PDA

View Full Version : R309-2 Greenberg

Iron Horse
02-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Tried looking up as to what fair price would be for an Ex example, but can't find anything anywhere in past auctions... Anyone know how scarce this issue is and know of any recent or past sales?
I found a picture of one BVG graded example of Greenberg, but that is it.
Appreciate your input guys.

HRBAKER
02-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Several board members have one I believe. It's a tough set with what seems to be little demand. VCP does not list it. I paid several hundred dollars for mine.

Iron Horse
02-10-2013, 09:30 PM
$1000 for an Ex is too high

Leon
02-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Like Jeff says, rare but not a lot of demand. They are condition sensitive, that is for sure. I would venture to guess an ex one would be in the 400-600 range, but I am not sure collectors of that set would care as much about the grade as collectors of some other sets. I paid around 265 for this one, I think...

http://luckeycards.com/pr3092goudeygreenberg.jpg

HRBAKER
02-10-2013, 09:33 PM
$1000 for an Ex is too high

IMO, yes w/o a doubt. I think you can beat that but they don't come up that often.

Iron Horse
02-10-2013, 09:40 PM
There is one on ebay for $1300 but $1000 is his bottom line. Appreciate the input and i will wait for one at the right price.
Thanks again

Leon
02-10-2013, 09:45 PM
There is one on ebay for $1300 but $1000 is his bottom line. Appreciate the input and i will wait for one at the right price.
Thanks again

Just to put it in perspective, you could be waiting years to see another R309-2 Greenberg in EX condition. I have definitely paid premiums, more times than I can count, to get a card I want. I would guess many on this board have too. If Greenberg was the last card I needed in the set, and the rest of the set I had was already EX, I could see me ponying up for it at that price. However, it is a bit of a high price to pay under ordinary circumstances.

HRBAKER
02-10-2013, 09:45 PM
You may wait awhile. They are very tough cards. I've had an Ott that I have tried to sell off and on for years. Great player, 500 HR club, HOF, ya ya ya. Had it priced as low as $250 at one time, no bites. Greenberg has a much greater following than Ott though. I built a set one at a time and it took a long time to find them all. The seller of that one btw is a good guy and may be more attuned to the market than I.

Iron Horse
02-10-2013, 09:50 PM
I think it is just a great image. Not completing a set. Never owned one of these so any help on what you consider the condition to be?

Jewish-collector
02-10-2013, 10:29 PM
You would think it would be in some demand because of Jewish player collectors would want it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Tim Zwick
02-10-2013, 10:39 PM
$1K for an ex condition Greenberg is quite steep......Fairly tough issue in high grade although I was fortunate enough to purchase the entire set (there is no Lester Bell) in the Legendary May 2011 Auction for $1075 with a near mint Greenberg

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=115599

Matt
02-11-2013, 06:00 AM
Very tough in high grade due to the size and thin paper. I got in mine in a trade+cash deal several years ago for around $900:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5dAAg-u0mI4/TFC9Ws3EHeI/AAAAAAAAK88/zKYRxnQYBpA/s800/image-38.jpg

danmckee
02-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Yes my Greenberg is steep as Tim stated. Heck I think I bought it from him now that I think about it! I bought most of my set from Tim, thanks Tim for these!

I really do not want to sell it as it is part of my near complete set, I am missing just the Washington Team.

Sometimes I put stuff up from my personal collection very high because I really don't want to sell it but if it is the only one available at the time then there is a chance I will get giant money for a rare, tough, not offered very often item.

My Stan Musial 1955 full box with cards lid and glove is another example. I threw it up on ebay very high, one sold in legendary for $5600 I believe.

Hey I have sold some stuff I really didn't want to this way but I hit a homerun and can spend the money on some neat stuff I may need.

I love it when people quote me price guide prices on rare stuff, I wish they would buy the stuff from the author of the guide, oh that's right, they don't have the item to sell.

Take care
dan mckee - darby-s