PDA

View Full Version : Can You Identify Any of These People From This eBay Photo Auction?

Jerry G
02-07-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure why, but this picture really intrigues me. The first two in the second row might be Bill Dickey and Ralph Branca. First row, second person is boxer and Black Sox associate, Abe Attell. The small man in the center with the hat is bowler Joe Falcaro. Gene Stanley is supposed to be there, but I don't see anyone who looks like my 1951T Ringside. Do you?

Who else can you ID and what is the joyous occassion?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190702422432?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

thecatspajamas
02-07-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm not sure why, but this picture really intrigues me. The first two in the second row might be Bill Dickey and Ralph Branca. First row, second person is boxer and Black Sox associate, Abe Attell. The small man in the center with the hat is bowler Joe Falcaro. Gene Stanley is supposed to be there, but I don't see anyone who looks like my 1951T Ringside. Do you?

Who else can you ID and what is the joyous occassion?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190702422432?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Did you just overlook the scan of the back the seller posted?

Jerry G
02-07-2013, 02:24 PM

I'll be danged! I guess I did. Thanks, Lance.

thecatspajamas
02-07-2013, 02:29 PM
:D
Good news is, you got 3 out of 4 of your ID's right (better than I could have done without the caption)!

CW
02-07-2013, 02:43 PM

Would've been funny if you would've just posted the complete list as if you had guessed them all on your own.... :D We would've been impressed for a little while at least. :)

Leerob538
02-07-2013, 02:47 PM
aww bummer , I spotted Gene Stanley MR. America before the caption, Ralph Branca also. Gene Stanley was something. I just watched one of his wrestling matches on Youtube.

Lee

Michael B
02-07-2013, 04:54 PM
This photo has quite an interesting mix of athletes from many sports:

Baseball - Branca, Barney
Basketball - Braun
Bowling - Falcaro
Golf - Sutcliffe
Tennis - Wood, Cooke
Cycling - LeTournier ('le diable rouge')
Hockey - Stanley, Lund (2nd Finn in the NHL)
Olympic Figure Skating - Seigh
Boxing - Oma, Savold, Belloise, Attell, Levine, Aaronson

From what I can tell four of them are still alive - Branca, Stanley, Lund and Seigh. Artie Levine died a year ago last month. I got Seigh's signature TTM last year.

Maybe someone can fill in the rest.

Cheers,

Michael

JollyElm
02-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Anyone know the date/year of this photograph?