PDA

View Full Version : M.P. & Co Photoprints?

conor912
02-05-2013, 08:56 PM
the sketchiness of this grading company aside, anyone know anything about this set? I have never seen it before.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=M.p.+Ruth&_sacat=0&_from=R40

drc
02-05-2013, 09:09 PM
MP & Co made a legit self developing photo issue, I thought circa 1930, including Ruth, Gehrig, Mary Pickford (?), Charles Lindberg and Herbert Hoover.

The problem is the original negative the kid received could be used to make laser prints, so it's best to buy the entire kid and not just the photo card. The real value is in the kid-- envelope, negative and card.

I don't know about a 1948 MP & Co issue, though I may not be up to date on all the issues.

Fred
02-05-2013, 09:09 PM
From the Standard Catalog:

"One of several 1930s-1940s kits for do-it-yourself production photos, this issue was produced in NYC by the novelty firm MP&Co. A complete outfit consists of a film negative and a piece of light-sensitive paper for producing the photo. The negative and resulting photo measure about 2" x 2-1/4". The issue includes 13 subjects, mostly non-sport, but including Babe Ruth. Values shown are for the negative/print pairs. Individual pieces would be prorated, with the negative the most valuable component."

What's being sold is just the photo. Worse yet, it's in a PRO holder. I remember my first Joe Dimaggio card was a 1949 MP&Co card (R302-2). I picked it up in the mid 70's. Talk about an ugly card.... Nope, I don't have it anymore...

novakjr
02-06-2013, 07:38 AM
Oh c'mon fred. Sure, they're ugly, but it's hard not to love those crappy '43 and '49's...

Back to the card/photo at hand. The problem with the "prints" is that there's no definitive way to date them, that's why the kit/negative really holds most of the value. That thing could be 60 years old, or it could've been made last month with vintage(or modern) photo paper.

Those things do tend to sell for decent prices though. Much like the Ray-O-Prints from the '30's, I'd say in the $30-50 range. Probably because people don't know anything about them.

Sorry, for the photo's, just showing some love for the '43 and '49s.

Paul S
02-06-2013, 08:08 AM
MP&Co has come up before on the post-war side. I think the last time was on the old forum so you prolly have to dig. Actually it likely DOES belong in a PRO holder!