PDA

View Full Version : T210 -- Black Tape -- Opinions

mybuddyinc
02-09-2013, 02:13 PM
I won this lot of 75 T-210's on ebay a few weeks ago (which includes a Kelly - Mascot). I knew I was taking a gamble, but thought that I could remove the black tape on the reverse of them. After trying many approaches, there is one thing I can say for certain: This tape is NOT coming off.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-OLD-MILL-BASEBALL-CARDS-T210-RED-BOARDERS-75-CARDS-IN-LOT-SALE-/170970798894?item=170970798894&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=iKQ2AbQCx0FKil%252BTfOJ618zqOeU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I was always planning on reselling them (maybe keeping a few), but now I have a quandary of how to do it. I certainly will not try to pawn them off as a whole, trying to get another “gambler” to fruitlessly try to remove the tape.

My thought right now is to sell them individually on ebay, as is. I would list them “as is,” explain that I do not believe the tape will ever come off, and therefore “no returns.” My foreseeable problem (paranoia ?) with that is when a buyer who thinks he can remove tape receives them, and realizes tape is not coming off, he would then go through ebay/paypal for a return. Knowing ebay, even if I state “no returns,” they would probably side with the buyer.

I know I could go the BST route, with more educated/accepting, and less disgruntled buyers. However, I have a few busy weeks coming up and am not ready to do so right now (in other words this is not meant to be a “cheap” front page selling thread).

Opinions ???

Upon re-reading this, I realize BST/ebay are my best options, BUT any other opinions would be welcome (other than submitting them to PSA requesting a “Black Tape Find” label :)).

NewEnglandBaseBallist
02-09-2013, 02:23 PM
If you can't soak the tape off, I'd put them individually on EBay "as is" with front and back pics and a note in the description stating that the tape is likely unremovable. T210's are in demand these days. If a dedicated T210 collector passes on them, there all plenty of off-grade collectors like myself who'll bid on them.

flavius
02-09-2013, 03:32 PM
I have been able to remove tape by microwaving cards before.... I don't believe this damages the cards but certainly be very careful if you try this.

Bryan

NewEnglandBaseBallist
02-09-2013, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't put a pre-war card in a microwave ever. If the tape should melt for any reason then the card is kindling.

Jason
02-09-2013, 04:19 PM
I saw this lot and put a few bids in myself.I wasn't sure the tape would come off either so I dropped out.Im sure they will sell as is on Ebay.Sorry to hear of the trouble removing the tape.The front on that Kelly Mascot was very nice.Curious question,was it double sided tape?

Bridwell
02-09-2013, 05:23 PM
I'd recommend heating the tape with a hair dryer and trying to peel it off. I have had success with this a couple of times. The heat might soften up the glue.

Jason Carota
02-09-2013, 06:18 PM
My wife uses UN-DU Adhesive Remover for her scrapbook projects. Pretty impressive to see the stuff in action. Its acid-free and photo-safe, so it may be ok for the T210's.

Ronnie73
02-09-2013, 08:47 PM
I'm also a stamp collector and i'm sure those that collected at one time remember soaking stamps in water to get them off the paper. Well with todays newer stamps that are self adhesive, they are known to be impossible to remove from the paper and were made this way so they could not be removed and reused. I've never tried this with cards but a three dollar can of Pure Citrus Orange Air Freshener Spray found at Walmart works wonders on newer stamps. It naturally evaporates on stamps and only a couple sprays are needed to wet the stamp and paper. It would probably need a few more sprays on a card but might be worth a try. After a few days the orange smell is gone too. Use the spray outside because its very strong smelling and keep it away from plastics like PSA and SGC holders. Also, if the tape comes off but a little bit of sticky glue is left behind, just rub baby powder on the card till its not sticky anymore.

Craig M
02-09-2013, 10:00 PM
$2026 OUCH!

Personally, I would leave these cards alone.

I collect low grade T206's and would purchase (a) card like this to be used as a filler card as I build the set until I land an upgrade. Even with the black tape on the border you still are able to tell that it is Series 1, Old Mill and the Factory No.

The problem is that personally I buy low grade cards no higher than $12 (commons); preferably lower.

I think you are into these cards around $27 each so it's a tough one.

Wish you well,

Craig

atx840
02-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Tried a few methods and the only thing that seemed to "work" was soaking. Unfortunately even letting the tape float off on its own with gentle pulling in a very long (8 hour) bath you still get major paperloss :mad:

http://i.imgur.com/QfumWoQ.jpg

caramelcard
02-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Not too bad Chris. Better than with the tape imo.

Did you try hot water?

Rob

atx840
02-21-2013, 08:51 PM
I used filtered water at room temperature and the thin ends immediately started to peel off, through the day I lifted the tape with tweezers. I placed between two paper towels and between some heavy books for 2 hours, swapped the paper towels and left overnight.

I'd say if you soaked a few more of the rough ones and experiment with temperature and time you may get some better results.

T206DK
02-21-2013, 09:19 PM
try a heat gun first or blow dryer. depending on the age of the tape this may work well. Older tapes and the adhesives they used can also be removed with solvents like xylene and toluene.