONARCHS-1943-BPL-ST10739-11x14.htm

on problem is his wife divorced him on Aug 4, 1943

bcbgcbrcb
02-13-2013, 07:05 AM
Don't really like it, just doesn't look right but would have to see in person to tell for sure.

pariah1107
02-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Agree with Phil, don't like any broadside printed during WWII paper rationing.... especially Negro League items

steve B
02-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Fore River in Quincy was a major shipyard and huge defense contractor. They built several aircraft carriers during WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fore_River_Shipyard

Their baseball club would have had enough in the way of connections to get pretty much anything they needed.

Survival rates for something like this would have been low, but I can see guards or factory workers using it to stop a draft or something like that.

The shipyard is closed now, but the site is 113 acres and being converted to more modern industrial/commercial space. Many of the old buildings are still standing.

Steve B

GrayGhost
02-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Looks too "old, aged". so much of this has reproed.

RichardSimon
02-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I think I am going to pass on this one.