PDA

View Full Version : To New Member Flavius

White Borders
02-10-2013, 03:56 AM
Greetings Flavius,

I noticed that you are a new member, having just joined on February 4th, and I want to say welcome to Net54baseball!

I'm curious about your choice of the user name Flavius. In the first century there was a Jew named Josephus who eventually took the name Titus Flavius Josephus. As Josephus, he was a Jewish leader in the fight against the Romans in the First Roman-Jewish War. When the future Roman emperor Flavius and his son Titus, who was also to later become a Roman emperor, had Josephus' group of approximately 40 Jews trapped in a cave, Josephus convinced his group to kill each other rather than surrender, and then he would commit suicide. But after the rest of the Jews had killed themselves off leaving just Josephus to commit suicide, he instead surrendered to the Romans. He "prophesied" to Flavius that Flavius would some day become emperor. When Flavius did become emperor, he granted Josephus his freedom. Instead of returning to the Jews, he chose to serve as an aide and historian for Flavius and Titus and took their names. He became known for writing Jewish history for a Roman audience (meaning pro-Roman). In other words he benefited for betraying his own people. In my opinion, that's almost as bad as inadvertently being sent a baseball card that one didn't buy and then putting it up for sale rather than returning it so it could be sent to the rightful owner.

Something else I'm curious about are the following posts:

I met Al Bridwell in 1968 when I visited the Baseball HOF for the first time. He was there and while I had no idea who he was at the time, my father did and I believe got an autograph that is long gone now :(. That is about all I know regarding the situation.

You said that you met Bridwell in 1968. About an hour before making that post you made this one:

http://oi50.tinypic.com/51pz0y.jpg

These are the majority of jerseys/autos I have from my collection from when I was a kid. I've tried to look up some of these but I haven't been able to find anything on several including the "Best" Autographs of Eric Chavez (1998, I think Minor League?), Danny Peoples (1998), and Richard Almanzar (1996). On the back of those it says Authentic Autograph etc etc. I know the autographs and everything are genuine as every card I had back then was pulled from packs.

So if anyone has some information on these I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

You say the cards were from when you were a kid.

I've downloaded and attached the image. It looks like they are mostly from 1995-2005.

So, let's assume you were around age 4 in 1968. That would make you about 31 in 1995 and 41 in 2005, those years when you were a kid.

Now that I've busted your chops, let me pass on something useful that some members don't realize is there or forget about. In the upper half of every forum page there is a bar that has functions including User CP, FAQ, and Search on it. You can use the Search function to find threads and posts on things like T206 Backs and Lenox. On Net54, rarely does a week (some would say an hour) go by in which we don't have a new thread discussing T206 Backs. It's always ok to ask questions if you need help or don't understand something. And there is usually somebody who can quickly provide you with answers, like Rob did. But also many things have already been answered many times on the forum. By taking the time to search and read older threads and posts, you can quickly pick up a lot of knowledge :)

Again, Welcome to Net54Baseball!

Best Regards and Happy Collecting :)
Craig

Leon
02-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Interesting Craig. This s/w does let members do some research on what's folks have posted on the board. I would be interested to get Bryan's (Flavius's) response.

Clutch-Hitter
02-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Interesting indeed

Tcards-Please
02-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Craig,

He has been unusually quite today. I have a feeling that Bryan will not be responding to this post since he has been called out. I doubt there is anything other than "his son or some other relative used his account while he was out of the country" that could be used as an excuse.

r/
Frank

Moonlight Graham
02-10-2013, 02:54 PM
At least he didn't try to post a thread about "Field Of Dreams" in someone else's thread:D

Exhibitman
02-11-2013, 12:11 PM
I saw Flavius and my first thought was Flavius Maximus, the gladiator from the Star Trek episode "Bread and Circuses"

Not to be confused with Naughtius Maximus from Life of Brian

drc
02-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Flavius was a common name when i was a kid.

botn
02-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Craig,

He has been unusually quite today. I have a feeling that Bryan will not be responding to this post since he has been called out. I doubt there is anything other than "his son or some other relative used his account while he was out of the country" that could be used as an excuse.

r/
Frank

I believe he is quite busy selling items which had been sent to him in error. He is such a breath of fresh air. I hope he comes back soon.

flavius
02-11-2013, 01:43 PM
chuckledirl

bn2cardz
02-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Greetings Flavius,

Something else I'm curious about are the following posts:

You said that you met Bridwell in 1968. About an hour before making that post you made this one:

You say the cards were from when you were a kid.

I've downloaded and attached the image. It looks like they are mostly from 1995-2005.

So, let's assume you were around age 4 in 1968. That would make you about 31 in 1995 and 41 in 2005, those years when you were a kid.

chuckledirl

I assume he is still a kid or at least a teen (no offense to Wazoo) with that last post

Gradedcardman
02-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Craig,

Well stated.

Adam

ctownboy
02-11-2013, 03:32 PM
All I have to say is this. Ever since reading Flavius's first post in the other thread (seeming to condone selling a card you KNOW doesn't belong to you) all I can do is picture a guy sitting behind a computer, wearing a crown on his head, a clock around his neck and saying, "Yea, boy!!!" while pumping his fist in the air every time he reads about a crook trying to get away with a crime.

Flavor Flav(ious).

David

Edited to add my last name - Smith

And before anybody wants to start some conspiracy theory that IS my real name.

SushiX37
02-11-2013, 04:04 PM
All I have to say is this. Ever since reading Flavius's first post in the other thread (seeming to condone selling a card you KNOW doesn't belong to you) all I can do is picture a guy sitting behind a computer, wearing a crown on his head, a clock around his neck and saying, "Yea, boy!!!" while pumping his fist in the air every time he reads about a crook trying to get away with a crime.

Flavor Flav(ious).

David

Best response yet.

Rich

Leon
02-11-2013, 04:16 PM

Flavor Flav(ious).

David

Even though I agree with you please be cognizant of the board rules with respect to having your full name in your post. To make this rule easier it is now at the top of every page....and more details are under the rules icon...

wazoo
02-11-2013, 07:46 PM
I assume he is still a kid or at least a teen (no offense to Wazoo) with that last post

None taken haha.

White Borders
02-11-2013, 07:59 PM
chuckledirl

As in chuckled IRL: This thread made me chuckle in real life?

Or as in chuckledirl: This thread is so stupid it's not worth responding to?

:p

cfc1909
02-11-2013, 08:29 PM
checkmate from the OP. no matter the response can't change the facts

great work as always Craig

Jim Rivera

sdkammeyer
02-11-2013, 08:36 PM
None taken haha.

ok, time out!

Sorry to stray from the topic for just one second ..... but I will tie it all together in the end .......I promise.

How old are you wazoo?? :D

Bocabirdman
02-11-2013, 08:37 PM
ok, time out!

Sorry to stray from the topic for just one second ..... but I will tie it all together in the end .......I promise.

How old are you wazoo?? :D

I believe Waz recently had a birthday, his 16th.

wazoo
02-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Mike is correct. Just turned 16 in December :)

brickyardkennedy
02-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Did you ever meet Al Bridwell, Waz?

sdkammeyer
02-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Mike is correct. Just turned 16 in December :)
Well, Happy Birthday!! Sorry I missed it!! I had no idea you were that young. I mean we are all a bit quirky, regardless of age, but I didn't know you were so young. Hell my daughter turns 16 next month. (don't even think about it :D)
Kudos to you for conducting yourself in the manner that you do ..... and kudos for being more mature than some of us old folks as well :)

If I could rewind the clock 20 years I wish I could be you.

Eric72
02-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Kudos to you for conducting yourself in the manner that you do ..... and kudos for being more mature than some of us old folks as well :)

Agreed...Waz is wise beyond his years and has conducted himself as a gentleman on this board, so far as I have seen.

Best Regards,

Eric

Jlighter
02-11-2013, 10:34 PM

Hmm

20+16=36?:)

freakhappy
02-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Hmm

You're good :D;)

sdkammeyer
02-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Hmm

You're good :D;)

Power math right there!

Yup, my 37th is in June. :o

It just amazes me ..... that waz has the mentality that he does .... and definitely has more maturity that Flavius and his ....

"chuckledirl"????

Jlighter
02-11-2013, 11:26 PM
I didn't get a B in 9th grade Algebra for nothing.:D

lancemountain
02-12-2013, 01:08 AM
Took 8 years of Latin in school and Father McDevitt used to pronounce "Titus" like "Teet Us"

Heehee. Got whooped for that one. Still worth it :)

Brendan
02-12-2013, 05:22 AM
Power math right there!

Yup, my 37th is in June. :o

It just amazes me ..... that waz has the mentality that he does .... and definitely has more maturity that Flavius and his ....

"chuckledirl"????

Apparently he got "chuckedirl" from his friendly neighborhood Yugioh forum: http://www.yugiohforums.com/archive/index.php/t-78346.html? If you scroll down about half way (or just type CTRL+F and then "chuckledirl") you'll see it's official definition: "'Chuckledirl' is mainly a term when something is so dull, stupid, or pointless that I do not feel like having to post an in depth response to."

"Chuckledirl" pretty much describes my opinion of Bryan.

wazoo
02-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Well, Happy Birthday!! Sorry I missed it!! I had no idea you were that young. I mean we are all a bit quirky, regardless of age, but I didn't know you were so young. Hell my daughter turns 16 next month. (don't even think about it :D)

Thanks for the kind words guys! It really means a lot. It's been a lot of fun being involved in this hobby, and by being a Net54 member, the experience has been even better! There are some great guys here (including you all!), that have really helped me with my collection. Thanks once again.

By the way Steve, lol at the part about your daughter! What's her number ;) Just kidding, I already have a girlfriend! Some good laughs though!

wazoo
02-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Did you ever meet Al Bridwell, Waz?

Hahah, not yet ;). He has not entered my collection either.

sdkammeyer
02-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys! It really means a lot. It's been a lot of fun being involved in this hobby, and by being a Net54 member, the experience has been even better! There are some great guys here (including you all!), that have really helped me with my collection. Thanks once again.

By the way Steve, lol at the part about your daughter! What's her number ;) Just kidding, I already have a girlfriend! Some good laughs though!

10:44am .... on a tuesday ...... you should be in math class son :)

steve B
02-12-2013, 10:47 AM
10:44am .... on a tuesday ...... you should be in math class son :)

Having watched my cousins daughter text something to me accurately while her phone was in the pocket of her jacket I'd guess he may be in class or between classes.

Steve B

wazoo
02-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Having watched my cousins daughter text something to me accurately while her phone was in the pocket of her jacket I'd guess he may be in class or between classes.

Steve B

Nailed it Steve. I get 5 minutes between classes.

wazoo
02-13-2013, 02:58 PM
So Steger K., how will this tie in as well? Just curious :)

White Borders
02-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Sorry, was working a lot the past few days and not paying much attention to the board.

But I just noticed that Flavius' name has changed from Bryan something (Herrell?) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showpost.php?p=1086063&postcount=48) to M1ke Ste1n in his signature line in his post (http://www.net54baseball.com/showpost.php?p=1089049&postcount=22)

Unfortunately I didn't capture his profile or download his V-Card previously, but there is no longer a Bryan something (Herrell?) on it.

So I just wondering what I missed in this saga the past few days :confused:

Best Regards
Craig

ibuysportsephemera
02-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Sorry, was working a lot the past few days and not paying much attention to the board.

But I just noticed that Flavius' name has changed from Bryan something (Herrell?) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showpost.php?p=1086063&postcount=48) to M1ke Ste1n in his signature line in his post (http://www.net54baseball.com/showpost.php?p=1089049&postcount=22)

Unfortunately I didn't capture his profile or download his V-Card previously, but there is no longer a Bryan something (Herrell?) on it.

So I just wondering what I missed in this saga the past few days :confused:

Best Regards
Craig

I noticed the same this thing and you are correct...it was something like that.

bn2cardz
02-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Maybe he will respond after he figures out how to crack open a psa slab:

flavius
02-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Good to see everyone cares so much. I appreciate the attention that normally I would have to work for.

Jlighter
02-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Good to see everyone cares so much. I appreciate the attention that normally I would have to work for.

Well, I guess that explained everything.:D

Leon
03-07-2013, 12:55 PM

I have received some more information that makes me even less comfortable with our member Flavius. It is against the rules to register with erroneous information. I am not sure what to make of this person. I tried calling his number and got some kind of jacked up google phone crap. I did leave a message. I also sent an email letting him know that until we talk on the phone he won't be allowed back. I don't know of him committing any outright fraud but was apprised of a weird deal (at best) today. Until I get a warm fuzzy of him being on the up and up, and who he is portraying to be, he will be in time out. If any one is doing any deals with Flavius please be careful. I don't think I would send my item first...but I am not saying he has done anything specifically wrong either. There are just too many questions, as of now, for me to be comfortable with him as a board member.