PDA

View Full Version : OT: Looking for quality comics related board (BST)

tschock
02-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Does anyone here have any experience with a decent comics related board (similar to Net54) that they can point me to? Specifically I'm looking for something with strong buy/sell/trade activity. Thanks!

Ronnie73
02-01-2013, 06:35 PM
If you find one, let me know. I used to run one at comicplace.com but after the market was flooded with all the special covers and mass production numbers, website interest went way down and I shut it down around 2002. I still have the domain and might one day start it up again.

Runscott
02-01-2013, 07:09 PM
If you find one, let me know. I used to run one at comicplace.com but after the market was flooded with all the special covers and mass production numbers, website interest went way down and I shut it down around 2002. I still have the domain and might one day start it up again.

Same here. I've got about !,000 Silver Age I need to sell, but hate to deal with ebay.

Paul S
02-01-2013, 07:49 PM
No way would you find a comic BST that is similar to the one you would find on a CARD Net54. It doesn't exist, unless it is underground, which I know nothing about, as I continue to search out my Dad's comic book work, which he moonlighted for a decade while having a lifelong career in the animation biz.

tschock
02-01-2013, 08:09 PM
I've found a couple (http://www.comicbookclassifieds.com/ and http://www.comicspriceguide.com/default.aspx) that might work, but not sure yet how much of a "craigslist" the first is (where everyone sells and no one buys) or a royal PITA the second is. I was looking to see if anyone had any direct experience with any of these (or others).

I'm sure neither will be like a Net54 as well. *sigh*

I have sold some through https://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics (I believe it's part of Lone Star) about a year or so ago and they paid some fairly reasonable prices for what I sold, which was low-mid level stuff that wasn't in high demand but it allowed them to 'restock". It was worth it to not have to deal with ebay or "the public". :) I think there was only a couple books where we had a grade difference of opinion (which worked both ways) so the estimate of what I had was VERY close to what they offered (it might have been slightly higher my way).

tschock
02-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Same here. I've got about !,000 Silver Age I need to sell, but hate to deal with ebay.

If you have a list or rough idea, let me know. As with my card collection, I'm looking to "trim the fat" (as well as some meat) but at the same time there are some I might be interested in to help fill in some holes. I could also point you to a potential want list for me, but it's not prioritized, so the reach of that want list would definitely exceed my pocketbook. ;)

Runscott
02-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Okay. I've posted about this grouping several times over the last 10 years :), but every time I sit down to create a list and descriptions, I am overwhelmed and put them back up. But I really think I can do it this time.

Jewish-collector
02-01-2013, 09:10 PM
I know Heritage Auctions has a nice comic book division. You can consign with them.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Valiantfans.com is a great message board. It is focused on valiant comics.

jcmtiger
02-01-2013, 10:51 PM
I know Heritage Auctions has a nice comic book division. You can consign with them.

I contacted Heritage about some comics a while back. They were not interested in comics 1970's or later.

Joe

thecatspajamas
02-01-2013, 11:42 PM
www.atomicavenue.com is probably the closest to what you are looking for that I am aware of. It uses the ComicBase software as its basis, and is basically like choosing each issue you have from a massive catalog and listing the grade for it. I think the free version of the ComicBase software handles something like 500(?) issues and once you have your collection cataloged, you just tell it to upload, and they all go live on the atomicavenue website. The one drawback is that you can only list single issues (no sets or runs). That, and sales tend to be rather slow.

I use the ComicBase software myself for its comprehensive information, but no longer list on atomicavenue due to low sales volume and the troubles that arise from listing the same inventory in 2 locations (there and eBay). If you're wanting to move comics quickly, eBay is still the best way to go.

Shameless plug: I do sell on eBay and accept consignments, so feel free to shoot me a list or some idea of what you have. You can check me out under eBay ID thecatspajamas99. I've been there since 1997, and can give you a realistic idea of what to expect.

ghooper33
02-02-2013, 07:09 AM
I am starting to dabble in comics and I have found these two website helpful. I have only been dabbling for a couple of months, but I am unaware of any issues with these two sites:

CGC is the leading TPG of the comics world and their forums are informative and have had pretty good BST boards - http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm&c=5

It isn't comparable to Net54, but http://comics.gpanalysis.com/default.asp is the VCP equivalent.

Hope this helps!