PDA

View Full Version : Need advice Michael Jordan UD auto basketball

Big Ben
02-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Need some help. A friend of mine has been offered an Upper Deck authenticated Michael Jordan autograph Wilson basketball with COA from a person he works with. I will not collect anything like this so I was wondering what scam to look out for and a decent market price. He has been offered $1,000.

Thanks in advance.

travrosty
02-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Need some help. A friend of mine has been offered an Upper Deck authenticated Michael Jordan autograph Wilson basketball with COA from a person he works with. I will not collect anything like this so I was wondering what scam to look out for and a decent market price. He has been offered $1,000.

Thanks in advance.

UDA has a five point system of authentication, so he should get a cert card with hologram cert number which matches the one on the ball, and upper deck should be able to confirm it with picture proof that it is the ball jordan signed. if they can't, then stay away.

drc
02-12-2013, 10:45 AM
UDA authentication itself is as reliable as there is, and I haven't of heard of any Score Board-esque issues with them. I would think if the holograms are there, it probably is legit.

A good thing to do is to go on eBay or wherever to see what the COAs and holograms look like. The hologram on the signed item is usually oval/football shaped with the serial number.

Big Ben
02-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Thank you both for your input. As you can tell, I am not into the Upper Deck authenticating process. I also directed my friend to the completed listings part of EBay.

Once again my friend and I appreciate everything.

drc
02-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Unlike PSA which gives judgement after the fact, UDA hires the athletes under contract to to sign and has a strict signing/authentication process. It's essentially like in person autographs.

Sean1125
02-12-2013, 04:01 PM
You can get Jordan UDA basketballs for cheaper than $1k if you sit and wait a bit...I've seen them sell for $600-$800 consistently and sold 2 in the $750 range myself.

jimjim
02-12-2013, 05:48 PM
You can get them close to $500 on ebay every once in a while.

mcgwirecom
02-12-2013, 07:03 PM
I snagged one on a small web auction site years ago for $200! Didn't he sign a lot of UDA on Jet basketballs?

Bpm0014
02-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Any premium if they are on a Spalding official game ball??

Big Ben
02-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Any premium if they are on a Spalding official game ball??

At one time, maybe in the 1990's, didn't MJ only sign Wilson basketballs?

mcgwirecom
02-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Yeah, mine was a Wilson JET basketball like this one..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHAEL-JORDAN-SIGNED-AUTOGRAPHED-WILSON-NBA-BASKETBALL-BALL-UDA-BAH70799-/140740949850?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item20c4d0775a

I bought it in the 90's and i think most of them were this type.

Bpm0014
02-14-2013, 09:11 AM
I had (semi) access to Jordan through my uncle. He signed several items for me over the years. I have 2 Spalding offical game balls. My most unique item: I have 2 Jordan rookies. I ask my uncle to have him sign one; the lesser condition one. I give it to my uncle (who knows nothing about autographs or memorabilia) in a cheap plastic "ROOKIE CARD" case. I see my uncle the next day, he gives me the card back, with the Jordan autograph.....on the case itself!! hahahahaha

isaac2004
02-14-2013, 07:58 PM
I had (semi) access to Jordan through my uncle. He signed several items for me over the years. I have 2 Spalding offical game balls. My most unique item: I have 2 Jordan rookies. I ask my uncle to have him sign one; the lesser condition one. I give it to my uncle (who knows nothing about autographs or memorabilia) in a cheap plastic "ROOKIE CARD" case. I see my uncle the next day, he gives me the card back, with the Jordan autograph.....on the case itself!! hahahahaha

Be prepared for countless Jordan requests. Good luck

mcgwirecom
02-14-2013, 08:18 PM

LOL, I sent Rudy Ruettiger a ticket from the game he played in. He also signed the top loader, LOL

Bpm0014
02-15-2013, 08:35 AM
That's funny! I figured I had to be the only one that it ever happened to! Perfect signature too...