PDA

View Full Version : Redemption cards

JBird
02-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Here's a question I hope I can get answered. Why do people buy the used redemption cards? If the code had already been used what does the used card do for you? Do people buy it and tell the companies that the code doesn't work???? I feel like I should start selling them and stop throwing them out after I use the code.

peterose4hof
02-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Most of the time I think the bidders believe they are getting an unredeemed/unused redemption. I'm sure alot of the winnning bidders end up filing a case against the sellers. Considering Ebay's pro-buyers policy, the buyer probably wins the case.

The manufacturers (Topps, Upper Deck, etc) track all of the redemptions in their computer system thus minimizing the opportunity for fraud so I don't think someone could say the code didn't work.

JBird
02-06-2013, 06:18 AM
thats what i figured. but its just crazy even in the title of the item it says USED and people still buy it.

bn2cardz
02-06-2013, 07:17 AM
It could be that they have become collectible to some people because they have a player's name on it and are just as rare as the card it was redeemed for... well maybe rarer because people threw away some of them.

If people are willing to collect this card just because there is a name on it, I could see why the redemption cards could be collected.
http://www.sportscardfun.com/alex-cutout.jpg

novakjr
02-06-2013, 07:49 AM
It could be that they have become collectible to some people because they have a player's name on it and are just as rare as the card it was redeemed for... well maybe rarer because people threw away some of them.

If people are willing to collect this card just because there is a name on it, I could see why the redemption cards could be collected.
http://www.sportscardfun.com/alex-cutout.jpg

Just like the 1992-93 Shaquille O'neal Upper Deck redemption cards..punched/unpunched, there's still some value.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-93-Upper-Deck-Unpunched-Shaquille-O-Neal-RC-Trade-Card-/110961454398?pt=US_Basketball&hash=item19d5d16d3e
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Shaquille-Oneal-rookie-card-Magic-with-redemption-card-RC-/330797997706?pt=US_Basketball&hash=item4d0518de8a

HaloFan
02-06-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm one of those who'd buy redeemed redemption cards simply for the significance of the promotion. The Upper Deck Shaq being one of them. The current ones with internet codes probably not but in any case I would not want to pay much for redeemed cards. For obvious reasons, I've paid a lot for the cancelled/redeemed George C. Millers as they are quite collectible and the uncancelled ones are either too expensive or hard to find.

Craig H

JBird
02-06-2013, 10:14 AM
ok thats some good insight guys i never thought about it in that light. maybe ill throw my used redemption code cards up there and see what i could get for them i have ones from Strasburg/Heyward dual auto, Middlebrooks and a Rocky Bridges 52 reprint auto. if i could get $5 for those cards id be happy. otherwise they are junk to me... i might have even thrown out the Strasburg/Heyward dual auto redemption card already. gonna have to look and see.

steve B
02-06-2013, 12:47 PM
I can't really see it for this years Topps code cards. But last years had pictures and numbers so it was more like an insert set.

And some of us just have to have as many of the available cards as possible.
Crazy- probably. I'm sure none of the new ones will be anything like the late 50's checklist or contest/offer cards.

I do collect them from Signature Rookies. So much of their later products had loads of redemptions. They made tons of stuff for such a small company, most of it poorly cataloged at best.

I sent in a few, but never got the items. Same for the giant size Pacific football. I had a redemption for really nice card and never got it.

Steve B

JBird
02-06-2013, 01:09 PM
what I'm seeing is people bidding on the high end product redemption cards like the new Topps five star baseball. these high end products i cant afford which is the same reason i cant get into the older stuff like most of you all do. buying my first house and getting married takes away about 90% of my pay check.