PDA

View Full Version : Question on How S74 Silks are graded

GregMitch34
02-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Got back from SGC today a silk that appears near-perfect--great cut, centered, no loose threads, good image, not even much of a fold. But graded A with note "missing back." I knew back was missing but did not know that automatically means an A--or does it? I thought not.

Republicaninmass
02-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Same thing happened with me on a Chance. However the ones that had no back, are gradable numerically

edhans
02-08-2013, 05:10 PM
If it was a colored S74, you may have a complaint. If it was a white silk, it must have the original back to get anything more than "AUT". Can you post a scan?

GregMitch34
02-08-2013, 05:27 PM
It is a white. I'd swear I've seen whites with no backing get a grade, but maybe not.

Well, at least I got a half point bump on a PSA card I sent at same time.

Leon
02-08-2013, 05:46 PM
It is a white. I'd swear I've seen whites with no backing get a grade, but maybe not.

Well, at least I got a half point bump on a PSA card I sent at same time.

If a white one got a numerical grade without a paper back it would be a mistake...and mistakes can happen.

Republicaninmass
02-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Pretty sure if ad is on front, card is identified numerically as if there was no back

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1911-S74-SILKS-EDGAR-WILLETT-OLD-MILL-CIGARETTES-SGC-40-/00/s/NzM3WDQxOA==/$(KGrHqV,!p8FBmuJR9SJBQp,UWokow~~60_3.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1909-S74-SILKS-WHITE-HARRY-STEINFELDT-CUBS-SGC-A-AUTHENTIC-/00/s/ODAyWDEwMTY=/$T2eC16h,!wsE9suw0QRuBP+getDTIw~~60_57.JPG

GregMitch34
02-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Okay, I get it.

One other thing. I have a thing about (against) "baggies." Don't bid on or buy any card, with very rare exceptions, that is in any kind of covering (except the slab plastic). I hate the Silks in bags so I asked SGC to do mine without it and they agreed. Yes, it only got an "A" but it looks fantastic--shiny even--in the slab without the baggy.

Also I just switched a very nice NM card of another type out of a PSA holder only for that "baggy" reason and happily got a 7.5 from SGC but that's just a bonus because it looks 100% without the bag. I guess we all have our hangups. Don't get me started on centering.