PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a raw T206 at a card show today...

Eric72
02-02-2013, 02:39 PM
...which I had never done before. Ever. As some of you here on this board know, Pre-War material is new to me...so this was a big deal for me personally.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the card is pictured below. Please let me know if it is a fake that Ray Charles could have spotted...or altered in some way (trimmed, bleached, etc.)

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/EricsPhotographs/2013-02-02_Front_zpsfb6c087c.jpg

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/EricsPhotographs/2013-02-02_Back_zps23833eb6.jpg

It was inexpensive, so I won't be heartbroken if the verdict comes back that I should have left it on the dealer's table and kept walking.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Best Regards,

Eric

ullmandds
02-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Looks good to me! Nice! Funny as they used to only come that way...raw!

chaddurbin
02-02-2013, 02:50 PM
nice card. touch it, rub it, smell it.

bunst
02-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Yes indeed, that's a good one. Congrats!

novakjr
02-02-2013, 02:58 PM
How is that you managed to post a card of a deaf guy, yet still managed to make a joke about a blind guy?:eek:

Anyways, it looks good.

Eric72
02-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I truly appreciate it.

Best,

Eric

Eric72
02-02-2013, 03:04 PM
How is that you managed to post a card of a deaf guy, yet still managed to make a joke about a blind guy?:eek:

Anyways, it looks good.
David,

I laughed out loud when I saw this...and the picture...thank you:D

Best,

Eric

Matthew H
02-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Look at the surface and edges with a loupe. If you don't have one, get one they're cheap.

Over time, you will notice the difference between a factory edge and a razored/filed one. Also, look at your graded cards with a loupe.

Congrats on your first time getting to touch one of your cards!

novakjr
02-02-2013, 05:03 PM
David,

I laughed out loud when I saw this...and the picture...thank you:D

Best,

Eric

No problem Eric.:D

AndyG09
02-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Eric,

Not only does it look good, Dummy Taylor is a nice minor leaguer to own. Congrats on your purchase!

Best,

Andy

Eric72
02-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Look at the surface and edges with a loupe. If you don't have one, get one they're cheap.

Over time, you will notice the difference between a factory edge and a razored/filed one. Also, look at your graded cards with a loupe.

Congrats on your first time getting to touch one of your cards!
Matt,

Many thanks for the advice. I have a 16X that I took with me today. I was primarily looking to authenticate the card through looking at the printing process...chromolithography, if I am not mistaken.

As for the surface and edges, what should I be looking for?

Best,

Eric

E93
02-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Nice card and very real. Like the others, I suggest handling and really getting to know the feel of T206s, as well as looking at it closely under a loupe. Experience is the best way to get to know this stuff.
JimB

Eric72
02-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Eric,

Not only does it look good, Dummy Taylor is a nice minor leaguer to own. Congrats on your purchase!

Best,

Andy
Andy,

Thanks for the feedback...I truly appreciate it.

It was a leap of faith to buy a raw T206 at this early stage of my Pre-War collecting...glad to know my insticnts led me down the right path.

Best,

Eric

Al C.risafulli
02-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Great-looking card.

Graded cards are cool, but I echo the sentiments here, about getting to know T206s by collecting some raw ones and understanding how natural T206s should look and feel.

For edges, I'd also refer to this article right here on Net54, which is a great primer on detecting T206 alterations:

http://net54baseball.com/forum/content/trimming.html

Good luck!
-Al

packs
02-02-2013, 05:31 PM
A lot of the reprints have a black font rather than the brownish kind of font authentic ones have. One of the things I look out for.

Eric72
02-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Nice card and very real. Like the others, I suggest handling and really getting to know the feel of T206s, as well as looking at it closely under a loupe. Experience is the best way to get to know this stuff.
JimB
Jim,

Thank you very much. I appreciate your feedback and the sound advice.

I will scrutinize the Dummy Taylor and learn as much as one possibly can by analyzing one particular example. Along the way, I imagine more than a few questions will arise. Would it be OK to reach out?

Best,

Eric

Eric72
02-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Great-looking card.

Graded cards are cool, but I echo the sentiments here, about getting to know T206s by collecting some raw ones and understanding how natural T206s should look and feel.

For edges, I'd also refer to this article right here on Net54, which is a great primer on detecting T206 alterations:

Good luck!
-Al
Al,

Thank you for providing a link to this resource. I shall look into it with great interest.

Sincerely,

Eric

Matthew H
02-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Matt,

Many thanks for the advice. I have a 16X that I took with me today. I was primarily looking to authenticate the card through looking at the printing process...chromolithography, if I am not mistaken.

As for the surface and edges, what should I be looking for?

Best,

Eric

Sometimes you'll run into a card with some color added to the surface. On a t206 just make sure the dot pattern stays consistent through out, and the entire surface should have the clay layer intact. (unless there is paper loss)

Eric72
02-02-2013, 05:43 PM
A lot of the reprints have a black font rather than the brownish kind of font authentic ones have. One of the things I look out for.
packs,

Thank you for the info. One of the few things I do know about the printing of T206 cards is that the name and team were printed using a process that causes the lettering to look as though it was created by a series of brown "splotches" strung together...the lines (at the edges) are not completely straight.

Does this concur with what you have seen?

Please let me know. I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Eric

Eric72
02-02-2013, 05:46 PM
,,,the entire surface should have the clay layer intact. (unless there is paper loss)

Matt,

Clay layer?

This is a new term to me. Please let me know what this means.

Pardon my ignorance, As mentioned earlier in this thread, I am new to Pre-War material.

Best,

Eric

Matthew H
02-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Sorry, the white layer on the front of the card.

Runscott
02-02-2013, 05:54 PM
nice card. touch it, rub it, smell it.

Then stop.

:eek:

Eric72
02-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Then stop.

:eek:
Scott,

Thanks for the advice...it is much appreciated. After giving the Dummy Taylor a sniff to make sure the card was not chemically altered, I put it away...in a soft sleeve and hard plastic top loader.

Best Regards,

Eric

cincyredlegs
02-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Great-looking card.

Good luck!
-Al

Thanks for the link. I just checked it out and it will come in VERY handy.

Mark

wazoo
02-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Beautiful card Eric :) the ink in the name is usually a giveaway. Best regards, and funny joke :)

Bocabirdman
02-02-2013, 07:07 PM
eBay and auction houses aside, there is a certain rush to seeing a card in person, making sure that the grade suits you and feeling confident in its authenticity. Old school coolness is hard to beat. Instant rewards instead of winning and waiting for it to show up, you may have just convinced me to go to the local show next weekend. The mortgage can wait......:D

Drew6
02-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Hey Eric - Nice pick up on the Dummy Taylor- I was the guy you got the Ripken RC from at the show. I set up there on the first Sat. of just about each month for my friend Dave. If you come again- swing over and say hi. Best wishes and happy collecting - Drew

Eric72
02-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Beautiful card Eric :) the ink in the name is usually a giveaway. Best regards, and funny joke :)
Thanks, Waz.

I see your T206 collection is coming along nicely...great to see:D

Eric72
02-03-2013, 10:25 AM
eBay and auction houses aside, there is a certain rush to seeing a card in person, making sure that the grade suits you and feeling confident in its authenticity. Old school coolness is hard to beat. Instant rewards instead of winning and waiting for it to show up, you may have just convinced me to go to the local show next weekend. The mortgage can wait......:D

Mike,

You hit the nail on the head...it was a rush.

Instant gratification rocks, too. As much as I appreciate the quick turnaround time that most sellers provide, there's nothing quite like walking away from a dealer's table with a newfound treasure...and no waiting time.

Best,

Eric

x2drich2000
02-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Eric, what show was this at and were there any other pre-war cards available?

Thanks
DJ

Eric72
02-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Hey Eric - Nice pick up on the Dummy Taylor- I was the guy you got the Ripken RC from at the show. I set up there on the first Sat. of just about each month for my friend Dave. If you come again- swing over and say hi. Best wishes and happy collecting - Drew
Drew,

I appreciate the feedback on the Taylor. I am definitely happy to have snagged it.

And thanks for setting up at the show yesterday. It was great to meet you. The Ripken is awesome...I'm glad you brought it along.

I am in Lancaster County on a regular basis and will definitely be back to that show soon. I look forward to seeing you again then.

Best Regards,

Eric

Eric72
02-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Eric, what show was this at and were there any other pre-war cards available?

Thanks
DJ
DJ,

Days Inn & Suites
1492 Lititz Pike
Lancaster, PA 17601

Yes, there were other Pre-War cards there. For a small show, it had a great mix of material.

They set up on the first Saturday of each month, so far as I can tell...although I always confirm before I go. Beckett Show Calendar online is one resource. I am certain there are others.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Eric

mrvster
02-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Eric,

Congrats!!! That is a great Card! about a $40.00 card market in that cond./ back....A beauty!! Your gonna be addicted tho:) You made a great choice:D

keep picking them up, they are great to own

Good Luck

Peace

Johnny V

Eric72
02-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Eric,

Congrats!!! That is a great Card! about a $40.00 card market in that cond./ back....A beauty!! Your gonna be addicted tho:) You made a great choice:D

keep picking them up, they are great to own

Good Luck

Peace

Johnny V

Johnny V,

Great to hear from you...hope all is well.

Thanks for the info on the Taylor. Along with snagging a nice card, I got it at a great price. Not that the monetary side matters to me that much...I have no intention of parting with this particular T206 anytime soon. Nothing quite like the first time, right?

Happy Super Bowl Sunday. And have a great week.

Best Regards,

Eric

mrvster
02-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Eric!!

You to Bud.....keep getting those T206, THEY ARE AWESOME!
That Taylor you will remember and cherish for many years, it will be one you will never want to part with, trust me;)