PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone on the board win this T206 Piedmont 350-460 Factory 42?

wolf441
02-09-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm hoping that I at least lost out to a fellow board member! It was at $34.22 until 3 seconds left. I was going up to $205, but got blown out of the water. I thought that it might sneak under the radar....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150989653377?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Leon
02-09-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm hoping that I at least lost out to a fellow board member! It was at $34.22 until 3 seconds left. I was going up to $205, but got blown out of the water. I thought that it might sneak under the radar....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150989653377?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I wish as I still need a P42. I should have gotten one way back when they could be had for not a lot of money. Oh well, glad I picked up what I did. I couldn't afford half of my cards today. :)

mrvster
02-09-2013, 09:43 AM
i saw it and got on it first, but i had other fish to fry and got it to a good guy....a fellow board member did get it and went to a great guy thank God!!:) (not that you didn't deserve it steve:o) sorry you didn't get it).....piedy 42's are extremely undervalued and are sleepers;)

Who won my Dunn:mad:??????????

wolf441
02-09-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm just happy that it went to one of the Net54 guys. Really cool card and with a neat back stamp to boot....:)

mrvster
02-09-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm sure if buyer upgrades in future he will give you a shot....i'll let him know if I can:) , or he will just see this thread:D

frankbmd
02-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Why not just have a lottery of Net54 members who (need, want or would like to have) the next Factory 42 Piedmont?

Or would this be considered (a reverse shill, an anti-shill or a de-sniped) auction?

Leon
02-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Why not just have a lottery of Net54 members who (need, want or would like to have) the next Factory 42 Piedmont?

Or would this be considered (a reverse shill, an anti-shill or a de-sniped) auction?

It doesn't seem to ever work that easily Frank. Someone, not a board member, will inevitably come out of the woodwork and spoil it for all of us. :cool: I like the way you think though!!

atx840
02-09-2013, 10:41 AM
I was the underbidder :(

It went to a very good home.

frankbmd
02-09-2013, 10:54 AM
It doesn't seem to ever work that easily Frank. Someone, not a board member, will inevitably come out of the woodwork and spoil it for all of us. :cool: I like the way you think though!!

I know that we (Net54) do not have the market cornered.

I also know that shilling is illegal:eek:,

but I don't believe that there is any law to compel us to bid on an item we want,

so would conspiring not to bid violate any laws?

Just wonderin'.

wolf441
02-09-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm sure if buyer upgrades in future he will give you a shot....i'll let him know if I can:) , or he will just see this thread:D

Thanks for keeping me in mind, I really appreciate it!!:)

Leon
02-09-2013, 12:20 PM
I know that we (Net54) do not have the market cornered.

I also know that shilling is illegal:eek:,

but I don't believe that there is any law to compel us to bid on an item we want,

so would conspiring not to bid violate any laws?

Just wonderin'.

I think the answer is usually yes it's illegal but, in our hobby, it is almost never enforced...from wiki.....

"Collusion is an agreement between two or more parties, sometimes illegal and therefore secretive, to limit open competition by deceiving, misleading, or defrauding others of their legal rights, or to obtain an objective forbidden by law typically by defrauding or gaining an unfair advantage.[citation needed] It is an agreement among firms or individuals to divide a market, set prices, limit production or limit opportunities.[1] It can involve "wage fixing, kickbacks, or misrepresenting the independence of the relationship between the colluding parties".[2] In legal terms, all acts affected by collusion are considered void.[3]"

steve B
02-09-2013, 04:24 PM
I think the answer is usually yes it's illegal but, in our hobby, it is almost never enforced...from wiki.....

"Collusion is an agreement between two or more parties, sometimes illegal and therefore secretive, to limit open competition by deceiving, misleading, or defrauding others of their legal rights, or to obtain an objective forbidden by law typically by defrauding or gaining an unfair advantage.[citation needed] It is an agreement among firms or individuals to divide a market, set prices, limit production or limit opportunities.[1] It can involve "wage fixing, kickbacks, or misrepresenting the independence of the relationship between the colluding parties".[2] In legal terms, all acts affected by collusion are considered void.[3]"

It's usually hard to prove. Most stuff like that is done somewhat privately and most of the time it doesn't make a huge difference in price.

But a group of stamp companies got in big trouble for making arrangements about who would buy certain large lots or collections at auction. I think the restitution was around 3 million. They were turned in by a disgruntled employee who saved memos.

And at a live auction one time I saw two people in the front row bidding against each other. At one point one turned to the other and said "How about I stop now and we'll split it" They were close enough the auctioneer heard and stopped the auction. He told them not to do that, or to do it beforehand somewhere he couldn't hear. Also that he could have them arrested. Then he restarted the bidding at the high bid when he stopped it but asked for another bidder. That way the final bid would be above the point where they colluded. I think it went for 50-60 more.

Steve B