PDA

View Full Version : Full Name In Posts

Edwolf1963
02-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Leon - just curious, and apologies if this has been brought up before - since the full name in your posts rule is constantly in need of being reminded (and I would imagine tiresome for you to keep reminding) -- is there a way for you to approve accounts whereas your name then automatically goes on your posts? I keep thinking if you get full names in order to register here, why can't they be automatically included on the posts and people could edit (for spam and phishing reasons, not delete or be in violation) as they so choose?

Leon
02-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Leon - just curious, and apologies if this has been brought up before - since the full name in your posts rule is constantly in need of being reminded (and I would imagine tiresome for you to keep reminding) -- is there a way for you to approve accounts whereas your name then automatically goes on your posts? I keep thinking if you get full names in order to register here, why can't they be automatically included on the posts and people could edit (for spam and phishing reasons, not delete or be in violation) as they so choose?

It's actually a great question Ed. Let me try to address it the best way I can. There are a lot of members who do not want their name to be out here in internet-land. I want them to be comfortable and still be able to chime in on the board. For that reason I try to abide by their wishes, as long as they don't get into discussions where there full name would be needed. There is no doubt that this rule is 50x more tiresome to enforce (literally) than any other one. Yes, I have full names and yes I can put them in title lines under user id's and can make it where only a moderator can change it. I have done that 50x or more. I don't like to do it as it seems a bit heavy handed....but I get tired of folks not doing as they should in the first place. About a week ago I had Brian change the top lines on each page, to the right of the Net54baseball logo. It now has a line that says this basic rule- "If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post." It has helped some. I feel if full names were mandated for everyone then the forum would suffer from less posts. I don't want that to happen. Folks should be able to chime in, in benign type threads, without having to have their full name displayed, if that is what they want. If someone says "wow, great looking card" or " I just finished that set"...they shouldn't be required to do something that don't want to. Hope this makes sense...and I am always open to discussing rules but so far this rule has worked well even if it is difficult to manage. best regards

Edwolf1963
02-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks, good point - - I'm fine with the rule itself and this certainly makes sense for those with general comments or feedback, just sympathetic to the time and work involved to monitor and remind.